Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Latest dumb regulation attempt (this time not from Cali!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 05:37 PM

Exclamation Latest dumb regulation attempt (this time not from Cali!)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all living animals expell the stuff, as well?

"Three Attorneys General Plan to Sue EPA
Thu Jan 30,11:24 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By ANN S. KIM, Associated Press Writer

PORTLAND, Maine - Attorneys general in three states announced Thursday that they plan to sue the Environmental Protection Agency (news - web sites) to make it regulate carbon dioxide.

The officials in Maine, Massachusetts and Connecticut argue that there is no longer any doubt that carbon dioxide emissions are responsible for global warming (news - web sites), and that failure to regulate carbon dioxide violates the Clean Air Act.

In a letter to EPA Administrator Christine Todd Whitman (news - web sites), the attorneys general said they intend to sue in 60 days.

Steven Rowe of Maine, Tom Reilly of Massachusetts and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut criticized the Bush administration for inaction on carbon dioxide emissions from smokestacks and tailpipes.

"There is a clear pattern with this administration," Reilly said. "Clean air is not a priority, global warming is not a priority and they are not going to deal with this."

The White House announced last month that it was putting together a five-year plan to further study climate change. Critics said the move would put off any difficult decisions until after Bush leaves office.

EPA spokesman Joe Martyak said the agency has not been able to review details of the threatened suit and couldn't comment.

If the suit suceeds, the EPA would be required to add carbon dioxide to its list of common pollutants regulated under the Clear Air Act. The list already includes such things as carbon monoxide and ozone.
And you all thought our regulators out here in California were retards.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._air_lawsuit_1
Old 01-31-2003, 05:43 PM

Why would it be a bad thing if they tried to regulate Carbon Dioxide?
Old 01-31-2003, 05:47 PM

If they eliminated ALL man-made CO2 emissions, it would have ZERO effect on the environment. Man-made CO2 emissions are literal drop in the bucket. One volcano eruption puts more CO2 into the atmosphere than man has been responsible for since the industrial revolution began!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:05 PM
cmc

Morons. As usual, paid off by lobbyists. The problem is that as the area of wild vegetation decreases (and quite rapidly, I might add), less carbon dioxide is processed into oxygen.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by cmc
The problem is that as the area of wild vegetation decreases (and quite rapidly, I might add), less carbon dioxide is processed into oxygen.
I think you're on to something there!

as for the volcano comparison: Every time I hear that argument, it seems to get exaggerated out of proportion just slightly, until it's grown into having no credibility. First it was "all cars in a decade" then it was "all cars this century" then "all human activity this century" then "all human activity since the industrial revolution" .. what next? The fact is that it depends on what eruption you're talking about. Mount Saint Helens in 1980? Probably. The hundreds of small eruptions going on every day? Nope. I think cmc is on to something that gets overlooked all the time. CO2 from human activity I don't think s the problem. Human expansion is the problem. As a whole, we're consciously killing off natural combatants of CO2 at an accelerated pace, for the sake of bigger cities, bigger suburbs, more cities, more land usage for crops, etc. It's getting no better, it's only getting worse faster and faster. The "bear in my back yard" stories that were once unheard of are getting more common, since we're expanding into wilderness. "Don't save it; pave it" and the exponential population boom are the two things that will destroy the environment eventually, little by little.

Last edited by kizz; 01-31-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:45 PM

Would a little global warming be a bad thing, check out the weather in the northeast this past month

Plants need CO2 to live so I in theory could argue that CO2 is good for the environment
Old 01-31-2003, 08:18 PM

Would a little global warming be a bad thing, check out the weather in the northeast this past month
It's was 91 deg today in LA. That's even uncomfortable for summertime
Old 01-31-2003, 10:36 PM
Banned

Re: Latest dumb regulation attempt (this time not from Cali!)

Originally posted by guionM

And you all thought our regulators out here in California were retards.
I live in Mass, so I knew they were just as retarded if not more so than the west coast ones. They even passed a law to make it illegal to put an aftermarket exhaust on anything. They're trying to make New England the east coast version of California....actually, they already have.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:14 AM

Re: Re: Latest dumb regulation attempt (this time not from Cali!)

Originally posted by Richard Cabeza
They even passed a law to make it illegal to put an aftermarket exhaust on anything.
Bubb Rubb ain't tryin to hear 'dat. The whistles go wooo wooooot!
Old 02-01-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by danno02SS
It's was 91 deg today in LA. That's even uncomfortable for summertime
Send some of that weather this way , yesterday was the first day since Jan 13th that it got above 32

it's been averaging about -3 at night
Old 02-01-2003, 01:07 PM

I guess we should all start holding our breath most of the time to cut down on Carbon Dioxide? In the many, many years that carbon dioxide producing creatures have lived on this earth, I'm sure they have emitted millions of times more that every automobile that has ever existed combined.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Latest dumb regulation attempt (this time not from Cali!)

Originally posted by Richard Cabeza
I live in Mass, so I knew they were just as retarded if not more so than the west coast ones. They even passed a law to make it illegal to put an aftermarket exhaust on anything. They're trying to make New England the east coast version of California....actually, they already have.
That's pretty incredible.

Out here in California, outside of removing a functional Catalytic Converter (which is a Federal Regulation), we can pretty much put on any downstream exhaust system we want, and we can install any headers that have been approved by the Air Resources Board.

Sounds like Mass regulators are far worse than California, under the guise of trying to be like Cali.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:52 PM
cmc

I have no trouble running a catalyst. They hardly even restrict exhaust flow at all (especially aftermarket units). I believe that all street cars (and anything with a streetable engine) should run them, really... they just need to be made cheaper.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by cmc
I have no trouble running a catalyst. They hardly even restrict exhaust flow at all (especially aftermarket units). I believe that all street cars (and anything with a streetable engine) should run them, really... they just need to be made cheaper.

We just recently put a high flow catalytic converter on my brother's truck. It's the first time it has legitimately passed emissions (no denatured alchohol). And it doesn't seem to effect performance at all.