General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Poor idea to do several mods at once?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 04:34 PM

Poor idea to do several mods at once?

I have a buddy who has a stack of mods he's been waiting to install. Basically just waiting until I can help, and making sure he has everything together. We were gonna do LT headers,stall, gears,shift kit,tranny cooler,aluminum ds,poly motor mounts,filter/fluid change in the tranny. Also he's probably gonna get a tune from Madwolf while the car is on jackstands to eliminate downtime and correct some of the changes. I know some of those things aren't really mods, but that's just what all were doing to either compliment or go with the actual modifications. Anyway what I wanna know is, is it a bad idea to do so many mods at once? Say for example we have some sort of problem, it would obviously make it harder to track down if the problem wasn't there before modifications. Would it be wiser to do each thing at different times? Maybe a couple days apart even. We figured it'd be much easier to do all the drivetrain stuff at once and it wouldn't hurt to have the tranny out of the way during the LT install, so it's perfect timing. But we're a little worried about problem tracing. What's everyone's opinions?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:59 PM

just do it at once.

as far as I can see you are installing:
LT's
gears
tranny cooler
shift kit

if there is a problem with anything it will be noticable, and unrealated to the other things your installing.

I mean a whine from the rear end couldnt be from headers....
lts wont make the car shift funny...
only think that could be bad is the cool and shift kit, but really, for hte cooler, it leaks or it doesnt.....
Old 05-27-2004, 05:03 PM

Generally I prefer to do things seperately.. so you can find a prob if there is one, also see what each mod DOES[performance wise]
'shift kit,tranny cooler,filter/fluid change in the tranny' would be OK to do at one time..
LT headers [do the motor mounts with the header install],stall, gears [do DS with gears or stall, it comes out then anyway], ARE 'different' enough that if you did have a prob it wouldn't be too hard to pin down..
But to really guage performance gains one at a time is best..
Old 05-27-2004, 11:22 PM

I like to do mods one at a time too, unless it makes sense to do them together, like headers and plug wires. That way if there is a problem you can narrow it down quickly.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:09 PM

It sounds like your friend is not experiencing any problems at this moment, just wanting to change things up a bit; correct me if I am wrong. As stated above, it would probably be better to space things apart so as to get a feel for what each change has on performance. This will help as far as your knowledge that you will be able to share afterwards. If you did it all at once, all you can say is "well, we did a bunch of stuff and gained quite a few ponies, but I don't really know what had the most impact."