Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

A workable & practical way of getting a Camaro to market quickly & cheaply!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Re: A workable & practical way of getting a Camaro to market quickly & cheaply!

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
I agree and I think all that is needed to sell tons of V6 models (and therefore subsidize our performance models) is this:

-practical exterior dimensions
-good visibility/upright seating position
-catchy styling that's not too boy-racer
-price competitive with Mustang V6, hopefully actually CHEAPER since the Mustang still has the name/history advantage.
Exactly the points I should have made in my post. And as far the engine I just wanted to see how nice it would be to have an LS7 powered Camaro (nice isn't it). But the power and the engines are definitely there.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Have you all been paying attention to how the Z28/SS matchup was originally done. Z28 was the handling based car with good power. SS was the drag strip bruiser. Why would you invert the formula.
Where on earth did you come up with that bs?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 67Beast
Exactly the points I should have made in my post. And as far the engine I just wanted to see how nice it would be to have an LS7 powered Camaro (nice isn't it). But the power and the engines are definitely there.
Yes, and the car doesn't have to be loaded up with content either. Chevy buyers don't want all that garbage and quite honestly its never been "Camaro" to be all gadety. Not that I wouldn't mind some things being optional but especially the base cars need to be value value value. A Camaro V6 is not going to compete with a G35 for a buyer.

And the interior doesn't even have to be a knockout, just reasonably ergonomic for today's standards and not too cheap on fit & finish. I think for the price range people are going to expect cheapish materials, but as long as its relatively rattle free and ***** don't break off in your hand I think its sufficient.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:46 PM

I'm not going to take sides on this thread, but I'd like everyone to consider a few things:

1. This is going to have to be a "MUST DO" with the people who approve vehicles:

If you pile on IRS, tons of Camaro unique components, and little or no structural sharing, quite bluntly there will be no 5th gen Camaro: PERIOD! However, if there are ways to cut enough cost to where the car will be very low cost to manufacture, and has the potential to grow sales (not canabalize from other GM cars), it will be a car GM will trip over themselves to approve & get to market quickly.

2. The public simply doesn't care if a good, well designed RWD car has IRS or not:

Mustang sales are well above expectations. Ford expected to sell 150K Mustangs this year. Ford built in the capacity to sell 175K at Flat Rock. Ford is now bumping up production to 200K, and there's still a substantial waiting list. Sure, IRS is a glamor item to many enthusiasts, and perhaps there can be a luxury or top model that can have that. But the idea that IRS is needed to have a successful RWD car has just been obliterated.

3. Something everyone has completely missed: GM will be without an affordable performance car after the 2006 model year!

Holden will be phasing out VZ production starting in about a year. GM's contract & Monaro production are scheduled to end at the close of 2006. 2007 (2008 model year) was initially planned as the production start of GM's new Zeta based RWD sport coupes. If Zeta has been cancelled since late last year, that means any coupes planned off that structure is dead. That means GM would have no affordable coupes available from the end of next year.

Originally Posted by Josh452
Yea. Uh Huh Guy you know what's going on buddyy. Evok does know what's going on. Guy...check out the Underground (now......umm Offground due to legalities I think).
Uh..I just came across a good idea from another member that would be good to post over here. It...uh...just happened to fit in with the imaginary sport bike analogy I posted some time ago. That's all.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
That means GM would have no affordable coupes available from the end of next year.
Again!

Just had to add that...hehe! I'm sure the success of the Mustang has not fallen on deaf ears at GM. Heck they've mentioned it a number of times on GM tv.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
Again!

Just had to add that...hehe! I'm sure the success of the Mustang has not fallen on deaf ears at GM. Heck they've mentioned it a number of times on GM tv.
After all that's gone wrong at GM lately, and I'm still optimistic.
Wonder why?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
Heck they've mentioned it a number of times on GM tv.
Wha? What channel is that?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:57 PM

Wonder why?
Yeah, I wonder....You and a certain somebody else here me thinks knows something good!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:01 PM

I thought we deterimed quite a while ago that IRS, in and of itself, doesn't add all that much cost to a car as opposed to a solid axle... I thought that was determined to be an "old wives tale"???
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 PM

1. This is going to have to be a "MUST DO" with the people who approve vehicles:

If you pile on IRS, tons of Camaro unique components, and little or no structural sharing, quite bluntly there will be no 5th gen Camaro: PERIOD! However, if there are ways to cut enough cost to where the car will be very low cost to manufacture, and has the potential to grow sales (not canabalize from other GM cars), it will be a car GM will trip over themselves to approve & get to market quickly.
Thats the typical bean counter mentality that got GM in trouble as it is. if they think that they have to make a cheap car then people will smell that and stay away. There are plenty of Mustang unique parts on the new stangs and look at how well they are doing. GM must be willing to maybe spend a little bit more money, up the price by $1000 and put out a car that is superior to the mustang in everyway. If magazines see that GM has done this and made it a cool looking car (thats how it has to look - cool. like the mustang) to get the "got to have it" rating. If GM sees that the new Camaro is the same old stuck up were not going to spend money to make a good car then ull never see the got to have it rating and thus flop.

Most people who buy these cars want a cool car. they dont care about performance but it has to look cool inside and out. Thats why the mustang is so successfull. Even the most diehard Camaro guys think the mustang looks cool and are tempted to cross the line to the dark side.

bottom line. I want an IRS. I have been waiting for years for a new camaro and will still wait (as we have to) until they get it out. but i would rather wait an extra year if itll make the difference between a good car and a great car.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:05 PM

Wonder why?
I dont wonder why you're optimistic, I wonder what has you optimistic!

Espicially considering Red Planet posted and said he was offered to retire and decided to stay...
Old 03-30-2005, 04:05 PM

I'm not going to take sides on this thread, but I'd like everyone to consider a few things:

2. The public simply doesn't care if a good, well designed RWD car has IRS or not:

Mustang sales are well above expectations. Ford expected to sell 150K Mustangs this year. Ford built in the capacity to sell 175K at Flat Rock. Ford is now bumping up production to 200K, and there's still a substantial waiting list. Sure, IRS is a glamor item to many enthusiasts, and perhaps there can be a luxury or top model that can have that. But the idea that IRS is needed to have a successful RWD car has just been obliterated.
I'm fairly convinced you just took a side despite your declaration at the top of your post
Old 03-30-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I thought we deterimed quite a while ago that IRS, in and of itself, doesn't add all that much cost to a car as opposed to a solid axle... I thought that was determined to be an "old wives tale"???
Just as IRS is always better than a solid axle for performance handling?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Just as IRS is always better than a solid axle for performance handling?

A fine point, but I'll argue that IRS is just about ALWAYS going to handle non-perfect roads that everyone drives on daily... we can't forget tjis is a road car first and foremost.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Agreed. However, as I said earlier, I'm not married to IRS if it means the difference between having a Camaro or no-Camaro.

Quick Reply: A workable & practical way of getting a Camaro to market quickly & cheaply!