Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:52 PM

Re: Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

Originally Posted by anasazi
The difference, Sparky, is that GM...

NEVER...

BLAMED...

THEIR...

SEATBELT...

ISSUE...

ON...

THE...

IDEA...

THAT...

THEIR...

OWN...

CUSTOMERS...

WERE...

PIGS...

INSTEAD...

OF...

ADMITTING...

AN...

IDIOTIC...

DESIGN.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant

Honda engineers, just like humans everywhere, aren't perfect, and it kinda annoys me when people take for granted that they are. But if there's a place to start calling the kettle black, I wouldn't be talking about potential fluid leaks if I were defending GM
Eric, data was posted. Even the apparently earth-shattering Ford ignition issue is FIFTEEN TIMES less common on a percentage basis than the CRV fires, and Ford was at LEAST classy enough NOT to blame a fundamental engineering flaw on their customers and dealers in that case. GM trucks tend to burst into flames without warning even more rarely than Fords.

Thanks for the oil-change tips, though. It's always nice when I get the opportunity to communicate with another engineer on such a high level - it really impresses everyone else.
Yeah, yer right... I'll chalk up my currently rotten attitude to having to spend the next 3 months in a plant un-screwing somebody else's rookie engineering mistakes.

Jackson, Michigan... a great place to spend your spring... and summer... and part of the fall... in a hotel room... fixing somebody else's problem... 14 hours a day... every day...

Betcha my mom can beat up yer mom though.

Last edited by PacerX; 04-14-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 PM

Wow! Lot of anger in here!

I really don't like the Ridgeline, but on the reverse, from a business perspective it is brilliant for Honda.

The fact of the matter is, Honda is cheap. It is the reason why they have 8 billion products with the same engine, based off loosley the same platform. The RL should be RWD and have a V8. Instead of spending the money to do a whole new chassis, they just turn the accord up a few notches even futher than they did with the TL and call it a day. No RWD chassis, and no V8....to expensive.

Now Honda wanted a truck. Rather than build a whole new truck platform, which is expensive, and they really don't know how to do, they just take the Pilot, add a bed, and turn it up a few notches. And now it is a competitor for truck of the year. The platform which has it's roots also in the Accord is long paid for. Why spend the money on a V8....just us the Accord engine!

Honda has found what every company strives for. The public views it as a cool inovator, when in really, they are really, very cheap and stick with what they know.

Maybe next Toyota will axe the Tacoma and replace it will a truck based of the Highlander. Hell, Chevy can build the GMT-900's of the Equinox.

Also, I think the Ridgeline has a hideous interior for a Honda. It looks like they tried to make it manly, but ended up with a trassexual.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:21 AM

The thing is a damn Piolet w/ a little longer overhang over rear. It looks rediculious and i see tons of em driving around...

For GM which came first Suburban or Silverado... Silverado

Does honda even make a V8? Comon lets get sensible here... not a truck my dad laughed at it, and he loves toyotas... he said "thats not a truck" who would want such a rediculuos thing.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
Also, I think the Ridgeline has a hideous interior for a Honda. It looks like they tried to make it manly, but ended up with a trassexual.
Haha.

My brother loves this thing. He tells me that I should trade my 97 Z71 in on it because my truck is junk. He loves the bed/trunk! His opinion doesn't count though, he drives a 4 cyl. Accord with a CAI.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:56 AM

Perhaps you realize that the oil in a SBC filter is pressurized, as it is in, well, damn near every other vehicle. Thus, if there's a leak at the filter/block interface, or at the cooler lines, it's not all that difficult for the oil to overcome gravity.
The oil filter boss on almost every engine I can think of has an oil filter bypass galley in it. That way, if the filter is clogged, the oil will recirculate instead of failing the motor.

I cant see any way for oil to spray out from the filter boss, or "Overcome gravity." If there was, thered be a godamn multitude of fires, since the SBC and relations are the most produced internal combustion engine EVER. The problem simply does not exist.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MissedShift
I cant see any way for oil to spray out from the filter boss, or "Overcome gravity." If there was, thered be a godamn multitude of fires, since the SBC and relations are the most produced internal combustion engine EVER. The problem simply does not exist.
Go double-gasket your oil filter the next time you change your oil. That's a rather common problem, especially with the mouthbreathers at quick-change oil places. Then, start your car and find out how long it takes before the oil "overcomes gravity" in all sorts of interesting ways.

While degradation of the o-rings in GM filter adapters usually doesn't result in a geyser of oil, blowing a line has some potentially-interesting results.

Regardless, when all is said and done, I don't care for the idea of unibody on pickups unless it carries with it a lot more suspension travel than we're used to seeing in this market. I don't like the idea of 5-ft beds. I really don't like the idea of a payload rating of only 1000 lbs or thereabout, because one scoop of dirt in my Kubota's front-end loader will put it over the limit. And I'm certainly not interested in shelling out thirty-some thousand bucks for such a combination of features, and judging by compact-truck sales as a whole, I'm thinking that a lot of other people agree with me.

There's probably a market for a vehicle like the Ridgeline, but it's not in the crowd I hang out with. I would have been much more impressed if they would have released a true half-ton truck, but with the Japanese philosophy of incremental improvement, I'm guessing that such a thing isn't going to happen at Honda for quite some time.

Pacer, good luck sorting out those problems.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
Yeah, yer right... I'll chalk up my currently rotten attitude to having to spend the next 3 months in a plant un-screwing somebody else's rookie engineering mistakes.
Chear up Pacer we might possibly have a new Camaro before I am 50 and it may have a solid rear axle to make all the drag race fans happy.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Chear up Pacer we might possibly have a new Camaro before I am 50 and it may have a solid rear axle to make all the drag race fans happy.
Are you younger than 40?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:30 AM

24 sorry to tell you that.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:37 AM

24 sorry to tell you that.
OK, then we might have a Camaro by the time you're 50.

Maybe.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:00 AM

You guys that are saying this is nothing but a Pilot, nothing but a unibody car made to look like a truck... I guess you missed this quote, so I'll quote it again

Start from the ground up and consider the ultra-rigid unit body that's reinforced with a box-section ladder-type frame. This tow-friendly approach gives the Ridgeline many times the torsional rigidity of industry-leading pickups.
So it's a hybrid unibody/ladder frame setup.

PS- PacerX... a random observation, but you edit almost every single one of your lengthier posts long after posting them. I have no point... just thought it was odd.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 AM

Threxx is right that the frame is a half and half. Just like the Holden One Tonne and Ute. Just curious which you would rather own, Threxx, the Holden Ute Crew Cab, I believe it is called the Crewman, or the Highlander?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx

PS- PacerX... a random observation, but you edit almost every single one of your lengthier posts long after posting them. I have no point... just thought it was odd.
It's probably difficult to keep track, but I will generally go back and edit a line for humor value if something funnier hits me later, and I pretty much always go back and fix grammar/spelling mistakes.

Factual content or actual argumentation almost always remains unaltered, unless I type in:

***EDIT:***

Some folks think message boards are a wonderful place where you don't have to use proper English. I disagree, so I'll correct a mistake if I make one.

***EDIT: Here's one already - I misspelled "gammar" as "grammer" in the above. Just fixed it.***

Last edited by PacerX; 04-15-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Threxx is right that the frame is a half and half. Just like the Holden One Tonne and Ute. Just curious which you would rather own, Threxx, the Holden Ute Crew Cab, I believe it is called the Crewman, or the Highlander?
Definitely no
Heeeeeeell no
Ehhh... maybe, but only because it has an LS1 under the hood

I'm just not a big fan of the El Camino look to be honest.

Quick Reply: Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so