Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Walk me thru some fuel upgrades.. Regulator concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:28 PM

Walk me thru some fuel upgrades.. Regulator concerns.

For some reason, I have researched every possible angle of these crazy F cars (LSx) just not the darn fuel system. I was tech talking w/ my ASE Cert Master Tech of an Uncle, and he asked me what fuel pressure regulator I was going to settle w/... I couldn't answer that Q.

Ok. I have a hook up for MSD parts.. (I'll explain that at a future point, got some stuff in the mail.. *crosses fingers*). I am looking to get some 42lb injectors soon and some high flow rails from LS1 Speed (I buy all my parts from them).. I am also about sold on a Racetronix system for next year maybe.

Regulator recommends? This is for my 2000 Z28 BTW. I am running roughly 400FWHP on current mods. I can't fit all my mods in the sig, no internals yet. LS6 intake, full EXH, 160 stat. -Basically.

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 04-08-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM

I've had pretty good success with my adjustable boost referenced Aeromotive reg. Granted it's for the LT1, but i'm sure you can get one for your LSX. You gonna run your setup over at Area 51 in Roswell when your done?

Ken R.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Isn't the LS1 engine a "dead end" fuel system, with a bypass regulator back in the tank, with the fuel pump assembly?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Your probably right Fred. Thats probably why when you look at reg's in summit, you only see adjustables for LT's and TPI's.

Ken R.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:40 PM

Our car club will be planning 1/4 mi trips and dyno days soon. We really need to get organized.

I have done minimal reading on the LS1 fuel system. I know it has a constant 'bath' fuel pump in a bucket. The unused fuel is used for cooling then spilled over back into the tank. The bowl also serves to provide fuel to the pump during high 'g' corners, braking/stopping. I am unsure about the return side of the operation.

I'll have to dig up some GMHTP archives I have stacked in the corner of my living room.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
I have done minimal reading on the LS1 fuel system. I know it has a constant 'bath' fuel pump in a bucket. The unused fuel is used for cooling then spilled over back into the tank. The bowl also serves to provide fuel to the pump during high 'g' corners, braking/stopping. I am unsure about the return side of the operation.
In that respect, its no different than the LT1 fuel pump. The big difference is the LT1 using a recirulated system (with a return line), with the fuel pressure regulator on the outlet of the fuel rails, and the LSx engines (except the 97 Corvette) using a single line from the tank to the rails (dead ended, no return). The bypass regulator is in the back, as I assume, in the tank. I also believe there are aftermarket LSx fuel rails set up for a recirculated system, which should provide more uniform fuel pressure on very high HP setups.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 AM

^ huh.. Come to think of it, I only have a supply line under the hood. The other is for the EVAP system. THe regulator is between the fuel rails, from what I understand.

That seems like an odd system not to have a return. ... I'll have to do some reading when I get time. How in the heck does that regulate fuel pressure then??? Regulate what hits the injectors I guess..
Old 04-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Administrator

It regulates the pressure at the discharge of the pump, by "bypassing" some of the fuel right back into the tank. That is what a "dead-end" system is - no return line.