Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 03:33 PM

Re: Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

Originally Posted by Threxx
He's been belittiling Japanese trucks as a whole the entire thread, so I doubt anything was said by Pacer-X just for 'added info'.

Beyond that, the person he was giving perspective was simply saying that Nissan is on track to demolish their 100k Titan goal this year.

No car manufacturer is going to release a truely new type of vehicle (for their brand) to the market and become the #1 seller overnight.

I was just saying if you're going to compare Titan sales to something then compare it to Silverado and Sierra sales... not all GMT-800 sales.

If you want to do it that way then you should add Armada, Pathfinder, Frontier, and QX56 sales to the Titan's, as they are all based off the same basic platform too. (yes I know even with all those added it's still a fraction of GM's 1.5 million... I'm just saying it's not as drastic of a difference as it may appear.
Ok. I was just saying that durring this thread it has become obvious that you two are on different sides of this debate. Fine, however, this thread as with numerous other threads has turned into "My opinion is more intellegent than yours is." and every thing that someone says has to be pointed out to be wrong. I know it keeps the forum lively and exciting sometimes, but just let some things go.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MarineReconZ28
Ok. I was just saying that durring this thread it has become obvious that you two are on different sides of this debate. Fine, however, this thread as with numerous other threads has turned into "My opinion is more intellegent than yours is." and every thing that someone says has to be pointed out to be wrong. I know it keeps the forum lively and exciting sometimes, but just let some things go.
the vast majority of this forum is either BS info that someone cooked up or "my opinion is better than yours" kind of threads.

just part of the territory when your talking about future vehicles for a company with incredibly tight lips.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:25 AM

Compact trucks are a step up from a car/minivan. The Dakota is the only non-half ton worth a damn. If I want a truck, I'll buy a fullsize.

So from my perspective, if you're gonna half *ss it with a compact truck, it looks like the Ridgeline is the best way to do it.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:48 AM

In addition to all my stats proving that the Ridgeline was just as capable of a tower and hauler as the Colorado, and roughly equally priced option for option, I just got a Car and Driver magazine yesterday with the compact truck comparison.

5th place: Colorado I5
4th place: Dakota V8
3rd place: Tacoma V6
2nd place: Frontier V6
1st place: Ridgeline V6

Off the top of my head, I know they said they thought the Colorado was very poorly made, cheap materials, a so-so chassis, and a weak drivetrain, the Dakota they said despite it's big V8 still didn't get tops in acceleration, and felt like a complete pig, probably due to its almost 5000 pound curb weight, Tacoma got first place in accleration, very high marks for its drivetrain, towing capabilities, and its largest in class composite bed, but they hated the seating position and steering feedback, the frontier got high marks for its interior and chassis, the Ridgeline they said did an amazing job of blending carlike comfort with truck like capabilities. They said for the hardcore truck lover it wasn't the best choice, but they also said for the hardcore truck lover, none of these trucks was the best choice - they would expect them to go with a full sized half ton at least. But they said for the majority of America who just wants a daily driven vehicle that's comfortable, reliable, and capable of hauling things around from time to time, Ridgeline was the winner.

Interesting... that's almost exactly what I said.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
FWD Minivan based trucks will start a revolution????
It is a wonder we haven't seen a FWD pickup.....
Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Off the top of my head, I know they said they thought the Colorado was very poorly made, cheap materials, a so-so chassis, and a weak drivetrain
Which as we said in another thread was an interesting 180 since the initial review of the Colorado was favorable overall. Throw a new Honda in the mix and stand back, everything else is now junk. Whichever.

The RidgeRunt is the obvious choice for those loyal Honda buyers who want a bigger people-hauler and don't like the minivan stigma they'd get with an Odyssey. Because basically what you're getting is a minivan....with the look of a truck. But does that make it the best midsize truck?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Which as we said in another thread was an interesting 180 since the initial review of the Colorado was favorable overall. Throw a new Honda in the mix and stand back, everything else is now junk. Whichever.

The RidgeRunt is the obvious choice for those loyal Honda buyers who want a bigger people-hauler and don't like the minivan stigma they'd get with an Odyssey. Because basically what you're getting is a minivan....with the look of a truck. But does that make it the best midsize truck?
Again, it does have a true truck frame, but that frame is integrated with a unibody setup. So yeah, it IS a truck, and it IS a car in some ways as well.

I've seen many tests where standalone reviews do not match comparison reviews. The magazines always say that when one vehicle is put side by side with others it changes the way you perceive it. That doesn't mean the colorado is a bad truck. It just means they thought it was an nice truck before but now compared to the competition all wrapped up in one review they're still staying it's a "nice" truck, just not as nice as the others.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:17 PM

I'm sure the Ridgeline is a nice truck and more than capable for the average joe/jane. The Honda reputation for quality/reliability also helps. Having said that , I just think it is overpricd for what it is. I just can't picture myself spending 28-35k on a truck that isn't full sized or that doesn't have a nice tqy v8 under the hood.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:20 PM

Well it tows up to 5000 lbs.. much more than a Colorado(3000 lbs max!). It also has a payload capacity of 1500 lbs, about the same as a Colorado. Bed dimensions are similar, although the Colorado I think is wider (if you go past the wheelhumps)

Its about as long and as tall overall as the CrewCab Colorado.. but the Ridgeline is actually about a foot wider.

So it sounds like by pure spec, the Ridgeline is more truck than the Colorado?

Old 05-06-2005, 12:36 PM

I believe the max tow rating for the Colorado stands at 4000 pounds right now, and I'm thinking the I5 is the limiting factor there. Whether or not the Honda has a "true" truck frame is certainly up for debate. It admittedly has its roots in the Accord/Odyssey platform....FWIW.

C&D also claimed $28,000 for a full-book Colorado was not a wise choice compared to full-size offerings.....so what makes a $35,000 V6 Honda truck a better buy? As Gold Rush said, spending that kind of money and not getting a V8 truck capable of so much more makes little sense.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:03 PM

some people just don't want a full sized truck... and are willing to pay the same amount for a truck thats simply smaller.

I believe the max tow rating for the Colorado stands at 4000 pounds right now, and I'm thinking the I5 is the limiting factor there. Whether or not the Honda has a "true" truck frame is certainly up for debate. It admittedly has its roots in the Accord/Odyssey platform....FWIW.

C&D also claimed $28,000 for a full-book Colorado was not a wise choice compared to full-size offerings.....so what makes a $35,000 V6 Honda truck a better buy? As Gold Rush said, spending that kind of money and not getting a V8 truck capable of so much more makes little sense.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:33 PM

The unibody platform is derived from the Pilot which was derived from the Odyssey platform which is an extended and reinforced Accord platform.

But it does have a body on frame enclosed C-section ladder frame supporting the entire underbody, just like a real truck, as well.

The Ridgeline, as I proved much earlier in this thread, option for option, is priced almost identically to the Colorado. The only difference is that the Honda starts off almost loaded to the hilt whereas the Colorado can be bought in 2WD, 4-cyl, cloth interior, power nothing, etc, etc, config.

The relatively loaded Ridgeline on the other hand starts at a sticker of 27,700 and gets up to 34,500. The Colorado option for option follows it all the way up unto the low 30s where it drops off because it doesn't offer some extras the Honda does such as nav.

And yeah at that price range, I'd probably be buying a full size truck, too. BUT if you needed or preferred a compact truck, the Ridgeline's motor is more than enough IMO. The Tacoma's V6 in that most recent shootout actually out-accelerated the V8 Dakota quite handily, and its towing capacity was only 150 pounds less.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:04 PM

Living in the earthy-crunchy, nuts and berries, latte swilling, cell phone jabbering, politically correct capital of North America (at least it seems this way), I've already seen FOUR Ridgerunts (like that term, Pace ) on the road in the past 2 weeks. Of course, if its around here and its a Honda or a Subaru, it has to be good. What was even cooler was that one of them was parked in a driveway with 22" chrome spinners on it, which was parked next to a new ODYSSEY that also had 20" or so chrome spinners on it. No, I do not live in the ghetto. And no, I do not think the owner(s) of such vehicles are latte swilling tree huggers either...

With that being said, I hate Massachusetts. And Ridgelines. I hope I've been clear...I'm off to melt some rubber in the Z.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
What was even cooler was that one of them was parked in a driveway with 22" chrome spinners on it, which was parked next to a new ODYSSEY that also had 20" or so chrome spinners on it. No, I do not live in the ghetto
I can just picture that hideous looking honduh with 22" spinning wheels. I think I'll buy one and put hydros and 13" gold Dayton wires on it.
I hope that thing fails big time.