General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

all in all whats a better year to buy 95 or 96? obdi-ii BCM, laptop software...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:50 PM

all in all whats a better year to buy 95 or 96? obdi-ii BCM, laptop software...

talking camaros, z28's specifically... whats a better year 95 or 96, im leaning toward 96 for things like nicer keyfob for keyless, the BCM features like interior light that dims to off, retained accessory power, factory alarm, and i guess obd-ii might be a little better for diagnosing problems, but then again might make mods worse.

anyone know if the dual cat y pipe will bolt right up to a 95 motor? that and the crankshaft position sensor and obd-ii and BCM theres much difference right?

when talking aftermarket software for laptops.... can you alter just as much as with obd-i cars? is the software for OBD-ii nicer and more graphical... i noticed autotap is pretty nice but doesnt seem like u can mod anything just view data.

idk basically im looking for some plusses and downsides of each year i guess.
i plan to run nitrous, maybe supercharge, cam, lt4 knock module, and custom exhaust but not a whole lot more.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Re: all in all whats a better year to buy 95 or 96? obdi-ii BCM, laptop software...

What is "better" depends on how you plan to use the car. If your main concern is the key fob and the dimming courtesy lights, get the 96 or 97. Most people here are more interested in performance than the BCM.

I also offered a few comments to your other post regarding the advantage of different year engine.... you seem to have some misconceptions about the crank position sensor, 3.73 gears, retained accessory power, and a few other things.

There are two kinds of "software"...... software that reads (scans) the data in the PCM:

OBD-I:
-TTS DataMaster
-Freescan
-pcmcomm
-EFILive V4

OBD-II
-Autotap
-PCMScan
-Virtual Dashboard
-Auterra for Palm

(there are numerous OBD-II scan sofwares.... above it just a few of them).

Then there is software that allows you to "tune" the PCM by changing the tables, constants, etc:

OBD-I:
-LT1_Edit
-TunerCat

OBD-II:
-LT1_Edit
-TunerCat version supposed to be available "soon" - not sure if it it out yet.