General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Low Coolant light came on again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Low Coolant light came on again.

I thought i had this problem fixed when I had the upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostat replaced.Everything was fine till the other day when the light came on again.So i waited till the next day and removed the cap and the radiator was low(I'm going for a beer now).So I was going to throw the towel in and buy a radiator pressure testing unit.Watched all the utube videos and read some stuff and was going down to harbor freight to buy one,but stopped at autozone and I got to use one free.All I did was leave $81.00 deposit and when I got home I pulled the air intake off and did the pressure test.It seems the two upper radiator hoses where squirting coolant all over the place in a tiny but forceful stream.Tightened the clamps down(I only had pumped to 14 lbs. when this happened).I then released the pressure too fast and a lot of fluid came out of the top of the radiator.I pumped the tester up to 18 lbs. and let it sit for 10 minutes while checking for leaks on top and under the car.Nothing.I returned the tester back and was refunded the full amount.It's autozone loaner program.Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:58 PM

Re: Low Coolant light came on again.

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
I thought i had this problem fixed when I had the upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostat replaced.Everything was fine till the other day when the light came on again.So i waited till the next day and removed the cap and the radiator was low(I'm going for a beer now).So I was going to throw the towel in and buy a radiator pressure testing unit.Watched all the utube videos and read some stuff and was going down to harbor freight to buy one,but stopped at autozone and I got to use one free.All I did was leave $81.00 deposit and when I got home I pulled the air intake off and did the pressure test.It seems the two upper radiator hoses where squirting coolant all over the place in a tiny but forceful stream.Tightened the clamps down(I only had pumped to 14 lbs. when this happened).I then released the pressure too fast and a lot of fluid came out of the top of the radiator.I pumped the tester up to 18 lbs. and let it sit for 10 minutes while checking for leaks on top and under the car.Nothing.I returned the tester back and was refunded the full amount.It's autozone loaner program.Hope this helps.
I guess most testers have a pressure relief valve on the handle but this on is built into the pressure cap so my advice is to turn and release it real slow as to here a hiss to bring the pressure down.Injuneer and shoebox have been telling us for years to use one,but I was afraid to venture into the twilight zone. For me it was simple.Hope this helps someone.my02.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
I guess most testers have a pressure relief valve on the handle but this on is built into the pressure cap so my advice is to turn and release it real slow as to here a hiss to bring the pressure down.Injuneer and shoebox have been telling us for years to use one,but I was afraid to venture into the twilight zone. For me it was simple.Hope this helps someone.my02.
P.S. I did the tb bypass while I was there.Anyway, it takes a week to bring the coolant level up to normal,drive it one day , next say check and add coolant,bleed the screw on top,repeat the next day and the next and the next day till the radiator is full and no more air is coming out of the bleed screw.Sorry for the long post but this stuff drives me nuts,but love the car.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Administrator

You need to follow Shoebox's fill/bleed procedure. Shouldn't take several days or driving the car around.