Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

So what do we know about the Gen V V8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 AM

Re: So what do we know about the Gen V V8?

If you recall, the previous generation Z06 only displaced 5.7L, but then it did have more horsepower than the standard 5.7L in the base Corvette. As long as the C7 Z06 has comparable horsepower to weight as the current gen, does the displacement really matter?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
If you recall, the previous generation Z06 only displaced 5.7L, but then it did have more horsepower than the standard 5.7L in the base Corvette. As long as the C7 Z06 has comparable horsepower to weight as the current gen, does the displacement really matter?
I wonder how people would feel if the next Z06 was just 50HP more than the base Corvette. Lets say...

6.2L 480HP = Corvette
6.4L 530HP = Corvette Z06

Of course the Z06 would also be lighter than the base Corvette.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I wonder how people would feel if the next Z06 was just 50HP more than the base Corvette. Lets say...

6.2L 480HP = Corvette
6.4L 530HP = Corvette Z06

Of course the Z06 would also be lighter than the base Corvette.
I was actually thinking that if the C7 weighs significantly less than the C6, why not a 400-425hp base Corvette and a N/A 450-500hp Z06. (Again, assuming the Z06 would weigh less than the base Corvette.)
Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Koz

I was actually thinking that if the C7 weighs significantly less than the C6, why not a 400-425hp base Corvette and a N/A 450-500hp Z06. (Again, assuming the Z06 would weigh less than the base Corvette.)
"Introducing the NEW 2014 Corvette. Now with LESS horsepower."

Come on guys, I don't mean to be an ***, but why would you even bother to make a new engine for your flagship sports car that produces less power? Again, remember, this is a sports car. Fuel economy is important, but not as much as performance.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Koz

Come on guys, I don't mean to be an ***, but why would you even bother to make a new engine for your flagship sports car that produces less power? Again, remember, this is a sports car. Fuel economy is important, but not as much as performance.
Forgot perception as well. A C7 can be lighter and stiffer and whatever, P/W means nothing to most people.

Anyways I like the LS7 in the Z06 simply because its different. the engine in the Z06 doesn't rely on 32 valves and 10,000 rpm or a twin turbos or a 2.3L TVS (sounds wierd coming from the guy with the boosted 32 valve Mustang I know), it gets its power with big cubic inches and frankly when GM decides to kill the LS7 and put whatever LS9/LSA derivative in it I think Corvette in general will be poorer for it.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Koz

Performance can still be had with less power. Lighter materials, proper suspension, brakes, and tires will help a lot.
Personally, I am getting a bit annoyed by these horsepower wars. Eventually you probably start to get to a point of diminishing returns. Bragging rights are cool and all for who can build the most power, but if you cant use that power in a manner that doesn't send you all over the road or track...then what is the point. Not to mention serious money to build these things.

It is VERY easy for a stock C6 Z06 to get out from under you with 505hp. Good thing it has 12 inch wide tires and 20 brake pads
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Koz

Who says less horsepower equates to less performance? As others have obviously stated, improvements in suspension and materials will go much further in improving performance than raw horsepower. The Corvette is a refined sports car. While I will agree that the Z06, if it stays in production, should retain the brutish persona it currently has; however the LS7 uses older technology and quite frankly, as cool as it is, its day is done and it needs to be reserved for engine swaps into older vehicles.

The C7 needs a next gen engine. I'd actually like to see a smaller displacement, higher reving, direct injected N/A V8 in the next Z06. As long as its overall performance is better (i.e. quicker) than the C6 Z06, who cares if it has less horsepower?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM

I don't know if they can get away with less power. I bet they can certainly get away with only 440HP if the car is lighter and performs better than a C6.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM

It would be a HUGE mistake to introduce the C7 with less horsepower than the C6. As stated before, most folks do not care about power-to-weight...they care about the numbers on paper. Going backwards with regard to power in a sports car would be disastrous.

The Gen V should have more power and get better MPG...no questions asked.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I don't know if they can get away with less power. I bet they can certainly get away with only 440HP if the car is lighter and performs better than a C6.
Originally Posted by uluz28
It would be a HUGE mistake to introduce the C7 with less horsepower than the C6. As stated before, most folks do not care about power-to-weight...they care about the numbers on paper. Going backwards with regard to power in a sports car would be disastrous.

BTW, I am specifically referring to the Z06, not the base C7 Corvette.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I agree

Originally Posted by uluz28

The only way I could see it as acceptable to cut back on HP is if fuel prices raise to say $8 a gallon and the car got lighter. Also, the cut back on power couldn't be big. They could probably do 2900lbs. and 400HP on the C8 can get away with it, but again gas prices would need to be much higher too so you have a scape goat to blame the power cut on.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM

BTW, I am specifically referring to the Z06, not the base C7 Corvette.
Nuts.

I actually don't think that will happen at all then, although I could very well be mistaken. I would have figured the next Z06 would have 550HP or so. Depends on what they do with it I suppose, but I imagine something like a Gen V LSA will end up in it which means it is unlikely it will be less.

If it is hotter heads and cam like the C5 Z06, then perhaps it would just end up with 500HP.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM

I for one would hate to see the LSA in the C7 Z06. Its perfectly fine for the Camaro ZL1 and Cadillac CTS-V... just keep it out of the Corvette.

Now a Gen V small-block with a hotter cam/heads making 500 hp... N/A... that's a different story.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by HiG4s
and a blown or turbo'ed 5.5L for the ZR1 taking it to 650hp.
There is no production plan for the 5.5L.

The larger displacement is getting boosted a version though.
Originally Posted by bossco
Anyways I like the LS7 in the Z06 simply because its different. the engine in the Z06 doesn't rely on 32 valves and 10,000 rpm or a twin turbos or a 2.3L TVS (sounds wierd coming from the guy with the boosted 32 valve Mustang I know), it gets its power with big cubic inches and frankly when GM decides to kill the LS7 and put whatever LS9/LSA derivative in it I think Corvette in general will be poorer for it.
I would have disagreed with you from the moment I heard about the LS7 till the moment I actually got to spend time in the C6 Z06. I always thought the displacement was excessive and could have been done better with something like the LSA. But I was wrong. The LS7 has a savage brutality that that LSA could only dream about. It's raw, loud, uncompromising, and it sounds incredible when you get it to the top end under load. It makes you feel like a god behind the wheel when the engine screams that hard. Which is the car's greatest flaw...

...There's no legal way in the US (except on the track) to enjoy hearing that engine at top end for more than an instant.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:34 AM

I suspect the C7 will get the same V8 as in the ATSv.

Since it's no real secret anymore (one can find info on it now... if you you know where to search), expect the new 6.2 engine to get roughly 470hp and (thanks to direct injection) still get about 25-26mpg on the highway (all subject to final tuning).

It's not exactly a ground up engine as some might think, but it is very much up to date and fully capable of being around the rest of the decade.

LSA isn't going anywhere for at least a few years.

Last edited by guionM; 12-15-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: So what do we know about the Gen V V8?