Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

It's Official: 2011 Ford Mustang GT has 5.0-liter V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
To Ford Mustang fans, 5.0 means a lot, and the new 2011 5.0-liter V8 Mustang will deliver 412 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque, company officials said on Thursday.

The new 5.0-liter Mustang produces 83 hp per liter yet will return 25 mpg, according to Ford marketing boss Jim Farley.
Still down on torque quite a bit from Camaro SS. I'll be curious to see what the torque curve is like.

Is that 25 mpg combined? If so, that's a 4 MPG jump over the 2010 Mustang and 6 more than the 2010 Camaro SS (manuals). I'm guessing it probably is combined as why brag about a highway number that's down 1 from your current car?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 AM

Where are the Gen V motors????
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
Still down on torque quite a bit from Camaro SS. I'll be curious to see what the torque curve is like.

Is that 25 mpg combined? If so, that's a 4 MPG jump over the 2010 Mustang and 6 more than the 2010 Camaro SS (manuals). I'm guessing it probably is combined as why brag about a highway number that's down 1 from your current car?
My guess is 25mpg highway. 25MPG combined out of a V8 with >400HP seems like a HUGE jump. I'm sure someone here can shed more light on what the 25mpg rating is for.

Sounds like a real nice update on the Mustang.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
wow 15 years later ford is almost catching up in the power department.

Only interesting thing is they got 412hp out of a 5.0 and chevy's 5.3 is only at 303hp.
If HP/cube was applied should ford ever make a 6.2 it would be brutal.
Luckily it's Ford and having the most powerful engine hasn't been their thing for the last decade and a half so probably not much to worry about there.
You can look at it a couple of ways. If HP/Cam was applied, Ford wouldn't even be in the ballpark.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM

How can Camaro respond here? I don't know.
Cam and headers will be required. 5th gens are already making great numbers with cam/headers/tune. Those mods won't be near as easy with a stang. And there is no telling if they will even gain much if Ford has already tuned the exhaust and such.

It is a nice setup though.

-Geoff
Old 12-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Cam and headers will be required. 5th gens are already making great numbers with cam/headers/tune. Those mods won't be near as easy with a stang. And there is no telling if they will even gain much if Ford has already tuned the exhaust and such.

It is a nice setup though.

-Geoff
I meant how can GM respond with the Camaro. The SS is a powerful but soft, heavy cruiser. Now the GT has no deficit in power to weight and still retains it's handling advantage, in fact with the new TP will be widening that advantage. It'll be interesting to watch.

And as I mentioned before, the Boss is also on it's way - more power, more handling, less weight.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
wow 15 years later ford is almost catching up in the power department.

Only interesting thing is they got 412hp out of a 5.0 and chevy's 5.3 is only at 303hp.
If HP/cube was applied should ford ever make a 6.2 it would be brutal.
Luckily it's Ford and having the most powerful engine hasn't been their thing for the last decade and a half so probably not much to worry about there.
Ford does make a 6.2L and it puts out 411hp

Chevy has never made a 5.3L tuned for a RWD car. The 303HP unit was in a FWD and there is only so much power those transmissions can take.

I meant how can GM respond with the Camaro. The SS is a powerful but soft, heavy cruiser. Now the GT has no deficit in power to weight and still retains it's handling advantage, in fact with the new TP will be widening that advantage. It'll be interesting to watch.

Camaro SS will still likely be faster. In the MotorTrend comparison Camaro SS was only 1/10th behind a GT500 in the 1/4mi. I highly doubt the Mustang GT is going to be faster than the GT500.

Last edited by Z28x; 12-18-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM

And as I mentioned before, the Boss is also on it's way - more power, more handling, less weight.
You forgot plenty more money. Isn't it going to be right in between the GT and GT500? GM won't have a problem raising their bar. But I have a feeling this HP war stuff will stop in the next few years. We've reached that diminishing returns point. It's getting ridiculous.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Ford does make a 6.2L and it puts out 411hp

Chevy has never made a 5.3L tuned for a RWD car. The 303HP unit was in a FWD and there is only so much power those transmissions can take.
Exactly. I honestly wonder how much mods will do with this engine. Getting 412hp out of a port injected 5.0, sounds like it's maxed out. I wouldn't be surprised if full bolt-ons and a tune didn't take it any higher than 450hp.

And if that's the case, it would end up being just like most other Mustangs, where forced induction was necessary to catch up.

Last edited by bkpliskin; 12-18-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Chevy has never made a 5.3L tuned for a RWD car.
The SSR was originally equipped with an aluminum 5.3L; but is it a car, or a truck?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The SSR was originally equipped with an aluminum 5.3L; but is it a car, or a truck?
It was built on a BoF truck chassis (Trailblazer) and had a bed. That is like asking if the Lightning or Lincoln Blackwood was a car
Old 12-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Really? I did not know that. I thought it started with the LS1.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Camaro SS will still likely be faster. In the MotorTrend comparison Camaro SS was only 1/10th behind a GT500 in the 1/4mi. I highly doubt the Mustang GT is going to be faster than the GT500.
We'll see. I'm thinking the 5.0L Mustang will be very competitive with the Camaro in a straight line. The TP will also get 3.73 gears for it.

BTW, GT500 number are all over the place depending on traction, technique, etc., so I wouldn't take that one test as gospel.

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
You forgot plenty more money. Isn't it going to be right in between the GT and GT500? GM won't have a problem raising their bar. But I have a feeling this HP war stuff will stop in the next few years. We've reached that diminishing returns point. It's getting ridiculous.

That's what I've heard, right between the GT and GT500. Figure it'll cost as much as a loaded SS. As far as GM not having a problem raising the bar - I'd say GM has a tough job ahead of it. Both the Mustang V6 and GT will have better power to weight, better MPG, better handling, better braking, better steering than their Camaro counterparts. It's NOT simply about adding more power.

Unless Camaro pulls a rabbit out of it's hat - it's gonna be an ugly magazine comparo season for the Camaro.

Last edited by Z284ever; 12-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Damn, this makes the already hot Mustang even MORE attractive in my eyes. Maybe in 2015 or so I can think about picking up a 2011 or 2012 5.0L GT convertible M6... I still think the 2005-2009 body looks better, however. In the styling realm, Camaro generally has the current Mustang beat, from most angles at least. It looks almost like a concept car, even though I see them on the road pretty regularly now.

BTW, regarding the SSR, it NEVER had an LS1. It had a 5.3L truck engine with a 4 speed auto at first. Then it switched to the LS2 for 2005 (IIRC), when it also gained the option for a six speed manual.

Anyway, back to the Mustang. I'm not in the market for a new toy like this (I tend to buy used), but if I were spending my money on a pony car next year, I think I would choose the Mustang. Well, I pretty much would by default, since I'd get a droptop. But even if I were looking at the coupes, this might put me over the top, as much as I love the Camaro's styling and powertrain.

It's gonna be neat seeing Mustangs with 5.0L badges again! (And this time, I hope the engine will actually BE 5.0L, unlike the 4.9L that Ford creatively rounded up to an even 5.0L with the old 302 ci ).
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM

I am liking the Mustang more and more... The new body style, the new interior, the new V8... to be honest, there isn't much I don't like.

The Camaro is still a sharp product though. Since a diet is not feasible, I think an optional suspension package could go a long way in making the F-body more appealing.

I hope the 5.0 is a low compression engine that runs 87 octane. That would make it even more appealing, as well as a prime candidate for supercharging.

If I was in the market for a pony car, the way the line ups are right now, I'd be really temped to get a track pack Mustang (Isn't it rumored to have Brembo's up front next go round?) and throw a blower on it...

Quick Reply: It's Official: 2011 Ford Mustang GT has 5.0-liter V8