Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Second Opinion on Fuel Pump, Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Second Opinion on Fuel Pump, Dead?

The story...
About a week ago I thought the car started funny, as in it chugged for a second then caught really quick. I turned it off and tried it again but it never did anything again for a week. Then this morning as I was leaving a parking lot it started, but idled at 400-ish RPM and would nearly die if I even barely touched the gas. I thought it was flooded so I tried flooring it, still just about died. I then let it sit for 5 minutes and then it started normally, no chugging, stuttering, nothing. I drove it about 100 miles today and just about as I am home it starts cutting out when ever it shifted from third to fourth under moderate throttle. I tried this a few times to see what was going on, and it did it over and over. Finally one time it completely died on a shift and I had to coast to a side street. I tried starting it for a good 45+ minutes, it would only do the idle at 400 and chug. I got it towed home and now it doesn't start at all, doesn't even fire.

Primed pressure is below 20 psi, roughly 17 or so.

So, is the fuel pump dead? Is there a relay or something I can replace/check? I will replace the fuel filter this weekend, but it is about 3 years old. There is no fuel in the FPR tube, and I have checked that numerous times since it first started funny. The FPR is also about 3 years old.

If it is dead, any pump recommendations?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Administrator

You can bypass the relay and the PCM fuel pump permit by applying 12V to the "fuel pump prime connector". See Shoebox photo:

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg

If this still produces only 17-20psi, check the voltage at the pump harness connector, while applying 12V to the prime connector. Should be close to 12V.

If it isn't making 40psi, there are several possibilities:
-faulty fuel pump
-clogged fuel filter
-faulty fuel pressure regulator
-loose or punctured fuel pump outlet hose in the tank
-inadequate voltage to the pump
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 PM

The car does not even prime anymore. Fuel pressure is at 0 PSI now. I tried jumping the prime connector and it still did not prime. There is no sound what so ever when priming. When trying to start the car it does the normal clicking for what I am guessing is the AC clutch, but no fuel pump priming sound that I normally hear. I will check the fuel pump relay tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Injuneer
check the voltage at the pump harness connector
Is this the connector above the tank where the pump is inserted in to the tank? If so, we will see when I replace the pump.

So far I've narrowed down your list Injuneer.
-faulty fuel pump - STILL POSSIBLE
-clogged fuel filter - REPLACING THIS WEEKEND
-faulty fuel pressure regulator - HIGHLY DOUBTFUL (its 2 years old, and no gas in the vacuum line)
-loose or punctured fuel pump outlet hose in the tank - Wouldn't the pump still try to prime???
-inadequate voltage to the pump - will be checked when I replace the pump (if it needs to be)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 AM

Just an update for anyone looking for information in the future. The pump relay was good, I could hear and feel it click on and it delivered approximately 12v. The fuel pump will be replaced, since it does not even turn on anymore.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 AM

I had a TRE 255LPH fuel pump and it worked great and was not loud at all.
I just killed it after 2 years because my fuel sender was reading wrong and I ran it out of gas one too many times and it overheated and died.
Here is a link to there page other people on here have used these pumps and liked them.
http://treperformance.com/i-873-chev...1985-2002.html
They come with a one year warranty too.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks, I looked at them but already bought a granetelli off summit. Seems like reviews are all over the place for every brand so I just bought from a familiar place. From the sounds of it the granetelli's are walbro's anyway, and I am not too concerned about the noise, my exhaust will cover that up.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by crazypurgatory
I just killed it after 2 years because my fuel sender was reading wrong and I ran it out of gas one too many times and it overheated and died.
The pump bucket is a wonderful thing
Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
The pump bucket is a wonderful thing
Is this a stock part? Or something people add after putting in another pump? I just got my tank out and ready to install the new one. While I'm waiting I'm wondering if this is something I should do.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Administrator

The bucket is a stock part. Read what Racetronix says about it:

http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...RFPK%2D003&eq=
Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
Is this a stock part? Or something people add after putting in another pump? I just got my tank out and ready to install the new one. While I'm waiting I'm wondering if this is something I should do.
The pump is in a plastic pump bucket you have to take the top off and glue it back on.
I used super glue but when I got back into the tank 2 years later the top was unglued.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 PM

For future reference if anyone does a search and comes across this thread, it was the fuel pump. I replaced it with a Granatelli pump (it's a Walbro, Granatelli puts their name no where on it). I also dropped the tank and DID NOT cut a hole in my car. In case anyones wants to know, if you have the tools and space it is not hard to drop the tank.