General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Changing window regulators - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 12:50 PM

Changing window regulators - need advice

Anyone ever change there window regulators or glass before? If so, did you rivets back in or did you use small bolts? If you used rivets did you buy factory rivets or did you just use any ol rivets.

I am in the process of taking the drivers side regulator out. Getting ready to drill out the three rivets that holds the regulator in. I also have to replace the track that is mounted to the widow. One of the guides broke off and will let the window slide back and forth. It has been like that for awhile, just havn't got around to fix it. That guide it also riveted to the window. I have heard of people using rivets and bolts, just thought I would ask for more opions.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Banned

Re: Changing window regulators - need advice

I do not envy you at all.i took my SS to the dealer about 3 weeks ago and the service manager told me most of the techs would rather be shot than have to replace the regulator in a camaro or a corvette.from what he said it is almost impossible for 1 person to do it.something about there being no way to hold the glass up once you remove the regulator.they had to have someone just to hold the glass when they did mine.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:30 PM

My windows are both held in to the main track with nuts and bolts. I had to replace my drivers side door a couple years ago after it had a slight disagreement with the garage door.

I opted to use Stainless Steel bolts with SS Nylon Locknuts. It looks tidy and will be easier to service in the future. I also did the bolts on the passenger door as long as I was getting dirty.

Here are some pictures:

Old 11-25-2005, 02:31 PM

I just removed mine in under a hour. I just lowered the window all the way down until I was ready to remove the regulator, then I raised it up and blocked it with some wood. Pulled the regulator out, then lowered the window back down into the door. Now the fun part, I have to drill the rivets out of the window to replace the track that is broke.

I'm still undecided about the rivets though.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:52 PM

Thanks TABAHR, you must have posted that the same time I was. That is a good idea using the nylon locknuts. I think that is what I will go with.

It also looks like that window is out of the car. Did you put the track back on out side of the car. It does not look like it would fit.

Last edited by smoknta; 11-25-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Ya'll should pass that info n to the dealership that did mine.They looked like the three stooges trying to get that window right.Even after all that,I had to bring it back the next day so they could adjust it.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by smoknta
It also looks like that window is out of the car. Did you put the track back on out side of the car. It does not look like it would fit.
I assembled it outside the car just for the pictures. I was not able to fit the window with the track attached into the door. The gap is too small, it does not fit.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:16 AM

Yeah I didn't think there was any way to assemble it outside the door and actually put it in.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:26 PM

I had to replace a passenger window motor last year in my 94' z-28. I bought a rivet-gun at Home Depot for about $ 20.00 and the largest rivets they had. It took about 1 hour 15-20 minutes to drill out, prop the window up, and pull out the old motor. Next time I will get some help, it's tricky holding the spring loaded arm while trying to re-install the new motor in place. I hope this is useful.