General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help!!!! Doors Unlock but do not Lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Help!!!! Doors Unlock but do not Lock

I have a 99 camaro and i installed a viper 5204 alarm/remote start system. Everything worked for a few minutes after I figured out how to wire the 5-wire relays for the door lock and unlock to work.

After it worked for a matter of minutes the doors stopped unlocking and locking with the key remote and the switches inside the car. I realized that I blew a courtesy fuse and after i replaced it the doors began to unlock but they still do not lock. For those that know, the door actuator in the camaro lock with a negative and unlock with a positive charge. however with a multimeter i figure out that the lock wire going to my doors is negative and when i hit the lock button it produces a positive charge. I need to know how this polarity changed because it used to be positive and when i hit the lock button a negative charge.

Tested the actuators and they work and the bcm also works. The car is drivable and everything else works fine. I just i have to manual lock my doors now, but of course i can unlock them with the remote or the switches inside the car. I have tried everything under the sun including disconnecting the battery cables so things can reset and the relearn sequence for the VATs system. If anybody has anything to add please comment as I would appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Re: Help!!!! Doors Unlock but do not Lock

Let's copy this to "General..... F-Body Tech" to see if we can scare up some responses.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

First of all, how did you get an installation manual? I don't see any on the Viper web site and they say they won't warrantee it without authorized installation. Second, they are telling me it requires a special adapter (GM Override Interface XK06 $99) for your car. Did you get it also? Where does this connect to the BCM/locks circuit?

I would attach a schematic for the lock circuit, but this web site will not allow me to do attachments. If you could see that, you would notice that relay #5 inside the BCM is what switches the polarity of the power to the locks. It may be shorted to one position due to excess current draw at some time. Since this is a problem using either the original remotes(?) or the door switches, I think the problem is internal to the BCM.

Without the installation manual for the Viper unit, I can't help more.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Administrator

I was hoping Gary would follow up on this.