General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How fast are Highway Patrol LS1's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:33 AM

Re: How fast are Highway Patrol LS1's?

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
its BS...theres no 5 speed auto. P R N OD D 2 1 The "5th gear" that you feel is the torque converter locking up
I had a friend who's narcissism was too much for me to take any longer that sweared his bone stock '92 fullsize Chevy pickup had a 5-spd auto in it because he coudn't distinguish between tc lockup and an actual shift, which by the way can be very hard to do, even for the experienced enthusiast sometimes.

Same dude told me that the width of a tire has nothing to do with traction.

I don't miss that nut but I do miss his bizarre notions.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by dabez1
In my town theres a turbo Pt cruiser patrol car
Old 07-24-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
so anyway...the ls1 B4C's around here are sneaky. The look just like a white hardtop ls1(no light bar) and the lettering on the side is a VERY light gold color, so you can barley see it until you are right up to it. The lights are mounted where rear view mirror is, headlights strobe, and lights in little vent looking holes in the grill...those things will come out of no where.
I live in Woodstock and got to see a Marietta Z28 when a lady pulled out and sideswiped me. He came to file the report. He was with some sort of other department, can't remember what it was called but he wasn't regular police. It was white as well, an LS1 car, not sure what year.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:26 PM

I'll tell you what's sneaky. The South Carolina state troopers would sit on the side of the road in their totally unmarked Camaros with the four way flashers on, so you think it's just someone that pulled over for something. Wait, what was this thread about again?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:14 PM

i live near I57 which is the biggest drug trafficing highway in the country and whenever the state police get cars with mass amounts of drugs in them they sieze them. this is the same as the kankakee county shierffs. my buddy got pulled over a few weeks ago by a blacked out 2004 maxima with 19"s on it. The state police district down by me got rid of their enforcer camaros b/c of all the maintence problems they were having a friend of mine that is a master chief in the Illinois state police said that on one of the B4C cars they had, had over $15k of maintenence done to it during the time they had it. (not sure if that was any body damage)

Airtight, when i was in vail, CO the troopers did the same thing

heres another tricky thing. during all of the construction to I57 south there has been a HUGE problem with workers getting hit and speeding through construction zones. so state troopers have been dressing up like road workers and sitting on the side looking like they were eating a lunch and then pulling out radar guns and shooting cars then relaying to the uniformed officer .5 mi down the road its nuts.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
The thing that makes it the fastest is the 2 way radio. Ever try to outrun one of those?

Yeah, the top speed of that radio wave is 3 times ten to the 8th meters per second(approx). Or you could say the speed of light. So if I was in Vegas making a bet, I would put money down on the radio.

ZMAN
Old 07-27-2005, 04:08 PM

The raido is the ony thing I'm not trying to out run
Old 07-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't have time to read everything here, but I wanted to post this:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...7htp_narcotic/

Also, the Detroit-area police Corvette, if it's the one I've seen, is the DARE car for Bloomfield Hills, and it's a 2002 Z06.

-Jake
Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 AM

I cant believe I read 8 pages of this. When I was looking for an LT1 I ask my buddy next door a cop if he knew anyone in the motor pool I could ask questions about the old cars to.

I was told not to buy one for the short block reason being is all there cars (palm beach co.) run on 87. The cost of 93 over a fleet plus the addition of pumps would be to costly. I was advised not to buy because they idle all day long and he said 87 is playin hell on the ls1 cars and some on the LT1's as far as knock retard. Mark later went on to mentioned On a few cars they pull the heads off of from over heating that they had many pits in the piston he feels it comes from detonation. I would buy a lt1 caprice as a rebuildable since they can be had for a good price.

to awnser the first post on page 1.

About over 100 pounds added atleast. 2.73 geared rears and 87 pump gas. so low 14's in the quarter mabe 13.9.

only one in marks fleet is modded it has a slp lid since the stock one was cracked in a pm and the chevy dealersip had that and not a original in stock and they did not want to down the car from service. thats was in mid 2003 when I talk to him at his job.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 AM

A few towns down the road have a debaged 00-02 LS1 z28...and a dare paint sceme 3rd gen w/ wheels..not sure if anything is done to them.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:59 AM

Just wanted to add a few points to the Crown Vics, While, they may be slower than most of our cars, they run like tanks, are safe as hell, and have to be about 4x as easy to work on. All of which make a difference, since most departments beat the hell out of their vehicles.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
Just like I'm telling you it does but it can't seem to seep through your skull? LOL this thread officially became useless when you first posted in it. You've been proved wrong once, but just because I don't have pictures, it means you're right, everyone else is wrong and the thing doesn't exist? seriously, what are you? 17? A transmission swap is easy compared the the multitude of other mods people go to great lengths to make work. The hardest part is fabbing up some pieces that any decent metal-worker could finish in a day or two.

I remember a similar thread several years ago with a guy who bought a used 96 z28, and claimed he thought the previous owner installed an LS1. LOL It was "impossible" then but it's pretty commonplace now. So, I am officially done posting in this thread (seriously now), but I will save it for future reference.
The transmission swap you are implying would not be "easy" by any means. It would be extremely expensive, probably more than the cost of dropping a new (reasonable) powertrain in there, as every part would have to be custom fabricated, and there is no electronic support for what you are saying you have seen. I never, ever, once, have heard someone say dropping an LS1 into an LT1 4gen F-Body was "impossible", they are practically the same car for Christ sakes. Dropping an LS1 in just about anything RWD is going to be much, much easier than your supposed tranny swap. They have LS1 swap kits out for LT1s, Miatas, Rx-7s, I think 240s, etc. I have been to numerous car shows too, and I have never seen a 5 speed tranny in anything GM. I have seen the typical TH350/TH400 swaps into things, but those have been done to death, and are a tried and true transmission that has been around the block more than a few times. Put in me in with the crowd that doesn't believe you, until you get some proof.

About the whole gear selector thing, with neutral being between reverse and park. Besides the whole valve body thing that has been brought up already, why would you locate neutral between park and reverse on an auto. There are times where it might be necessary to shift into neutral while moving; why would a neutral selector be placed after reverse, where someone may accidently drop it into reverse while moving? Doesn't sound like something a good tranny fabricator, which would be required to this kind of work, would do.