General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

dash light help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:09 AM

dash light help

Ok. Just bought a 2000 Z28 SS. upon starting the car it appears the gauge needles where put on wrong when previous owner removed dash overlay. the oil pressure gauge is pinned all the way counter clockwise when the car initially starts but comes up to just below red. there is a tiny orange led above the oil gauge that is on, the car has oil (as checked on dipstick). the fuel gauge is also pinned all the way counter clockwise and when the car has a full tank sits just below E (looks like it tries to sweep what should be the width of the gauge but does not actually indicate on the gauge face. Am i better off buying an oil press. gauge and installing it and abandoning the cluster indication for it. or should i be further concerned that there is a true oil pressure problem. the low oil light is not on. (just can't find any explanation for the tiny led above the oil gauge) car is heavily modified. (heads, cam, injectors, etc)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Re: dash light help

Your in the wrong forum - "Parts For Sale".

I'll move this to "General 67-02 F-Body Tech" where you are more likely to get some help.

The LED above the oil pressure gauge and under the tach is "Service Vehicle". This is an indication of a non-emissions related problem with the vehicle, and is not specific to the oil pressure, although that could be the "problem".

If you don't feel you can correct the locations of the needles, consider buying a replacement cluster from a salvage yard. The odometer can be corrected by a dealer.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Your in the wrong forum - "Parts For Sale".

I'll move this to "General 67-02 F-Body Tech" where you are more likely to get some help.

The LED above the oil pressure gauge and under the tach is "Service Vehicle". This is an indication of a non-emissions related problem with the vehicle, and is not specific to the oil pressure, although that could be the "problem".

If you don't feel you can correct the locations of the needles, consider buying a replacement cluster from a salvage yard. The odometer can be corrected by a dealer.
I have that as a full light. I am having trouble adding a pic to the thread to be able to show it visually. But just to the left of the service light is a small orange led
Old 04-20-2016, 05:39 PM
Administrator

I know where it is, based on the diagram on page 2-78 of the 2000 Camaro Owners Manual. It appeared from that diagram that it was related to the Service Vehicle light, but that is apparently incorrect.

Is there also one on the other side of the dash, at the bottom of the tach? The fact that there are two of them, symmetrically placed and not labeled may indicate that there are supposed to be screws in there, holding the faceplate on. Does that seem like a possibility..... just the dash lighting shining through a screw hole?

If you actually had low oil pressure, the "CHECK GAGES" light should be on.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Those two things showing on the diagram are just the stops for the tach and speedometer needles.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 PM
Administrator

But why would that appear as "a tiny orange LED...... that is on"? Unless someone really messed up the faceplate when they removed the overlay???
Old 04-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

I am just saying they are not screws, but plastic stops molded into the faceplate.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Administrator

I wonder if they broke the left pin off when they added or removed the overlay?