Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

700R4 shift kit install Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:20 PM

700R4 shift kit install Q

I am installing a B&M kit in my 1993 Z28, and I have an issue with something. I took out the pressure regulator clip, etc.... and replaced the stock spring with the blue one from the kit. I pushed it in, and installed a new retaining clip. The problem is that the plug seems to be stuck, and will not slide back down and rest against the retaining clip. It is stuck up in the bore about 1/4" past the clip. It will push up further into the spring, but keeps returning just above the retainer clip.
Is this something I should fix, or will it pop back down when the system is pressurized? If it needs to rest against the retaining clip, how might I free it up?
I am about halfway through the shift kit install, and wanted to get some info on this problem before I put it back together and have to take it apart again.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM

Rob,
It will most likely come to rest on the clip with pressure behind it...but...I'd rather see it against it before you put it back together. Try using a flat screwdriver and tap on it. If you push in on it with a rapid motion, it should use the spring tension to help push it back down.

Frank
CPT
Old 02-03-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks. I could not get it to drop down by tapping on it. So......I put it together and filled it up. It "almost" went into gear for about a second, then nothing in any gear. I took the pan back off to find the pressure regulator, springs and such in the pan. I guess I did not have the clip in properly.
So I guess it's back out into the 10 degree Michigan weather to put it back together. Hopefully I put everything else together properly and it works like it should.
I am really starting to wish I would have just taken it in to a trans shop and pay them $200 or whatever to do it.

Thanks again for the help! I appreciate it. FWIW, I passed on the Trans-Go kit and got a B&M per your recommendations.
Rob
Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 PM

Rob,
Sorry to hear you ran into a problem. Usually, tapping on it will make it move.
Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Frank
CPT
Old 02-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

I had the same thing happen to mee years ago the first b&m kit I put in a 700......The c-clip has a liitle ways to go in there......I did like frank said and pushed up on it with a pick and it will slide up and down then make sure the clip is in all the way...

Good luck
Old 02-03-2007, 09:00 PM

And the street/strip setting says to take the springs out of the accumulator and replace them with spacers right? That is what I did anyway. The valve body modifications seemed easy enough, but the check ball stuff made me kinda nervous. The directions say to remove a couple check ***** completely, and add one where there was not one before? I noticed that the '93 700R4 has different instructions for check ball placement than the earlier years.

The directions also said to use grease or Vaseline to hold the 3 check ***** up in the case of the transmission and then put the seperator plate/gasket assembly on. Does that not sound like a bad idea to use stuff like that to hold the check ***** in? I used all purpose grease.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

once the vasoline gets hot it will kind of melt its not enought o hurt anything...I did the spacers in the accumulator before too....its shifts hard
I liked it alot but that was along time ago....I probly wouldn't like all that now

post up how it turns out
Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 PM

I'll have it back together in the morning. Hopefully it moves under it's own power.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:11 AM

i dont know so much about all-purpose grease in a transmission but vaseline is fine, it will simply breakdown and melt away without doing any harm when it gets hot, in my opinion its the best lube to use on rubber seals when you install them
Old 02-04-2007, 12:57 PM

I got it all put back together, and it goes through the gears fine in my garage. It is snowing sideways right now though so i'll have to wait to road test it.

Thanks a ton for the help!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 PM

It works! I drove it around the block, in the snow. You can't tell it is shifting hard in the snow.....except for the clumps of snow it throws between shifts.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

sounds good, be careful tho mine used to get sideways real easy going in 2nd in the rain had to drive really slow
Old 02-05-2007, 04:48 AM

Thanks! It has only been driven in nice weather it's whole life, so i'll try to keep it that way. C'mon spring!