LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Can someone help or give me some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:04 PM

Can someone help or give me some advice

Hi guys, i know this may sound stupid but i wanted some advice. I have a 2000 Z28 with 83,000 miles on it. I changed the oil using the Mobil clean high mileage oil 5w30. My neighbor come over after i was done and he noticed what i used, he said i should have used Mobil 1 instead and i should have flushed my engine with a top engine cleaner or something. He said i should drain it out and start over, with new. I told him he was nuts, but it got me thinking. Should i start over with this and clean the engine then do mobil 1? Or am i alright?
Old 04-30-2005, 12:45 PM

Re: Can someone help or give me some advice

Unless the engine has not been properly maintained with regular oil changes, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Sure you could use Mobil 1 on your next change, but for now, get your moneys worth out of the oil you just put in. BTW, unless your engine has leaks or other signs of old age, no need to use "high mileage" type oil. 83k isn't high miles these days.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:58 PM

Angle, hey thanks for the reply. It doesnt leak or burn oil, it does have some piston slap though. If i go to Mobil 1 next time around it should be cool? Thanks
Old 04-30-2005, 05:08 PM

Yes, like was said, get your money's worth from this change and then go to synthetic.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:26 PM

Yes, you will need new oil.......in about 3 months or 3000 miles which ever comes first.

Your neighbor is the one who has it wrong. Engine flushes are a waste of time and money for a properly functioning engine that is well maintained. Actually, the flush may cause more damage than good--by reducing the lubricative properties of your oil with solvents. All name brand oils on the market today (conventional, blends, and full synthetics--including high milage formulations) have been reviewed by the API (American Petroleum Institute). This review results in a rating that designates how/where the oil may be used. As long as the oil you used has a rating that meets or exceeds the design requirements for the LS1, you're fine. Check your owner's manual and the API seal on the back of your oil bottle. The current API rating I believe is "SM".

As was stated earlier, there is no need to use high milage formulations on your car unless it has been neglected. Neglect, meaning that it has not had regular oil changes and is using/losing oil because of worn seals, bad rings, leaky gaskest etc. When they are new, quality oils have chemical additives that condition seals, inhibit corrosion, pH balancers, and detergents to keep deposits from forming. High milage formulations claim to have more of the chemicals that cause seals and gaskets to swell, effectively lengthening their service life--not necessary on an engine with no abnormal oil consumption problems.

Long story short, keep your oil. Get rid of your neighbor. jk
Old 04-30-2005, 10:04 PM

Top engine cleaner isn't even an engine flush.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:46 PM

Greed,
My mistake. I guess I did not understand why his neighbor would make the comment regarding the use of an oil that in his opinion should be removed and flushed. I guess I was thinking of a flush being used to wash the valve seals of the high milage oil's conditioners (top engine). But, top engine cleaners in the context you are referring to are a good thing when they are needed.

BTW, how are things in TX? I used to live east of Dallas, before I was relocated to Orlando, FL.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Thanks guys, i will run this oil out to the 3000 mi mark. Im going to switch over to synthetic next time, should i have the engine flushed when i do it or is that not necessary? Thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 01:03 AM

overall, synthetic is pretty overrated. True the basic lubricants don't wear out, but the cleaners and added stuff tends to cause sludge if the oil isn't changed often.

Just keep going with your normal oil and change it every 10,000 miles, every 5,000 if you race it often.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by danksontl
Greed,
My mistake. I guess I did not understand why his neighbor would make the comment regarding the use of an oil that in his opinion should be removed and flushed. I guess I was thinking of a flush being used to wash the valve seals of the high milage oil's conditioners (top engine). But, top engine cleaners in the context you are referring to are a good thing when they are needed.

BTW, how are things in TX? I used to live east of Dallas, before I was relocated to Orlando, FL.
Its all good. I was looking at how the neighbor said to flush with it. Wasn't even referring to your post.

TX is doing well and is being good to us. I've been back for a year now, after a ~7 year hiatus in Oklahoma. Granted I was in Houston before (grew up there), but I like the lower humidity of the DFW area.