Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Re: Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

Originally Posted by anasazi
this is all you needed to say

i now understand why your posts contain what they contain.

Hmmm... Freud joined the board... that's great. Do you happen to read palms also?

Hey, you think Honda managed to keep the removable container of flammable fluids away from the red hot exhaust manifold this time?

I know that one actually takes some seriously amazing engineering there, but I'm pulling for them!

Japanese Engineer #1:
"Rets put the frammable fruids container that we take on and off all the time right here on top of the most honorable red hot exhaust maniford."

Japanese Engineer #2:
"You have showered my head with honor with your great engineering genius. Ret's go have some sake and watch Iron Chef reruns!"

Last edited by PacerX; 04-14-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by PacerX
Hmmm... Freud joined the board... that's great. Do you happen to read palms also?

Hey, you think Honda managed to keep the removable container of flammable fluids away from the red hot exhaust manifold this time?
I'm sure if Chevy could fix the problem with wheels from falling off the hub of the Aveo at highway speeds... Honda can manage with the fuel tank problem.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm sure if Chevy could fix the problem with wheels from falling off the hub of the Aveo at highway speeds... Honda can manage with the fuel tank problem.
Erm... I think I was referring to an oil filter problem... apparently you know as much about flammable fluids as Honduh does...

"OIL??? IT BURNS??? NO FREAKING WAY MAN!!!"
Old 04-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

he's refering to the honda CRV

when someone puts the oil filter on wrong it will leak onto the exhaust manifold and has a potential of starting a fire.

this is his huge "ah HAH!" on why honda is such a horrible company
Old 04-14-2005, 09:00 PM

Erm... I think I was referring to an oil filter problem... apparently you know as much about flammable fluids as Honduh does...

I think you've sufficiently proven your maturity level. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:06 PM

You're welcome.

Any time I can clue somebody else in to the apparently little known fact that oil burns I feel as if I've done a great service to humanity.

Maybe I'll give big speeches at technical conventions in Hokkaido.

"Thank you for attending my seminar. It's an honor to be here. Let me start by pointing out that... erm... OIL is combustible and folks make other combustible things out of it, like uh... gasoline... and kerosene... and diesel fuel... and acetylene... well... acetylene pretty much just explodes, but you get the point... I hope. Any questions?"
Old 04-14-2005, 09:08 PM

The Ridgeline is a wannabe truck like vehicle for suburbanites that do not know any better. Threxx is the target market on this one. If Honda can pull some slight of hand and convince people that the Ridgeline is actually rugged, they may actually pull out some decent sales. Ridgeline does not have the work capability of a real truck, which is a problem because most of the other truck buyers care about projecting an image that I think would be incompatable with that vehicle.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:09 PM

this is his huge "ah HAH!" on why honda is such a horrible company
Well actually, I thought the "ah hah" moment was really when the FREAKING SEATBELTS WERE FAILING WITHOUT WARNING on Accords and Civics and allowing people to be catapulted through their windshields (which Honda blamed on the drivers by saying they didn't keep their cars clean enough... thereby fouling the latch... shockingly enough the seatbelt switch gave no indication that the latch was not engaged, which is the WHOLE POINT OF HAVING THE DAMNED THING ON THE CAR...), but hey - if you want to use the oil filter thing, that's fine with me.

Last edited by PacerX; 04-14-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Banned

do you remember the "how to argue on the internet" article that surfaced in the lounge a few months ago?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:14 PM

Well, sh*t, by that logic, the small-block Chevy sucks while the Quad4 rules. Judging by the way I get forearm burns when I change the oil on my three GM cars, a filter gasket leak could be quite disasterous (the long-gone stock exhaust on my Impala put the left cat especially close to the filter and oil-cooler lines).

And judging by your previous posts, you come off a lot more intelligent when you're speaking factually and not talking like a racist a-hole.

I'm a GM full-size truck fan through-and-through, but frankly, the Colorado blows and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people find themselves in a Honda dealer. Then again, I'm also a Honda car fan through-and-through, but there's no way I'd buy a Ridgeline over a Tacoma. Then again, there's no way I'd buy a truck without a 8600-lb GVWR, and there's definitely no way in hell I'd pay over $30K for a "truck" that has a lighter payload and towing rating than my '91 Caprice wagon (which, last time I checked, is a car). I seriously question the intelligence of anyone plunking down that sort of dough for a mini-truck.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:15 PM

do you remember the "how to argue on the internet" article that surfaced in the lounge a few months ago?
i did a search and found nothing. can you provide a link? sounds like fun reading.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
Well, sh*t, by that logic, the small-block Chevy sucks while the Quad4 rules. Judging by the way I get forearm burns when I change the oil on my three GM cars, a filter gasket leak could be quite disasterous (the long-gone stock exhaust on my Impala put the left cat especially close to the filter and oil-cooler lines).
Your arm = non-combustible.
Oil = combustible.

Please note that the oil filter is placed UNDERNEATH the exhaust manifold on a small block Chevrolet so that another apparently little known thing called GRAVITY can help ensure that oil doesn't hit the exhaust manifold.

I call that a pretty robust design relative to burning the car to a cinder. Not too good for your arm, but you can't have everything.

If your arm gets burned when you touch a red hot exhaust manifold with it, I would suggest not touching it with your arm. Just a thought... I may be wrong ya know.

BTW - I don't think the Japanese are categorically stupid. Just Honda Powertrain and Safety System engineers. If "Japs" offends you, I'll suggest the rest of the planet stops calling Americans "Yanks". We'll see if that one goes over. I know, I know, I know... I should be the first one to give peace a chance and stuff... turn the other cheek... yadda, yadda, yadda... global economy... etc...

Last edited by PacerX; 04-14-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
i did a search and found nothing. can you provide a link? sounds like fun reading.
i can't seem to find the lounge post, but this is the website -- a good read.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2715

btw, GM has never had any sort of seatbelt failure issue ...

Old 04-14-2005, 09:37 PM

Japs don't make trucks.
Soulless appliance-type cars, yes.
Trucks, NO.
You got that right!!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:46 PM

Your arm = non-combustible.
Oil = combustible.

Please note that the oil filter is placed UNDERNEATH the exhaust manifold on a small block Chevrolet so that another apparently little known thing called GRAVITY can help ensure that oil doesn't hit the exhaust manifold.

I call that a pretty robust design relative to burning the car to a cinder. Not too good for your arm, but you can't have everything.

If your arm gets burned when you touch a hot exhaust manifold with it, I would suggest not touching it with your arm.
Perhaps you realize that the oil in a SBC filter is pressurized, as it is in, well, damn near every other vehicle. Thus, if there's a leak at the filter/block interface, or at the cooler lines, it's not all that difficult for the oil to overcome gravity.

And last time I checked, a cat located downstream of the manifold tends to be mounted below the level of the filter. Probably not an issue on my '96 K2500 where they're mounted about 6 feet behind the motor, but on a stock LT1 B-body or virtually any other GM V-8 with close-coupled cats, they end up awfully close to the filter. And while it's not common to have a mis-sealed filter on an SBC, leaks at the cooler adapter are extremely common.

Honda engineers, just like humans everywhere, aren't perfect, and it kinda annoys me when people take for granted that they are. But if there's a place to start calling the kettle black, I wouldn't be talking about potential fluid leaks if I were defending GM

Thanks for the oil-change tips, though. It's always nice when I get the opportunity to communicate with another engineer on such a high level - it really impresses everyone else.

Quick Reply: Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so