Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Motor Trends Alpha facts"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
. It's not easy to design small cars to make them look aggressive.
Personally, I disagree. I think size has no bearing on how agressively styled a car can be. In fact, I think in many ways a smaller car can be even more agressive looking than a big hulking one.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 AM

One other thing to add...

I'd imagine the ROI for Alpha could be pretty sweet if the ATS, Camaro and CTS are built on one assembly line. Much better than the current cost structure of Zeta 2 and Sigma individually at two seperate plants.

Last edited by Z284ever; 02-06-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Personally, I disagree. I think size has no bearing on how agressively styled a car can be. In fact, I think in many ways a smaller car can be even more agressive looking than a big hulking one.
Name some! Please don't confuse aggressive with ricey!

The more I look at BMWs, Mercs and Audis, the more I'm inclined to believe their respective small car range looks more nice and cute than aggressive...

PS I hope Motor Trend aren't reading your posts and assuming that Alpha will be spread across the GM brands...
Old 02-06-2010, 03:55 PM

The more I look at BMWs, Mercs and Audis, the more I'm inclined to believe their respective small car range looks more nice and cute than aggressive...

PS I hope Motor Trend aren't reading your posts and assuming that Alpha will be spread across the GM brands...
Opel Corsa OPC
Audi S3
Ford Focus RS
Subaru Imprezza WRX (last gen)
Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Opel Corsa OPC
Audi S3
Ford Focus RS
Subaru Imprezza WRX (last gen)
Meh! They aren't even in the same 'legend' status as the Camaro. Anyways, they would pass through traffic virtually unnoticed.

The question you need to ask is this: Would Brad Pitt be seen in any of the cars you mentioned? My gut feel says no!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Meh! They aren't even in the same 'legend' status as the Camaro. Anyways, they would pass through traffic virtually unnoticed.

The question you need to ask is this: Would Brad Pitt be seen in any of the cars you mentioned? My gut feel says no!
In the US the Camaro is seen as a well thought out highly styled car, much the same way that the EVO-X is in Japan. Take it outside the target market and what is it seen as? Over styled.

IMO if Brad Pitt were in Germany he may choose an S3 or Opel OPC, depending on his needs at the time.

But you are changing the argument. You asked for examples of aggressively styled compact cars. Now you want cars that stop traffic. IMO very few cars do that. The Audi A5 is at the top of my list for that along with more rare cars like the GT-R or something like a Lambo. A Camaro doesn't stop traffic IMO.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:09 PM

But you are changing the argument. You asked for examples of aggressively styled compact cars. Now you want cars that stop traffic. IMO very few cars do that. The Audi A5 is at the top of my list for that along with more rare cars like the GT-R or something like a Lambo. A Camaro doesn't stop traffic IMO.
No I'm not. I'm just disagreeing with you. The cars you quoted are definitely ricey.

I just put up a slightly humorous connotation to my response, that's all!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:14 PM

OMG how much time do you have?

Ferrari - any. I'm particularly fond of the 430 Scuderia and new 458 Italia though.

Audi - S4, S5.

BMW - M3, 335i, 135i.

Mercedes Benz - C63, SLR.

Z06, ZR1, G37, GTR, etc., etc...........
Old 02-06-2010, 04:21 PM

No I'm not. I'm just disagreeing with you. The cars you quoted are definitely ricey.
Perhaps I am mis-understanding your 'humor' again. But how do you see this as ricey?

No wings, no stickers, no huge valences, no giant air intakes.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 PM

OMG how much time do you have?

Ferrari - any. I'm particularly fond of the 430 Scuderia and new 458 Italia though.

Audi - S4, S5.

BMW - M3, 335i, 135i.

Mercedes Benz - C63, SLR.

Z06, ZR1, G37, GTR, etc., etc...........
Some of those cars aren't small. Some that you mention are even wider than Camaro!

M3 is more "iron fist in a velvet glove"! but not necessarily aggressive if you ignore the lump in the hood - it could be mistaken for just a stylish two door. The 1-series is cute. How could you say aggressive with those bug eyes?

I'm not saying it can't be done, all I'm saying is that it's harder to make it smaller (proportions remember - you cannot compare Camaro's footprint against any Ferrari) while making it look as aggressive as the 5G.

Btw, if I'm to take the article literally, I think it's great news. I often don't buy the argument that certain platforms are too expensive for Chevrolet as there are some expensive and high performance Chevrolets that need the best platforms... just as Cadillac do. Camaro could certainly get away with using more exotic materials in its hi-po versions.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Perhaps I am mis-understanding your 'humor' again. But how do you see this as ricey?

No ricy fake hoodslot or fake rear brake vents - oh - nevermind.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Some of those cars aren't small. Some that you mention are even wider than Camaro!

:
All smaller than the Camaro, in fact some MUCH smaller. And that was your point right, that nothing smaller than the current Camaro can be styled agressively?
Old 02-06-2010, 04:31 PM

OT: if it didn't have the Audi badge, it could be easily mistaken for a Honda.

Anyway, I think I've answered you post so we don't need to prolong the argument. Camaro is definitely more 'aggressive' than any of your examples.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM

All smaller than the Camaro, in fact some MUCH smaller. And that was your point right, that nothing smaller than the current Camaro can be styled agressively?
You are confusing a couple of things. Size and proportion that are relevant to Camaro. You cannot change 5G Camaro's heritage styling cues radically to have it sit on Alpha - you can but you run the risk of alienating a successful design.

Proportion and stance is the key here. How do you retain that and make Camaro smaller while also making the car look as aggressive as the 5G? This is clearly the point I want to get across.

Last edited by SSbaby; 02-06-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:52 PM

Brad Pitt? Why would I care, and doesn't he drive a Prius?

Quick Reply: Motor Trends Alpha facts"