Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

just got my new intake in for the BBC.... i want to cry

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:10 AM

just got my new intake in for the BBC.... i want to cry

ok i just recently bought a new water pump and holley intake for my BBC 366/427 and just recently i installed the water pump. it looks great. today i went out and cleaned the intake off so no dirt will fall down into the chambers when the old intake was removed. after i removed the old intake i realized the engine was well took care of. the inside of the engine was extremely clean. like it was just rebuilt. I proceded to fitch my new holley aluminum intake. as i started to place it onto the block i immeditly realize something was wronge. there was a gap on each side of the intake. the guy i bought the intake from said it woould fit any bbc including my 366 truck engine. well it does not.

does anybody know of where i can go buy a spacer?
or better yet does anyone know how far it needs to be spaced so i can go make one.
my current mood:
Old 11-04-2005, 05:37 PM

Re: just got my new intake in for the BBC.... i want to cry

Summit has them, consult them for your exact needs as there are variations, here is a sample:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=38&y=13
Old 11-04-2005, 08:36 PM

i thought truck bbs were diffrent from the passenger car blocks . (tall deck and short deck)
Old 11-04-2005, 09:31 PM
jms

The 366 and 427 TRUCK engines are tall-deck blocks.

.400 taller than a car block.

You will need spacers for the intake.

Not flaming, just wondering, why are you using a 366?

jms
Old 11-05-2005, 04:43 PM

here s a link showing my engine

its for my 67 camaro i'm currently building.

the reason i'm using this 366 is because i got it for cheap, it was just recently rebuilt, and secondly BBC no matter if they are passanger or truck engines are hard to come by in my area. when i usually run up on one they want to much for it or they are hoarding the engines. i ran up on one guy who's garage was packed when over 20 BBC said he an't selling nothin
Old 11-05-2005, 09:27 PM

If you bought a new intake, you can exchange it for a tall deck version. They are available in both oval & rectangular port versions. Weiand offers the Team G series, but those will not fit under your 67 hood unless you have a decent sized scoop. Many manufacturers sell a compatible intake for this motor.

Keep in mind, none of these intakes or spacers will match your heads.... you have very small truck ports. For this reason your car will not run very well either. These heads were designed for 4500rpm max.

You also require a longer distributor if using the spacers, whereas the special intakes use a standard length distributor.

The 427 TD motor will run pretty well with heads/cam (mine runs 13's in a 5200lb 4x4 truck with 35" tires), but the 366 has too small of a bore to put the good heads on it.

Did you put this motor in the car yet? It will likley be very close to the wiper motor due to the taller deck & you will likely need special headers to fit the motor properly as the ports get very close to the upper control arm mounts with a wider tall deck.

I know these motors as I have a few of them & I also have a '68 BBC Camaro. Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any additional questions.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:15 AM
jms

Chris, check your PMs. I sent you one yesterday evening.
jms
Old 11-06-2005, 05:21 PM

anyone know if rectangular ported intake will bolt up to oval type heads?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:13 PM
jms

Yes, the rectangular port intake will bolt to oval port heads.

BUT.....

There is such a huge blockage (the rect. port intake overlaps the oval port head by a great deal) that incoming fuel air charge ends up hitting a dead end at that blockage causing a great deal of disturbance.

You would probably get more performance from the stock intake as sad as that sounds.

You can lay the rectangular port intake gasket (you will have to use it if you use the rectangular intake) on the oval port head and see the huge mismatch.

Not good at all.

I have seen people try to grind out the oval port head to match the rectangular port intake opening.

Not good at all.

There is a theme here.

Rectangular port intake on oval port heads.

Not good at all.

Trade or sell the intake for the correct one needed OR change heads.

jms
Old 11-06-2005, 08:19 PM

do you have a oval port intake meant fo rmy engine?>if so i will trade buy or do something. i want my engine to run.......
Old 11-06-2005, 08:26 PM

About the best you can do is a set of these: http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...?part=WND-8204

They are for rectangle port heads but you probably could use an oval port dual plane intake with them as well. Get an MSD slip collar distributor as well as your existing distributor won't fit. Headman Hustler headers might fit okay as they're designed to fit with raised exhaust ports, such as the Dart head.
The 366 has 4 ring pistons and a generally heavy rotating assembly. Some even have a reverse rotation gear drive cam, so check this out first before you drop a distributor in there. If it does happen to have a reverse rotation cam you can get a gear for the MSD distributor from Isky.
You are much better off skipping the 366 and holding out for a performance BBC. You might have to ship something in or make a road trip but even a BBC out of a suburban would be a better choice.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:12 PM

Some of the tall decks also have a hex drive oil pump shaft instead of the slotted variety. You will not find an aftermarket gear to fit this either so plan on a pump & shaft replacement as well.

Do yourself a favor & get rid of that 366, you are putting a very heavy, low performance motor in your car & will spend a lot of money to make it fit only to get spanked by most generic 350 motors.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 PM

Do yourself a favor & get rid of that 366, you are putting a very heavy, low performance motor in your car & will spend a lot of money to make it fit only to get spanked by most generic 350 motors.
Most of the threads that deal with the oddball 366 usually end up with this type of advice. In general, I agree with it. It's too oddball to mess with for performance.

I will make one suggestion, however: GET THE CRANK OUT OF IT. The cranks in those motors were supposedly specially heat treated and nitrided and are tough as nails. In a "standard" deck big block they are supposedly indestructible and an excellent piece to start a high performance build on. Save the crank- chuck the rest in the trash.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:48 PM

Most of the cranks are cross drilled (but not all) & also nitrided.

The rods are also heavier than the standard 3/8" bolt BBC variety. The big end is beefier, but still use the 3/8" bolt.... not the L-88 7/16" variety. I've done the same with a few of these motors.