Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Time for a reality check on the 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:31 PM

Re: Time for a reality check on the 5th gen

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yeah, post that thing if you get a chance, jg.
What, the bit from Zazarine's book?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
What, the bit from Zazarine's book?
Yeah, that one.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:33 PM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389720
Old 08-29-2005, 06:35 PM

BINGO!!!

THAT is the formula!

'When work began on the F-car in August 1964, a set of specific baselines were established by Chevrolet for the final design:

Distinctively modern aerodynamic styling for a clean functional appearance
Small, highly maneuverable size with packaging for four passengers
A very broad range of available performance capability
Quick, sharply defined roadability with a firm, yet comfortable ride
"Cockpit-type" interiors for close driver identification
An evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, basic design approach to maintain maximum value to the customer
Wide Selection of mechanical and appearance equipment to allow customer tailoring to his needs and desires'

There it is...
As far as I'm concerned the frickin' holy grail of Camaroness.

Last edited by Z284ever; 08-29-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by loki993
i agree with this, but at first you said, at least its what thought you said maybe i misunderstood, take what the gereral public dosnt like about pony cars and do that. the things i mentioned were things they dont like anout pony cars.
I should have worded that a little bit better.

Originally Posted by loki993
i still dont agree with the irs, yes youre right it could give the camaro a marketing edge, but it would also give it about a $5000 higher price tag making a car thats competing with a 26K mustang gt around 31K, thats a big number to swallow for a lot of people. i like the sla because i like to drag race, its better for that purpose, but thats not the issue at hand. if they can do it and keep it cheap fine but i dont think its possible.
I think you are over estimating the cost of adding the IRS to the Camaro. The IRS will not be made from the expensive alloys, instead, it will use much cheaper steel. IIRC a few of the people in the know stated in a thread about IRS vs SLA that the cost was only a few hundred dollars because they are using cheaper steel.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 PM

BINGO!!!

THAT is the formula!
I only have a problem with the term "small". In the mid 1960's it meant a 1st gen sized Camaro. In today's terms it means a much smaller vehicle. While I agree the 4th gen was a land yacht; we shouldn't be expecting a Cobalt-sized Camaro.

I think proportionally something along the lines of the current GTO would suffice provided it is lower-slung (i.e. shorter) and wider.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Killaz
06-07 camaro. Do we really think we are going to see one that soon?
No. But I'd be willing to bet 08 if GM lifts their moritorium on spending on their RWD program

Define that for me Guy. What is small, but I guess more importantly what is not small.
Cobalt.

And one question for everyone...
I gather from Guy's post the feeling that the Camaro needs to be an exact copy of the Mustang to have a chance of success. Is that true?
If you mean size, yes. If you mean design, no.

Camaro came into existance because of the Mustang.

Mustang stayed true to what it was, Camaro did not.

Mustang is here selling 200,000 cars per year. Camaro is in it's grave because it couldn't compete.

Any questions?

Originally Posted by wrastler
Wrong.

5.7L and 6.1L HEMI, those are pretty damn big engines and while the 6.1 is more rare and only in the SRT's, the 5.7 is real common and a big seller. Its called MDS and it lets big engines do squat and more in the market place
And those stand alone designs and extremely UN-Chryslerlike quality and the fact that the only thing that's like the LX cars is a 25 year old Panther chassis Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis had nothing to do with the car's success?

Last edited by guionM; 08-29-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:34 PM

something between cobalt and mustang would be perfect size wise.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by wrastler
Wrong.

5.7L and 6.1L HEMI, those are pretty damn big engines and while the 6.1 is more rare and only in the SRT's, the 5.7 is real common and a big seller. Its called MDS and it lets big engines do squat and more in the market place
I know Guion already responded to this, but I just wanted to reiterate to make it clear.

You're wrong.

Lx cars sell because they are a liveable package, they are dynamic (in both looks and drive), they are well priced, and present a completely different proposition to the marketplace than what is being offered. Hemi only helps the case. Guion's post about an engine in a tin can is exactly right, an engine does not make sales, it only helps.

EDIT: Allow me to extrapolate a little more on that: an engine is a major proponent of what goes into the sale of a car; engine and transmission feel are both major selling points. However, so are design, packaging, right size, value, up-to-dateness, etc, etc....

Last edited by turbo200; 08-29-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
A rhetorical question for you guys and others that want to see a "different" approach...
Just exactly how much can you change the Camaro before it's not a Camaro anymore?

While I certainly don't propose slapping a Camaro badge on a Mustang and calling it a day, I also don't think it is fair to the Camaro name to move it into a totally different class of car either. If that is the desired market - fine, go for it... but do it under a different name and let the Camaro badge RIP.
The Camaro must have roots to its past. For my money, it must out-handle and out-power the Mustang. It must look georgeous in a value package that is desireable. The lighter they build it the better... that would also mean size should be as small as is 'practical'.

Just my 2c.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Lets look at some facts:

5. The current Mustang is selling in amazing numbers.... with a live axle..... at it's current size.
6. Mustang at last count was outselling all sporty coupes combined by something like 70%.
7. It takes about 5 years to get a car from scratch to the showroom.
8. GM is going to find the cheapest way to produce a good product (if Kappa was cheaper than Sigma, don't you think GM wouldn't have used it?).

This only serves to cement the fact in my mind that styling and design should be a number one priority in designing a car [future GM car, and all cars, will prove this]. It is especially important in the coupe market, where buyers are already sacrificing practicality for the sake of good looks. Style, style style!

A huge reason for Mustang's success is style. It has made a splash since it went on display at the auto shows. People didn't care about the engine then. Nobody had driven it and seen its capibilities. Nobody had touched the interior, but yet this car drew as big a crowd as the Cadillac Sixteen, another car that sells on, you betcha, style!

Of course, the Mustang continues to gain an audience because of the well thought out package it is. And that is why I could not agree with Guion more. Let GM worry about the details, I know it's in the right hands if the car they are shooting for is the Mustang. Yes, I would love for it to be a little smaller, maybe like 185 OAL (though for my extreme tastes, around 182 would be perfect), but I am not going to bitch and whine when the right car with the right styling with the right name we all know and love is coming! Get off your soapboxes, and start complaining when some real evidence showed up. Like the time when we all found out the Torrent would have a 3.4L engine for the "performance division" and tarnished that division's name yet again!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:18 PM

To add to the fact that Mustang is selling 200,000 units... and that isn't enough apparently for some folks, but.... that is the most they can build! That's the build capacity! Otherwise they probably would have built a lot more.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by DrewSG
I agree. Pretty pathetic of someone to questions someone else enthusism for the Camaro just because they differ in opinion.
Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion, even if it's wrong.

Look, before GM is going to commit billions of dollars producing the thing, they are going to study the living daylights out of it. Being that they have been studying and doing research to some degree or another for damn near a decade, and many people have worked to all levels of frustration to get the car back, the idea that anyone's opinion here is going to weigh more, or be more correct than what Red and the gang he works with has come up through research, and sales figures of it's competition with is ludicrious.

For those who have memory lapse, Mustang created Camaro. And like it or not, it's the sales success of the current Mustang that's broken the logjam and got things moving for the 5th gen. If you can't handle that fact, I'm sure Red has some more of that fantastic kool-aid he's tempted to chug when he comes here and listens to all us "devoted" Camaro enthusiasts tell him he doesn't know what he's doing, and he's created a pig of a car....though no one has seen the thing.

Look, I personally would love a G35-like Camaro. I recall saying that back in '03, and many times over since. If I were king of the world, I'd create a Mitsubishi sized car with RWD and an LS2. But I'm perfectly honest enough to say my idea would run Camaro into the ground, because while I'd win over plenty of hard core enthusiasts, I would have turned off the car to plenty of people. I can be honest enough to say my opinion of what the next Camaro should be wouldn't be in the best intrest of Camaro having a future.

The difference here is that I'm willing to compromise to make sure Camaro HAS A FUTURE. As long as the basics are right. A better looking, quicker, and better made sporty coupe than the other guys come up with.

I WANT the next Camaro to sell like crazy.
I WANT the next Camaro to guarantee they'll be another.
I WANT a Camaro that's going to win over new buyers, and not just Camaro bobbleheads.
I'm willing to give a bit in order to do this.

Wanna talk about who's more devoted to Camaro?

Want to debate who's more committed to Camaro's future?

You want to talk about someone who's going to walk the walk, not just talk the talk??

Line forms to the left.

Throw the dice and take your chances.

Last edited by guionM; 08-29-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
... and not just Camaro bobbleheads.
ROFLMAO! There's a new one, LOL.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:39 PM

so when you say 2008 does that mean 2007 model year?

Quick Reply: Time for a reality check on the 5th gen