Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

need help! changing LT1 plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:05 PM

need help! changing LT1 plugs and wires

I bought factory AC-Delco plugs and wires for my LT1 and I checked out how this project was going to go today. What a mess! I can't reach anything. Everything is so crammed in the wires that run to the left side are sandwiched between the block an PS pump. From what I saw today it looks like I'm gonna have to take out the alternator and power steering pump to get at anything. Any suggestions to get this done or a good procedure to go about? Help me please!
Old 08-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

The two things that ease access to the LT1 plugs are removing the alternator, and dropping the Y-pipe. I've changed plugs and wires with only those two "removals" - not the PS pump. Pulling the alternator is fairly easy, but dropping the Y-pipe can be a problem if the studs that hold it to the manifold are rusty, because they are likely to break off.

Try a "search" - I'm sure others have asked the same question, and there are many threads with suggestions, and possibly links to a "how to".
Old 08-30-2008, 06:20 PM

thanks i will try this. the studs shouldn't be rusty the thing is like brand new but if they're hard to get off a torch will do the trick. and are you sure about the PS pump? because the wires run right behind it but im thinking now that i can just fish all 4 through behind it without taking it off.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

One of the first mods I made to my Formula, back in 94 when I first bought it, was to replace the stock wires with a set of Taylor 8mm wires. I removed the alternator, and that's it. Took me 1/2 a day to do the swap, but I managed to get all the wires back in the stock clips and looms, and reuse all the metal boots. Wait until you get to #7 (I think that's the one, or maybe itsw #5?). The wire is covered by a metal shield that is screwed to the head.

I can't remember many details beyond that, because 8 years ago I installed 8 LS1 coils, mounted on the lower radiator support, and now the wires go directly from the coils to the plugs from below, not using the stock routing, under a set of AS&M headers. Much easier to access the plugs and the wires. No A/C helps as well.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 PM

ijust changed mine today

here is what i did. One is buy wire ties so you can keepo them away from the headers or manifold. I have headers and what worked for me was using a piece or wire and a shoort stick that i would tape the wire too and was able to get eveything back in and actually rerouted the drivers side wires so they are no where near he headers or block on the back two cylinders. It took me 5 hours but I was doing some other stuff too. Make sure you can get it on ramps or chacked up high enough and it's not too bad.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:35 PM

The easiest way I've found which normally takes me close to 45 mins on my 94 Z28 is to crawl up under the car and do it that way. I just run the wires between the ALT and pulley and zip tie them out of the way of the headers.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Unorthodox_Racing
The easiest way I've found which normally takes me close to 45 mins on my 94 Z28 is to crawl up under the car and do it that way. I just run the wires between the ALT and pulley and zip tie them out of the way of the headers.

Holy ****...

Stud alert. 45 minutes is flying brother. I could see if you were saying 45 min on that one plug but all 8??

Somebody call someone.. !lmao.

Make a a vid of your proficient work! Share thy wealth.

Rock out!,
Ivan
Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 PM

yea. I changed mine about a month ago. I previously had 5.0 so this car was a way tighter fit than I was used to. I started off by changing the plug wires. I got under the car, unplugged one plug from the distributor and then went up top and undid the wire boot from the plug. Then I replaced that wire. I repeated that for all the wires and it took about 90 minutes. Then I did the plugs which were horrible. I used a stardard spark plug socket and rachet and a wrench that would fit around the plug socket where it had a hex shape on the outside of the socket. The passenger side was cake, only had to use the wrench/socket combo once. The driver side too awhile. On two of them I had to use the socket and wrench combo and on one of them I used a extremely tight fit with the rachet. Overall took about 3 hours and scratched up and aching hands. Didn't take anything off but the plugs and wires. Don't want to take anything off I don't have to.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Haha... well I've had to do it so much due to always having issues with either one of the wires getting burnt or even with one case my pulley cutting a wire that I now have a system down. When I first bought the car it took roughly 3 hours on top of the 3 hours it took to change the plugs. I just randomly removed plastic **** I didn't need and presto... Take that GM!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 AM

I've got LT Headers, deleted air pump and A/C. I replaced the spark plugs and it still took me 4hrs, tore up my hands and messed up the POS Craftsman spark plug socket again. I go from top to bottom depending on what's the easiest route of entry to the spark plug. It's a true pain in the butt on these LT1's. I got rid of the stock manifolds for a set of shorties right after I bought it so I can't realy give you any tips about that set up other than to tell you to be patient and set aside at least a half a day and maybee a few beers when you decide to take a venting break. G/L.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by IPrice
Holy ****...

Stud alert. 45 minutes is flying brother. I could see if you were saying 45 min on that one plug but all 8??
It's possible. I use the SLP short socket and a ratcheting box end and I can change them pretty quick. But that is with LTs, on stock manifolds 3+ hours is much more realistic.