Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 03:49 PM

Trans issue

I have a 95 v6 auto that I just recently purchased. I drove it about 30 miles home from where I bought it, but it had a serious misfire.
I changed plugs and wires and checked coils. Misfire was cured.
I figure before I put it on the road I would do a basic tune up. New oil and filter, new air filter and new fuel filter. Went ahead and bought a trans fluid and filter change.
Well today I buttoned everything back up with no leaks or issues with new trans seal.
Now the car will barely move when put in gear. Forward and reverse takes gear, but you have to rev the engine really high to get it to move at all and then it just barely rolls on flat ground.
The trans fluid was getting pretty dark but there were no metal shavings in it and I put in a new filter and pan gasket.
Car shifted fine before fluid change. What did I do to it to mess it up?
Oh and I discovered while under it that the dust shield is MIA from the torq converter. I dont think this would cause my problem though.

Last edited by PCLZ28; 12-29-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:39 PM

Re: Trans issue

did you fill the trans with fluid to the correct level?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:45 PM

When I first checked fluid level it was good. I rechecked it and it was low. I filled it up. Now it will move but, it still revs higher than it should.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM

I think I may have the wrong dipstick in the trans. With trans warm it sits dead on full top etching mark. Still have the problem. So, I dumped an extra quart in it. Showing about half quart over full, but it moves. Still seems weak going up hill.
I don't know what's going on with it. Am thinking ,aybe a bad converter? Amd would not having the torque converter cover on the trans cause major issues. I have been trying to find a used one.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:28 AM

Do you have a check engine light?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 PM

No ses.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Transmission codes do not turn on the SES.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by PCLZ28
Car shifted fine before fluid change. What did I do to it to mess it up?
I just rebuilt my first transmission which means a LOT of research. One of the articles included some uncommon information. When servicing a transmission with high mileage, you aren't supposed to change the fluid. The concept of a flush causing debris to plug your ports is a myth.

The real reason is that your fluid was dirty was because that was all of the friction material that your clutch plates need to grip. After so long, that friction material breaks loose and just floats along in the fluid and that keeps it sticky enough. Since you flushed all of that friction material out, your clutches are now just spinning in vain.

Thats the real reason that older mechanics say to never flush your fluid unless its burnt. But if your fluid is burnt, you're still flushing your friction material. So the real dilemma is, do you use use burnt fluid that may be too thin to properly lubricate and could seize your transmission, or do you change the fluid and risk slipping? The only reliable solution is to replace the tranny altogether.

Having said that, if youre a hobby mechanic, don't bother with a used tranny. The warranty from salvage yards only applies if installed by an ASE certified mechanic. If you plan to swap it yourself, you're better off with a refurb or a brand new tranny.