LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Airlid questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 02:42 PM

Airlid questions

OK, so I bought the SLP for 95 bucks at Speed Inc (about 20 minutes from my house) .....anyways, I now have a couple questions:

1) Anyone have trouble with those stupid hold down clips? If so, how did you get them to be a little more secure?

2) What the heck do I do with the large hose coming in from (I think the EGR)? I have it jammed in there kinda right now, but it's not exactly air tight. I plan on eventually getting a new intake w/out provisions...but what can I do for now?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Re: Airlid questions

The tube shoved in the driver's side of the air box goes to the A.I.R. unit. The adapter and rubber gromet they gave you should seal it up fairly well. The other option would be to block off the hole and get a seperate breather filter for the tube from a place like Autozone. As for your problem with the metal clips that are holding down the lid...you need to make sure the lid is on correctly. They will pop off if it isn't. Make sure the lid has all four tabs in back in their seats the best you can (without cracking the lid). Also, on the front of the lid (inbetween the metal clips) there is a bit of a "lip" on the lid. That needs to tuck inside the lower box - not hang over the edge. I made that mistake when I first got my lid and the metal clips kept popping off. Looked at a friend's car and was like, "DOOOH!"
Old 05-27-2005, 10:59 PM

I had the same problem with the clips on my SLP lid when I first put it on. The clips were like pressure sensitive mouse traps. Make sure the filter is laid in OK and like Dmon said, once you get the lid on correctly, the clips will work just fine.
Here's a picture of my lid.

The adaptor hose and fiitings worked OK, except I shorten it a little to pull it towards the radiator. See this picture:

Here's a picture of the parts that came with the SLP lid kit:
Old 05-28-2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Also, on the front of the lid (inbetween the metal clips) there is a bit of a "lip" on the lid. That needs to tuck inside the lower box - not hang over the edge.
Everytime I'v seen this posted that was indeed the problem. I made the mistake too.

The middle part gets tucked in like you say and the front corner parts just kind of sit on top.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Looks like I got screwed on some parts then...I don't have the nice little hose adaptor thingy-ma-bop! Grrrrrrr..... Well, I think that I will just plug the air box and put a breather on the hose for now. Going to ditch the A.I.R. junk eventually anyhow.....thanks for your replies!!!!!!