Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

So what do we know about the Gen V V8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Koz

Re: So what do we know about the Gen V V8?

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
Performance can still be had with less power. Lighter materials, proper suspension, brakes, and tires will help a lot.
Personally, I am getting a bit annoyed by these horsepower wars. ....

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Who says less horsepower equates to less performance? As others have obviously stated, improvements in suspension and materials will go much further in improving performance than raw horsepower. The Corvette is a refined sports car. ....

As long as its overall performance is better (i.e. quicker) than the C6 Z06, who cares if it has less horsepower?
Lets make a list of sports cars, super cars, & exotics that reduced power with a newer generation AND achieved higher performance.

You'll have to start, because I can't think of any.

Also, performance doesn't sell the majority of cars; marketing and perception are responsible for that.

I'll agree that it's possible they could cut power and have better performance if they cut weight. But we're talking about what, a ~3300lb car currently? How much weight are you going to realistically cut?

I think you guys have good intentions, and I totally understand your reasoning (I for one would be fine with significantly better performance if the power was less; I even admitted that I don't care if they put a V6 or whatever in the Vette, as long as it performs better than the last Vette); but at the same time, I think you're being unrealistic and it comes off as just being kinda silly.

Last edited by Koz; 12-15-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I suspect the C7 will get the same V8 as in the ATSv.

Since it's no real secret anymore (one can find info on it now... if you you know where to search), expect the new 6.2 engine to get roughly 470hp and (thanks to direct injection) still get about 25-26mpg on the highway (all subject to final tuning).

It's not exactly a ground up engine as some might think, but it is very much up to date and fully capable of being around the rest of the decade.

LSA isn't going anywhere for at least a few years.
When is this DI 6.2 suppose to hit the streets?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I just hope that future Corvettes retain their low-end torque. One of the greatest things about American muscle (including Corvette) as compared to import performance cars is low-end torque. With a few forced-induction exceptions, most of the competition sucks below 3500 rpm. Outside of a race track, idle to 3500 rpm is what most drivers will use most often. I just don't think I could convince myself to spend serious money on a car if I wasn't going to enjoy driving it most of the time.

I eagerly await the death of the camshaft (in favor of electronically actuated valves or something like that), so that this problem can go away.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
When is this DI 6.2 suppose to hit the streets?
Info should be out at the ATS intro at the Detroit show.

FWIW, all 3 ATS engines will have direct injection. Also, the ATS is the only car that I can remember that's going to have a 4, 6, and V8 engine since the Mustangs of the 80s.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 PM

It's not going to be a 6.2, it's a 5.5 liter!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I just hope that future Corvettes retain their low-end torque. One of the greatest things about American muscle (including Corvette) as compared to import performance cars is low-end torque. With a few forced-induction exceptions, most of the competition sucks below 3500 rpm. Outside of a race track, idle to 3500 rpm is what most drivers will use most often. I just don't think I could convince myself to spend serious money on a car if I wasn't going to enjoy driving it most of the time.

I eagerly await the death of the camshaft (in favor of electronically actuated valves or something like that), so that this problem can go away.
Everyone is always so caught up in the HP rating, but it's the torque that makes a car feel fast.

For as long as I can remember, most GM V8's either had more torque or about the same torque as their engines HP rating. Hopefully this new generation is the same.

Btw, this Gen V's base engine probably will be outputting more than the LS3. I mean, DI + V8 it shouldn't be too hard to exceed 430hp. However, getting to the HP is one thing. It's another to make sure its durable enough. GM generally has a full 100,000 mile warranty on the base engines. Which is why I'm sure the development process is taking quite some time. I don't know many 430hp+ cars in which the companies are willing to back their engines up to 100,000 miles.

Last edited by King Moose SS; 12-18-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Everyone is always so caught up in the HP rating, but it's the torque that makes a car feel fast.

For as long as I can remember, most GM V8's either had more torque or about the same torque as their engines HP rating. Hopefully this new generation is the same.

Btw, this Gen V's base engine probably will be outputting more than the LS3. I mean, DI + V8 it shouldn't be too hard to exceed 430hp. However, getting to the HP is one thing. It's another to make sure its durable enough. GM generally has a full 100,000 mile warranty on the base engines. Which is why I'm sure the development process is taking quite some time. I don't many 430hp+ cars in which the companies are willing to back their engines up to 100,000 miles.
1. You are 100% correct about torque. While it's horsepower that wins sales, it's torque that wins races.

2. In general, with few exceptions (the biggest being Ford's V8 engines in the mid to late 1970s), horsepower and torque numbers typically tend to be not too far off if you aren't talking about blown 4s (Viper's 500/500 comes quickly to mind).

3. You can bet the farm that GM's next gen V8s are going to outpower current gen engines. With nothing more than direct injection you're going to get more power (with no fuel economy penalty).

4. If you think 430hp with company backing is rare, get ready for 470.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 PM

1. You are 100% correct about torque. While it's horsepower that wins sales, it's torque that wins races.
No, it is torque @ speed that wins races. In other words, power.

Suppose you could buy a Ferrari Italia with its 550+ peak hp V8 (and ~400 lb-ft of peak torque), or the same car with a 6.6L Duramax with 397 peak hp and 765 lb-ft of peak torque. Which version do you think would be quicker and faster, assuming the same weight and other specs?

Paging Bob Cosby...
Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
No, it is torque @ speed that wins races. In other words, power.
Indeed! Horsepower is telling you how much work you can accomplish with that unit of force. The two are inter-related and neither can do anything without the other.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

No, horsepower wins races too. My point is this: Low end torque causes the driver to smile wide, and through this wins repeat sales.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 AM

Any news on these engines? The wait is killing me
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Same as before DI V8 6.2 and 5.3 versions.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 PM

It has been awhile since anyone posted here, not sure if it is being discussed in other threads or not.

But on other forums there has been discussion and disappointment that the Gen V small block is set to come with AFM (cylinder shut down) and this would reduce the HP some. And seeing as the Next Gen Vette is to have a 6.2l Gen V small block some don't think it is appropriate.

but just today I ran across a video of the head engineer for the Gen V saying Gen V will have VVT for the Corvette as well as AFM cylinder shut down. Just the way it was said I get the impression the Corvette engine will not have cylinder shut down, and hence probably not in the Camaro either when it gets passed down.. Other thoughts on it from the other forum is that manual trans will be without AFM and autos will have it.

They are also saying "at least" 450hp in the Corvette with better gas mileage than the current LS3.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=2738& transactionid=1353725747-146111&posted_by=HiG4s_www.camaroz28.com&youtube_v ideo_id=IYSdu-Sq9qQ[/autostream]

Last edited by HiG4s; 11-23-2012 at 09:07 PM.