Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Audio help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 12:01 AM

Post Audio help

Ok guys, i can't figuire this one out. Right now I have a 97 Dodge dakota. Its a pretty nice truck. I went to install a cd player today. I used a wire harness. You know the kinda you buy that allows you to use the stock wiring. I hook it up, and no sound was coming from the cd player. I took the sub out of the camaro and hook it straight into the speaker wires coming off of the cd player. Sound goes to the the sub. (which btw doesn't sound so good as a speaker.) Ok, so stock speakers and/or wiring doesn't work with the cd player. But get this. When you switch to the tuner, sound goes to all the speakers. WTF? Why does the tuner work and not the cd player. Yet it will work if I hook a speaker straight into it? Im lost.

------------------
Don

93 metallic black Z28, magnaflow exhaust, chrome tips,chrome rims. Yea she's pretty
Old 08-07-2002, 12:22 AM

try another CD, if that doesn't work and your tuner does work, then there maybe something wrong with the CD player itself. If you have sound with the tuner, then you didn't wire anything wrong.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:44 AM

The cd player does work, because if i plug a speaker into it without going through the harness, it sends sound to it.(Ie. I wired a speaker from my camaro straight into the left front wire coming out of the cd player, and it set sound it it.) But when its pluged into the harness, the tuner will send sound, but not the cd player.

------------------
Don

93 metallic black Z28, magnaflow exhaust, chrome tips,chrome rims. Yea she's pretty
Old 08-07-2002, 01:22 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evilfrog:
The cd player does work, because if i plug a speaker into it without going through the harness, it sends sound to it.(Ie. I wired a speaker from my camaro straight into the left front wire coming out of the cd player, and it set sound it it.) But when its pluged into the harness, the tuner will send sound, but not the cd player.

</font>
I got ya. then there is either a break in the line or one or more of the speakers are grouding out, or the wire harness is defective.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:11 AM

Does the truck have the premium sound system, i.e Infinity? Then you might have to work around the factory amps.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:14 AM

Definately factory amps. You can purchase a bypass harness from crutchfield.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:42 PM

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tygreman:
Definately factory amps. You can purchase a bypass harness from crutchfield.</font>
or you could do the fun way and just run new wires from the HU to each speakers
Old 08-07-2002, 10:39 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PaulN64:
or you could do the fun way and just run new wires from the HU to each speakers </font>
That wasn't fun...Thanks for the help guys. every thing works now. The speakers dont sound so good without the amps though. Guess new speakers are inline next paycheck.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:36 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evilfrog:
That wasn't fun...Thanks for the help guys. every thing works now. The speakers dont sound so good without the amps though. Guess new speakers are inline next paycheck.</font>
did you run new wires?