Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Pros/Cons of all tuning/diagnositc programs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 10:04 PM

Pros/Cons of all tuning/diagnositc programs

my car is running like crap and i want to learn how to tune my car anyways, so i need to know what to get. i want to figure it out, so i dont have to pay someone. i need something that will read codes, show me all the vital signs, easy to use, updatable, and writeable. tell me what i need for a good setup of read and write program. I am a beginner at tuning so be kind to me, and i have done a search. i hear the tunercat is real easy and is non VIN specific, that sounds cool to me. please everyone tell me everything i need to know about picking a program (including websites, prices etc). and yes i have a laptop, but its a 2000. will that suffice? thanks

Paul
Old 03-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Administrator

You might want to mention what year your car is, since the scanning and programming systems are different for different years.

And are you clear on the fact that you need BOTH a scan program and a tuning program? There is no one device that does both, unless you consider the newest version of AutoTap for the LS1's. Well, I guess you could opt for the factory Tech 2 if you have $3,000 to spare.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:08 PM

no i was not aware that i would have to buy 2 different programs. i thought i had heard that one program you could buy did both. i am sorry i forgot to tell that i have a 94 z28 a4. everyones suggestions will be greatly appreciated. what is everyone using and what are your thoughts about it?

Paul
Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 PM

Freescan can be used for code dumping, and logging. For logging I use it along with Excel to pretty it up and make things readable with graphs, that is a free program.

I use Tunercat for tuning, if you learn the ropes you can use that or LT1 Edit just as easily. I was on the LT1 Edit list because they get more traffic, and like I said you can use either one and understand whats going on once you get to know how the car works and what the sensors are and such. Both programs achieve the same end results.