Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Think fuel pump is out

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 PM

Think fuel pump is out

Had to have the car towed back home from the store. It's been having problems recently. When I came out from the store and started the car it barely ran at 500rpms, touch of the throttle and it pretty much died. I can't hear the fuel pump working at all and there is only a little bit of air and some drips of fuel coming from schrader valve on the fuel rail after I tried to prime it about 5 times.

So time to punch a hole in the back hatch and put a new one in. I've read from previous threads that the racetronix pump works well, if I just get the 2nd one ($160) listed on the thunder racing page:

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=166

Will be all I need?

Also, I know how/where to cut the panel, but are there any other guides on how to disassemble & replace the pump once I have access?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Yeah, that should be all you need, it comes as a complete kit that has everything you need all the way down to the tube of lubricant and adhesive. The kit does come with instructions that outlines the process and here is a link that provides some additional info. about the pump:
http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix..._Pump_Kit.html
Old 11-21-2006, 10:52 PM

thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by krispy
thanks

If you use the trap-door method there is a very good chance you will kill your new pump in short order. These FLT1 cars are getting old and most have a lot of sediment in the tank which will take out a Walbro pump quickly. Follow the factory procedure by dropping, inspecting and rinsing the tank before installing a new pump.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:35 AM

Good rule of thumb but my personal experience is leading me down a different path. Bought the full Racetronix kit last August, followed the instructions to a tee, dropped the tank out, cleaned it (not much sediment at all on my 97 @ ~120k miles), dried it in the sun, let the adhesive dry overnight, etc., etc.
Everything worked great until a couple of weeks ago when the pump started dying...can't get more than 18psi out of it at idle and drops to ~5-6psi with any throttle. Checked FPR, changed filter, etc. and just had to order a new pump yesterday.

Don't mind replacing a pump every now and then but if they're only gonna last a year and a half after cleaning the tank and following all the recommendations, I think I'll just go the trap-door method from here on out. Don't know how long others are lasting but I'll be damned if I'll tear half the car apart every time this happens. Cleaning the tank did absolutely nothing for the life of my pump...
Old 12-08-2006, 04:13 PM

Right now its sitting with a full tank of fuel. Ill do the trap door method, siphon out the gas, then check to see how much sediment there is in there. Then I'll go from there.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:42 AM

I did the trap door method over a year and a half ago and I've had no problems.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:53 AM

i think thats whats going on with my car... i got it from the shop a few weeks ago, and they had to use an old tank... im "guessing" they cleaned it? i hope? but my new pump is acting up just like that sometimes! its driving me NUTS been in the shop for over a year long story + katrina, and i jUST got her back and shes giving me hell and it sounds like this is the exact problem.

ill start it and sometimes its 100% fine, but other times it doesnt strart at all, but if it DOES i have to play with it for 15 min sometimes.... and then will randomly kill as if out of gas short after (can be withing blocks)

sorry to hijack lol, but im going nuts, i thought it was bad connections but maybe its a bad pump?!

ps - is trap door method
thanks
cory
Old 12-10-2006, 12:37 PM

I precursor to it dying was **** poor performance. It started out just once in a while when I went WOT, then it happened often, then most of the time, and then all the time. For the past 6-10 months my car hasn't run nearly as well as it should have.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:15 PM

i change a ton of pumps and don't clean the tanks(but they don't look that bad. but i don't like the trap door method either. if it is a quality pump it should not go out if you CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER ON TIME. 15,000 miles they are only $10. don't use cheap junk either. btw. racetronix kit is badas for performance cars