Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang gets T-tops & a few other tidbits

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 AM

Re: Mustang gets T-tops & a few other tidbits

My 95 Z never leaks, nor did my 94', and 86'. Who here actually takes what redzed says as fact or even a reasonable opinion?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 AM

I'd hope the 5th gen would get t-tops (or maybe a targa, I'm a big fan of targa top too ). I believe over 60% of buyers selected that option. I know I didn't care when I got my first f-body (84 firebird s/e), but after i had my 87 TA with them, I never wanted an f-body without them again. Neither my 00 Camaro nor my 02 WS.6's leak. I can't remember if my 87's leaked at all, but that car was really beat up when I got it, I wouldn't be surprised (there were rips in the driver side seal).

My main concern would be that the coupe be designed around the intention of t-tops. I wouldn't want to see a lack of structural integrity in t-toped models simply b/c there wasn't the forsight when they were designing the coupe. I'd also like to see if there's some sort of way to get the t-top look and feel but have them work something like a sunroof so you don't have to take them off and store them in the trunk.

Chris
Old 02-07-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by blckbrd84
I'd hope the 5th gen would get t-tops (or maybe a targa, I'm a big fan of targa top too ). I believe over 60% of buyers selected that option. I know I didn't care when I got my first f-body (84 firebird s/e), but after i had my 87 TA with them, I never wanted an f-body without them again. Neither my 00 Camaro nor my 02 WS.6's leak. I can't remember if my 87's leaked at all, but that car was really beat up when I got it, I wouldn't be surprised (there were rips in the driver side seal).

My main concern would be that the coupe be designed around the intention of t-tops. I wouldn't want to see a lack of structural integrity in t-toped models simply b/c there wasn't the forsight when they were designing the coupe. I'd also like to see if there's some sort of way to get the t-top look and feel but have them work something like a sunroof so you don't have to take them off and store them in the trunk.

Chris
you could bet that they'd be designing the car around the t-top and convertible forms
they already did with the corvette (around the vert) and same with the mustang
it's just becoming a standard thing anymore sounds like
Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 PM

Never had problems with the 91 leaking but it was garaged most of the time...but on the flip side, i live in a dry hot summer climate (causes that rubber gasket thing to crack, in theory). It leaked during the first rain when it was new but that was a manufacturer defect (probably not enough glue or something).

I'm willing to bet with proper maintenance (dont park in direct sun when you can help it and silicone stuff to grease it every so often) they'll last forever (or til your girlfriend tries to take them off or put them on )
Old 02-08-2005, 11:55 PM

I really don't like t-tops because of the leaks. Mine leak, they let in more wind noise on the highway, and the plastic cover on the driver's side rattles. The first car to have them was the 68 Corvette, you would think that GM by 1999 would have t-tops down to a fine science. I think the whole concept is a flawed idea.

The t-top car doesn't look as nice as a hardtop, but it doesn't mess with the lines too much on the 4th gens, unless you want to do a stripe. If you look at a 1990's 300ZX, they have a body color piece painted in so that the roof flows if you are looking at the side profile. On those cars, the t-tops look far more intergrated.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:29 PM

Well now I think the 5th gen HAS to have t-tops. If the Mustang can pull it off with that rear quarter window, then theres no reason GM cant design the new Camaro to have them. Pretty cool Ford is offering them now. They were an option alot of people wanted on F-bodies thats for sure. Another jab at GM for not offering an F-body.

As far as leakage goes, the only thing that could make my t-tops leak were three hurricanes. I dont think the seals were designed with 130mph wind and sideways rain in mind......
Old 02-09-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
Well now I think the 5th gen HAS to have t-tops. If the Mustang can pull it off with that rear quarter window, then theres no reason GM cant design the new Camaro to have them. Pretty cool Ford is offering them now. They were an option alot of people wanted on F-bodies thats for sure. Another jab at GM for not offering an F-body.

As far as leakage goes, the only thing that could make my t-tops leak were three hurricanes. I dont think the seals were designed with 130mph wind and sideways rain in mind......
You make two good points in your post.
1. This is a jab at GM, and a good one. I'm sure it won't be very profitable for Ford to make t-tops (and this is all that Ford really cares about- profits).
2. If the t-tops are leaking, you're driving too slow
Old 02-09-2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
So really...the 05 Mustang is more Fbody then Mustang?
Unique chassis to only the Mustang (As of now)
Live axle set up similar to the third and 4th gens,
strut front suspension
and now TTops?

If Ford really does do this, this is a slap in GM and Chevy's face.
More like a wake-up call! I'd heard from all the insiders on this board that T-tops would not be in the 5th gen. Maybe this'll change GM's mind about offering T-tops.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
1. I hope Ford has better luck in making its T-tops "waterproof" than GM.

2. I can personally state that I would now prefer a Mercedes-style all-glass "Panorama sunroof" to any inconvienent T-top or targa option.

3. The crude sunroof on the Pontiac G6 looks terrible when it's open. Does anyone enjoy the "pile-of-glass" look of all the small stacked glass panels. GM has gone down the wrong road with this overpriced eyesore of a sunroof. They should have just copied Mercedes - just like Toyota did with the Scion tC.

4. GuionM, you were wrong about the Mustang losing the T-top option with the 1987 facelift. It turns out that T-tops were offered until 1988.

5. I wonder how the T-tops will be stored in the Mustang's trunk. It's too shallow to store them upright like the F4 ,and nobody would put up with the envelope solution used by the F2, F3 and G-bodies. Is there any possibility the tops will stack under the floor of the truck?

That's what Rolls-Royce did in the Bentley Continental SC. (The SC stands for Sedanca Coupe. A "Sedanca" is a semi-open body style that died out in the 1930's, so don't feel stupid for not knowing what it was.) In the Continental SC, the most expensive car ever to offer "T-tops," there was a power release for the roof panels. The most interesting feature was that while there were two roof panels - like all T-tops - there was no fixed center divider bar - like a targa.
1. I think waterproofing technology has moved forward in the 12 years since the 4th gen came out.

2. Panorama sunroof? Where's that icon.... oh there it is:

3. You got me there. be sure you mark in the ole diary that we agreed 100% on something.

4. You got me again. It wasn't promoted or really advertized, so I thought it died.

5. Since I carry a full gas can back there (after being stranded a couple of times due to my inexcusable ignorance that 1/4 tank of gas on the 4th gen's fuel guage means zero gas in the tank), so I simply fold down the rear seat & put the tops there.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

5. Since I carry a full gas can back there (after being stranded a couple of times due to my inexcusable ignorance that 1/4 tank of gas on the 4th gen's fuel guage means zero gas in the tank), so I simply fold down the rear seat & put the tops there.
Yours does that TOO?????/?slash OMG! I swore that was just mine... hmmm, then maybe it's just the speedo that is off.

[/private thoughts]
Old 02-09-2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Yours does that TOO?????/?slash OMG! I swore that was just mine... hmmm, then maybe it's just the speedo that is off.

[/private thoughts]
Yep, 2nd 4th gen I've owned with that problem.

Next to the autolights, this is the most maddening thing about the car.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:36 PM

Don't feel lonely - my new 04 Cobra has a horribly inaccurate gas gauge. When the gauge reads 3/4ths, I'm really down near 1/2. I learned the hard way (at the drag strip) that when the needle just touches the "E", it is EMPTY. Very embarrasing.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:00 PM

My Camaro has a very accurate gas gauge.

However, nobody can top the Cadillac gauge, it estimates how many gallons you have before running out(this was pretty cool considering it came out in 1985).
Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28/03mach1
T-tops are trashy.I think ford is making a mistake.Why not just get a convertible???.
Trashy??? What are you talking about you retard?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:18 PM

Origionally posted by GuoinM
Yep, 2nd 4th gen I've owned with that problem.

Next to the autolights, this is the most maddening thing about the car.
I hate auto lights...
Make drivebys alot harder than they should be and hidng from cops isnt as easy either

Last edited by 'maro4life; 02-09-2005 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Mustang gets T-tops & a few other tidbits