Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

94 camaro no crank no start

Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 PM

94 camaro no crank no start

Hey all this is my first camaro a 94'. To start the car ran great when I bought it, all was fine and dandy for the first few months. Then I did something I normaly would not do, I gave a guy a jump, and then my car started to have issues. First the car would start to have trouble cranking over (Later on took the starte out tested it it was bad, and got it replaced). Second the cars gauges would start to "twitch" up and down as i drove and return to normal. Then out of the blue bam it would turn off on me randomly. I took a drive about 20 mins away parked it did what i needed to do came back and bam it struggled to start started then stopped all together. So i sat thinking i flooded it. waited 20 mins and started it up no problems. I get the car home with the twitching happening on and off park it. next day come out to see if it still has trouble starting up, and indeed it does. no crank and no start.
So now to what I have done so far, as I said up top i tried to find the cranking problem. took out the starter and gave it a test at autozone. it was bad so i replaced it and no problems. (minus some wireing i had power touching the ignition so every time i tried to hook up the battery it would kick over but fixed that). checked the battery it was not holding a charge so i replaced that. went and tried to start it nada. when i turned the key over the dash and radio would turn on and stay on only if i held the key turned to start. then that broke off completely(black key grip portion) i took a look at the underside of and found the contacts for the key in it with the wires broken. (im assuming those are the vat lines). so though that might be the issue. did some research and foudn that after market key lock and found they dont have the resistor portion for the vats so i decided to bypass them with resistors. gave that all a go and no dice turning it over. I went farter back down the line to the ignition switch and the relays figuring it might be burnt out or something of the sort took off the relay and jumped the lines to see if i could get the car to start from there, the auxillary dash and what nots starts up but no power or even a spark on the line from the start line.
there is where im left, any help?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Re: 94 camaro no crank no start

Was the resistor VATS (PASS-key) bypass successful = no "SECURITY" light, flashing or solid? There is an additional critical component in the VATS system that can go bad.... the theft deterrent module (TDM) that send a frequency signal to the PCM to enable the fuel system. But that should not inhibit the starter. Shoebox's VATS troubleshooting procedure may help.

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-PassKey/VATS

Have you examined the battery cables and the ends of the cables for corrosion and damaged conductors?

We are starting to see a lot of problems with the ignition switches, with old age. See if the first section of Shoebox's ignition switch replacement procedure sheds any light on what you are experiencing. Common problem seems to be melting of the switch plastic housing, and burning around certain contacts.

4th Gen F-body Ignition Switch Replacement

94 starting circuit will be similar to this:

http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_95.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/ignswschematic.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-09-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:16 PM

ok found some success! after removing the two relays from the ignition switch I tried starting the car from the blue relay and success!. so its nothing down the line after that. so last thing is last the ignition switch is probably my culprit
Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 AM

How do I bypass my vat on 95 camaro it takes long to start u
Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Which engine.... 3.4L V6 of 5.7L V8?

Describe what happens when you turn the key to "start". Does the starter crank the engine? By "take long" do you mean it continues to crank for several seconds before the engine starts? While cranking, does the "SECURITY" light come on solid? ... "SECURITY" light flashing?

Read this:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-PassKey/VATS

Extending cranking times can often be traced to problems with the fuel system, or the coolant temp sensor.