Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

It's Official: 2011 Ford Mustang GT has 5.0-liter V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
How can Camaro respond here? I don't know.
Lose weight and gain power?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
Still down on torque quite a bit from Camaro SS. I'll be curious to see what the torque curve is like.

Is that 25 mpg combined? If so, that's a 4 MPG jump over the 2010 Mustang and 6 more than the 2010 Camaro SS (manuals). I'm guessing it probably is combined as why brag about a highway number that's down 1 from your current car?
It HAS to be highway mileage, there is no way that combined will net you 25 mpg with a V8.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM

I have to say, I love what Ford is doing / has done with the Mustang. It's lightweight compared to competition in this day and age. It handles well and has good powerplants.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Ford does make a 6.2L and it puts out 411hp

Chevy has never made a 5.3L tuned for a RWD car. The 303HP unit was in a FWD and there is only so much power those transmissions can take.

Camaro SS will still likely be faster. In the MotorTrend comparison Camaro SS was only 1/10th behind a GT500 in the 1/4mi. I highly doubt the Mustang GT is going to be faster than the GT500.
The difference is that the 6.2L is a 2v Sohc tuned for truck applications while the high-performance Dohc 5.0L is different animal. If Ford were to really build a high performance Dohc 4v 6.2L, i think sub-500's is possible. It'd probably resemble MB's 6.2L AMG v8. But such an engine isn't needed since Ford already has the S/c'd 5.4L.

As for the Camaro SS vs the 5.0L GT, it should be close enough to be a drivers race. GT should have the slight advantage...at least on paper. We'll find out soon enough. And the GT500's have serious traction issues from the looks of it. Didn't MM&FF run high 11's with a stock one? I've also seen published times in the 12.2 to 12.8 range. We all know it's capable of putting more than 1/10ths on the SS in a drag race (key word being capable). The SS weighs about the same as the GT500 and is down 114horses.

I really look forward to seeing how the SS vs GT war plays out. I think the straightline performance, braking, and handling of the SS will be the same as the standard GT with the Trackpack equipped models besting the SS in the handling/braking department. GM should look into offering a track-package option as well.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
You forgot plenty more money. Isn't it going to be right in between the GT and GT500? GM won't have a problem raising their bar. But I have a feeling this HP war stuff will stop in the next few years. We've reached that diminishing returns point. It's getting ridiculous.
A major conflict in the mideast which closes the Persian Gulf will put an end to it quickly.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:28 PM

On looks alone I'd still take the Camaro!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 PM

412hp/390tq from a 5.0L in a $30k car without direct injection is STUPID IMPRESSIVE. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

GM set the bar high with the Camaro and I think you will see a 2011 GT with Track Pack raise that bar!

Can't wait to see how GM responds with the Camaro.

As for the comments about low compression and slapping a blower on, keep dreaming. There is no way this 5.0L is making its power with anything other than high compression. I am betting this will be a "premium fuel recommended" engine like the LS3.

I am also betting weight comes in around 3,650lbs. for the Track Pack car and it should show the Camaro SS its tailights on a drag strip and certainly on a road course.

Anyway you slice it, the 2011 GT looks to be a GREAT performance car. The best it has EVER been.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
We've reached that diminishing returns point. It's getting ridiculous.
I agree I think Toyota sees this and thats why it went lightweight with the toyobaru coupe. On that note, will the subie version be awd???
Old 12-18-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
It HAS to be highway mileage, there is no way that combined will net you 25 mpg with a V8.
Yes, they always advertise the highest number....in this case highway.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
More news....
Inside the engine are a forged-steel full counterweight crankshaft and four-bolt main bearings and high-performance pistons and connecting rods. Peak horsepower is reached at 6,500 rpm.
Heh, I hadn't commented here, but some of my Mustang buddies really wanted an all forged rotating assembly. I pretty much figured a steel crank with power coming in so high, hi-po rods and pistons? I still reading that as powdered metal and hypereutectic pistons (which is fine).
Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush

As for the Camaro SS vs the 5.0L GT, it should be close enough to be a drivers race. GT should have the slight advantage...at least on paper. We'll find out soon enough.
Thats my feeling as well, but its nice to see a 12 second capable GT from the factory

And the GT500's have serious traction issues from the looks of it. Didn't MM&FF run high 11's with a stock one? I've also seen published times in the 12.2 to 12.8 range. We all know it's capable of putting more than 1/10ths on the SS in a drag race (key word being capable). The SS weighs about the same as the GT500 and is down 114horses.
Tell me about it hopefully the fix has something to do with the upper rear control arm. If Ford can find a way to stiffen it up without increasing NVH it will hep considerably, then again going to an all AL engine helps a bit too.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
...Its always been my observation that big engines tend to be more accessible in thier performance due to the driving habits of the average guy as oppossed to smaller engines with a high specific output.
Reasonable. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
412hp/390tq from a 5.0L in a $30k car without direct injection is STUPID IMPRESSIVE. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

GM set the bar high with the Camaro and I think you will see a 2011 GT with Track Pack raise that bar!

Can't wait to see how GM responds with the Camaro.

As for the comments about low compression and slapping a blower on, keep dreaming. There is no way this 5.0L is making its power with anything other than high compression. I am betting this will be a "premium fuel recommended" engine like the LS3.

I am also betting weight comes in around 3,650lbs. for the Track Pack car and it should show the Camaro SS its tailights on a drag strip and certainly on a road course.

Anyway you slice it, the 2011 GT looks to be a GREAT performance car. The best it has EVER been.
I agree with all of the above. Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing it all in
Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Reasonable. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Agreed with the caveat being I think we will see the '11 being plenty fast at the track with a good driver while us average lunks (meaning me) will be inadvertantly tarnishing that image ( 13.5 @ 111 with my GT500 )
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
I have to say, I love what Ford is doing / has done with the Mustang. It's lightweight compared to competition in this day and age. It handles well and has good powerplants.
But will it be enough to put a dent in F5 sales while the Camaro is still fresh out the door?

Quick Reply: It's Official: 2011 Ford Mustang GT has 5.0-liter V8