General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1997 z28 "ABS INOP"

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:39 AM

1997 z28 "ABS INOP"

so i am finishing up my restoration, and i have some connectors that i cannot find homes for... 2 on the driver's side near the braking system, and one on the passenger side down low near the right front wheel. i have looked all over hell's half-acre and cannot find any open sockets missing a connector. the 2 on the driver's side i had labeled "abs" when i disconnected them, but i'll be damned if i can find where they went. and i'm sure some, if not all 3 of these connectors are the source of my "ABS INOP" light on my instrument cluster.

i've looked through shoebox's page hoping to find some pics or diagrams of the abs electrical connections and where they go, but if they are there i haven't yet found them.

i know these wires belong somewhere, but can't find where. can any of you shed some light on my plight?

adv-thanks-ance...
Old 07-26-2021, 06:12 AM

Re: 1997 z28 "ABS INOP"

There is an ABS sensor on the back of each front wheel hub. Two, tightly twisted wires go to each of them. The other connector may go to the ABS module, but pics would help.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:38 AM

yes, i wanted to include pics but didn't have them handy.

these are the two connectors on the driver's side i had labeled "abs" but i'll be damned if i can find where they go.

this is a connector up top on the passenger side. no idea where it goes. maybe the purple insulator is supposed to be a clue, i don't know.

this is the connector down low on the passenger side. both front wheels already have the only connector i could see available already connected at the back of the hub, this might be something else completely unrelated to abs, but i'm not sure.

another view of the passenger side connector. not that great a picture, but you can barely make out the wire and connection already present at the back of the right front wheel hub.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:25 PM

ok... so maybe i have the answer... does the ABS INOP light also come on if the system is low on brake fluid - or in my case practically completely empty because i had to replace some lines? i have not filled and bled the system yet.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Have you considered reading the codes from the ABS control module (EBCM). They will tell you why the ABS INOP light is on.

Just to clarify - this car has not been driven since you started the “restoration”?

Was the ABS INOP light on BEFORE you started the restoration?

Did you find where those harness connectors belonged?

I doubt the EBCM runs all the diagnostics when the car has not been driven. There are codes for things like low voltage.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:24 PM

the car hasn't been on the road for 20+ years. the light was not on before. i have no idea how to read the EBCM codes, unless they are available to the PCM via obd2 fault scanning. but i take it from what you're saying there wouldn't be any codes there?

and no - i still haven't found where those connectors go...
Old 08-07-2021, 10:01 PM
Administrator

My point was it's not likely running diagnostics on things like wheel speed, motor pack operations, etc. So low fluid isn’t going to be detected. But is can check static items like voltage, open circuits (things not plugged in ??), etc. Even a failed center high mounted brake light can set a code and disable ABS.

A dealer Tech-2 can pull the codes, there are Chinese clones of the Tech-2, some readily available OBD-2 scanners can read the EBCM, air bag system in addition to PCM. I'll check to see if GaryDoug's free OBD-2 scanning software can read the EBCM. His Scan9495 software (OBD-1) can.

As far as the mystery connectors, what color is each of wires in each connector? That plus a factory service manual might help find where they go.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:25 PM

*** SOLVED ***

first, thanks folks for all the tips/suggestions.
second, i DO have the factory service manuals for my car. but they're about as user-friendly as wet toilet paper (imo).
third, the solution was this little connector (see pic below) at each wheel that was not connected. the female socket is attached low at the body next to the header primary pipes and is nearly impossible to see or get to... but i managed to get these plugged in and - voila - when i turned the key to the ON position, no more ABS INOP light.
main wiring harness ABS connector (one at each front wheel)

now on to the next problem...
Old 08-15-2021, 11:37 AM
Administrator

the solution was this little connector (see pic below) at each wheel that was not connected.

I'm confused, as usual. In post #3 you indicated "this is the connector down low on the passenger side. both front wheels already have the only connector i could see available already connected at the back of the hub, this might be something else completely unrelated to abs, but i'm not sure".

Did I read that wrong? Or is this the other end of the "jumper" harness for the front wheel sensors?

I agree the FSM can be awkward to use, at first. But using it frequently will reveal the method to their madness. I have every manual on Gary's site on my PC, and use them regularly to help people out. The more you use them, the easier is gets. One fault with the 1996 manual is the fact that there are a few critical pages that are missing. I need to check with Gary to see if he ever got an updated copy.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:58 AM
Administrator

The other thing I forgot to mention..... from your photos, your car has the traction control servo sitting on the driver side valve cover. That does affect the components of the ABS system. ABS and ABS+ASR (TCS on a Firebird) each have there own section in the manual.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:37 PM

i can relate to being confused. seems to be my natural state any time i dare to open the hood of a car. yes - it was the OTHER end of the jumper harness that goes to the connector that is pinned to the body.

as for the FSM... i'd rather have it than not, and you're probably right in that if i spend more time trying to use it my eyes will eventually stop rolling to the back of my head when i look at it.

now on to my next problem... trying to figure out why my key won't engage the starter or turn on the fuel pump (posted on this in a different related thread looking for help -> https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...turned-520803/)