Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

stupid stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 02:33 AM

stupid stock speakers

with the monsoon system, does anyone make an aftermarket speaker that will just "plug right in" where the stock speakers go? i blow one of those stupid things at least every other month.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:52 AM

Re: stupid stock speakers

What you need is a better quality HU and amp. The factory HU puts out lots of distortion at even moderate levels. When I still had my POS Monsoon system I hooked up the HU to my O-scope and checked it's output with a calibrated test CD. At only 23 clicks of the volume control the HU was starting to clip the output. Turn your HU up 23 clicks from silence and see how loud it gets. Not very. And the higher you turn up the volume past those 23 clicks the harder the HU clipps the output. And since the POS Monsoon amp uses speaker level inputs the amp is amplifying that badly clipped signal from the HU making matters that much worse for the speakers. This is why the POS Monsoon system is ALWAYS blowing speakers. If you don't want to upgrade the stereo there are 2 things you need to do to keep from blowing speakers in the future. Start by easing up on that volume control. Second, back off the bass sliders on the EQ a little. If you do these 2 things you'll extend the life of the factory speakers. If not you can get used to replacing the speakers all the time.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by LS1 RULZ
What you need is a better quality HU and amp. The factory HU puts out lots of distortion at even moderate levels. When I still had my POS Monsoon system I hooked up the HU to my O-scope and checked it's output with a calibrated test CD. At only 23 clicks of the volume control the HU was starting to clip the output. Turn your HU up 23 clicks from silence and see how loud it gets. Not very. And the higher you turn up the volume past those 23 clicks the harder the HU clipps the output. And since the POS Monsoon amp uses speaker level inputs the amp is amplifying that badly clipped signal from the HU making matters that much worse for the speakers. This is why the POS Monsoon system is ALWAYS blowing speakers. If you don't want to upgrade the stereo there are 2 things you need to do to keep from blowing speakers in the future. Start by easing up on that volume control. Second, back off the bass sliders on the EQ a little. If you do these 2 things you'll extend the life of the factory speakers. If not you can get used to replacing the speakers all the time.
That's really quite fascinating, but back to the original question. does anyone make aftermarket speakers that will fit right in where the stock ones are?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:35 PM

There are ALL kinds of speakers available to you that will drop right in. Very few, if any, have 2ohm voice coils though. Go to Crutchfield.com and use their "What fits my car?" feature.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by LS1 RULZ
There are ALL kinds of speakers available to you that will drop right in. Very few, if any, have 2ohm voice coils though. Go to Crutchfield.com and use their "What fits my car?" feature.
Thanks, I'll try that.