Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:37 PM

Thumbs down Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsume...x.cfm?id=19285

I wonder, if this were a Ford or Chevy badged vehicle, would it get higher than 2 stars? Their insinuation that this "truck" will start a revolution in how we build and buy pickups is laughable. The cheap plastics on the interior that Scott mentioned in his 3 part thread on press bias were (surprise!) not mentioned in this review. The lack of a V8 for such a large and heavy truck was also briefly mentioned but did not hurt the Ridgeline's rating....odd, because the yuppy Leinert couple's review of the Chevy Colorado BLASTED it for not having an available V8 and its overall rating suffered because of it.

5 star vehicle because of trick "cubby holes". Memo to GM: Make the GMT-900s soft, V6 only and have lots of places where mommy can store her purse. Seems to be the way to build a "truck of the year" candidate these days.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Re: Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

Take the Ridgeline, remove the "H" on the grille, put a Bowtie there, and it'd be ridiculed to no end....

Take the Colorado, remove the Bowtie, and insert the "H", and it'd be the new segment busting mid-size truck of the decade...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:50 PM

I saw one today for the first time, in black...

Thing is more forgettable in real life than in pictures.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:55 PM

FWD Minivan based trucks will start a revolution????

Ridgeline is very unimpressive and doesn't have the utility or power of an Avalanche.

It doesn't even have best fuel milage for a crew cab, that award goes to the Colorado.

Go sit in a new Tacoma then a Ridgeline, you will laugh your *** off at Honda. The trunk is a good idea on paper, but doesn't seem as practicle for everyday use like a car truck. Nissan made a great first try, and they still arn't meeting their sales goals, the Honda will flop, there are just too many other good trucks out there and the GMT900's are one the way.

p.s. what ever happened to the baby Avalanche that was to be built????
Old 04-14-2005, 01:15 PM

Anyone surprised? When was the last time a Honda product had recieved bad press coverage?? I don't even remember one.

I don't see it as world-class or that impressive a truck myself, but do see it as a decent truck. It'll handle light-duty, it has those neat storage compartments in the bed, and "Above all, it's a Honda" .
Old 04-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Anyone surprised? When was the last time a Honda product had recieved bad press coverage?? I don't even remember one.

I don't see it as world-class or that impressive a truck myself, but do see it as a decent truck. It'll handle light-duty, it has those neat storage compartments in the bed, and "Above all, it's a Honda" .
not that i like the ridgeline, but just to play devil's advocate here ...

when was the last time a honda product was released that should have had bad press coverage?

Last edited by anasazi; 04-14-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by anasazi
not that i like the ridgeline, but just to play devil's advocate here ...

when was the last time a honda product was released that should have had bad press coverage such as this?
2001 Civic and the 6 or so recalls it had is one. CRV fires and Honda blaming it on techs instead of a faulty design definetly didn't get the coverage it deserved.

But Honda in general has a good track record with safety, reliability, and quality, and the media definitly has a positive outlook on Honda products in general. Same with Toyota's, and the media turns the other way when they see faults with them. You'll almost never see them get called out.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
2001 Civic and the 6 or so recalls it had is one. CRV fires and Honda blaming it on techs instead of a faulty design definetly didn't get the coverage it deserved.

But Honda in general has a good track record with safety, reliability, and quality, and the media definitly has a positive outlook on Honda products in general. Same with Toyota's, and the media turns the other way when they see faults with them. You'll almost never see them get called out.
the 2001 civic recalls didn't happen until mid-year.

and the CRV issue most likely wouldn't have been well known just a few months after the release.

just like this ridgeline might have issues that won't be well known until later in the year...

just playing devil's advocate here
Old 04-14-2005, 01:56 PM

Drop a load of bricks on that "trunk" the first time and its all over. This isn't any kind of "truck" in the real sense of the word. This is a pseudo-truck for the bi-costal yuppie set, not any sort of real work vehicle.

That would be obvious to anybody except of course bi-costal media types, LOL.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:00 PM

I swear people can't drive anymore. ABS, Tractio Control, and Stability control. For Christ's sake, I drove a body on frame, no ABS, open diferential, rear drive car in crappy weathere for years. NO VANITY MIRROR. It's a f***ing truck.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:13 PM

Thumbs down Re: Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so

It's made by honda isn't it, well then it must be world class! I guess I better run down to the dealer and get me one, cuz jo blow the yuppie idiot reporter says so! Wouldn't want to miss out on the freakin' revolution. Funny, first thing I thought of when I saw the ads was, wow a baby Avalanche! What a friggin' ripoff. Here's an idea for ya GM, get rid of the silly Bowties(NOT) and start puttin' an H in the grille... You'll never get a bad review. Its to the point where you know what a review of a given vehicle will be before you even read it. Simple made by GM=bad review, made by a foriegn company=good review... see its simple no need to read anymore car/truck reviews. If you like what you see in an ad, go to the dealer and see for yourself. Don't trust these slimeballz to tell you what to buy.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I swear people can't drive anymore. ABS, Tractio Control, and Stability control. For Christ's sake, I drove a body on frame, no ABS, open diferential, rear drive car in crappy weathere for years. NO VANITY MIRROR. It's a f***ing truck.
No s***! I drove a drum brake Camaro around for years including winters. No accidents... ever! Always managed to get it going.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:56 PM

I saw a silver one in my mom's neighborhood the other night while I was out riding....totally hideous!!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Banned

isn't this "truck" front wheel drive with a weak limited AWD?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:17 PM

If you think its a media darling now wait until they bring out a hybrid version. It will be all about why can't the other truck makers create such environmentally responsible trucks....

Of course those articles are only written by people that have never used a truck in the real sense anway.

Quick Reply: Is the Honda Ridgeline a world class truck? The Detroit News thinks so