Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GT-R lap times exposed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AdioSS
I thought the fact that they used cut down tires had already been reported?
"Cut down"?

They used high-end race tires.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
I think it's a bit of a rush to judgment (probably because people want it to be true) to assume that anyone lied just because Porsche didn't get the lap times Nissan claimed...I think it at least worth questioning exactly how Porsche's "tested" the GT-R.

I also wonder; why a U.S. spec car? I don't recall that Nissan said the car they ran was a U.S. spec did they?

When it comes to the tires used...if Nissan used and R compound tire is that against the rules? I don't know...do you?

Which begs the question of what are the "rules" about running the 'ring anyway??? As far as I know, there aren't any at least none that must be followed.

If Nissan did in fact lie then they deserve whatever blow-back comes from it but I can tell you this, the GT-R is one awesome vehicle as I had the chance to experience on the track first hand over the Labor Day weekend.
The car nissan used was a japanese spec car so there could definately be some difference there. If that is the case though Nissan should be honest about the differences between performance of the two versions. I agree that the GTR is awesome, just maybe not as awesome as they made it out to be.

Well, assuming that's what happened; if there are no "rules" governing such attempts; then anybody else could use whatever tire compound they wanted as well couldn't they?

If so...how is that unfair?

It might well be an important piece of information to have when making a comparison but I'm not sure it's unfair.

I know that when I take my vehicle to a track day or an autocross, I'm usually running something other that street tires but some people do use their stock/street tires...am I being unfair or am I just using the best equipment available to me?
If they intended to advertise the fact that they beat Porsche at the ring then they should have made sure they were testing under the same conditions. They at least should have brought a 911 along and tested under the same conditions they were using to verify if the GTR was indeed faster. Maybe Nissan did this and I would be surprised if they didn't test some version of the 911 since it was their benchmark. We will just have to wait and see if this pans out. A lot of people have been doubting the validity of the claims since they came out, I have a feeling porsche is fairly confident that the claims are fudged in some way if they are making a public statement like this.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Mr. Nashville I was wondering when you would arrive to defend Nissan's honor.

The fact is Porsche has come out to question the GTR and Nissan and they seem to have the same concerns that many have had with the car and its Ring times. Like I said earlier this would be a non-issue if Nissan hadn't used their runs for advertising and posted them on their site. But they did and it opened the door to scrutiny from the press and other companies as we see now.
There seems to be an apple to oranges comparison and what Nissan should have done is let people know they are using the orange. That seems to be all Porsche is trying to show.

Maybe they should have put a disclaimer on the Ring film to the tone of closed course, professional driver, race spec tires, and we (Nissan) reserve the right to start and stop the timer where we see fit regardless of the start/finish line.... oh and don't try this at home or with a GTR or we'll void your warranty.
-Something to that effect and I don't think anyone would have had a problem.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Well, assuming that's what happened; if there are no "rules" governing such attempts; then anybody else could use whatever tire compound they wanted as well couldn't they?

It might well be an important piece of information to have when making a comparison but I'm not sure it's unfair.

I know that when I take my vehicle to a track day or an autocross, I'm usually running something other that street tires but some people do use their stock/street tires...am I being unfair or am I just using the best equipment available to me?
It's unfair because Nissan is attempting to pass off the GT-R's performance as overwhelmingly superior to its competitors, which is clearly not the case when production-spec cars are used.

If a fair comparison is to be made, the playing field must be level. Either the GT-R has to be tested with production-spec tires, or its competitors should use the same or equivalent tires that the GT-R used during its 7:29 run. Porsche chose to do the former.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 PM

well if thats how you think it should be played, why doesnt porsche double the boost on the turbo, bore and stroke it, new heads, straight open race exhaust, remove all interior, basically get race spec everything, Race wheels with slicks. Thats just using the best equipment available to them whats wrong with that under your belief? If porsche did a 6 min flat lap, and then advertised it as the time a stock 911 turbo would run i assure you people would flip... I know its hard to believe your precious nissan motor company lied to you, but what i described with the porsche guys is basically what nissan did, just less so. I know you nissan guys would go ape**** if porsche did all of this stuff to a boxter and claimed that "their new boxter is quicker around the ring than the GT-R!!1!!!11!11!!". Silly right? Remember they were just using what was available to them, "why are people saying the boxter isnt faster, and we lied"

Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 PM

maybe I have gone insane, but I think there was more to that lap than just some tires... 25 seconds is no joke and Porsche has a right to be miffed- the 911 is, simply put, the benchmark vehicle to hit. Nissan claims to be selling a car that is faster around the ring than the Porsche. 25 seconds isn't Porsche not using the gas pedal- it is a descrepancy worthy of "false advertising" if true. Nissan put that time up there and said it was faster than a 911 and many production vehicle tests versus the 911 show it's either really close or that the gtr is slower. End. Of. Story.

How does nissan admit to this folly? By listing every time, every detail, and every figure about that car and it's lap as a "pre-production vehicle". If it was what they say it was, why not put it in writing? They can't cause then they could get sued!

And the whole Japanese spec vs us spec crap can stop now. The differences of the 80s and 90s have been gone for years...

Nissan doesn't care either cause the hype& hysteria>the flak they will take for these stunts.

Last edited by Geoff Chadwick; 10-01-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by detltu
The car nissan used was a japanese spec car so there could definately be some difference there. If that is the case though Nissan should be honest about the differences between performance of the two versions. I agree that the GTR is awesome, just maybe not as awesome as they made it out to be.

Couldn't be the Japanese spec car because it's speed limited at around 110 mph (180 km/h). That's why Porsche went to the trouble to source a US spec car.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Mr. Nashville I was wondering when you would arrive to defend Nissan's honor...
It’s amazing how not rushing to conclusions based on hearsay and accusations is “defending” Nissan’s honor.

I guess you didn’t read this did you?
...If Nissan did in fact lie then they deserve whatever blow-back comes from it...
I don’t know what Nissan did or didn’t do at the ‘ring and neither do you and neither does Porsche…until we do know, all this garbage is just Asian nameplate bashing for bashing’s sake.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Couldn't be the Japanese spec car because it's speed limited at around 110 mph (180 km/h). That's why Porsche went to the trouble to source a US spec car.
It would take a Nissan tech about 3 seconds, if that, to take the limiter off however I think it's a moot point anyway because at the time of the 'ring testing, I don't believe there were any U.S. spec cars in existance; at least not production models.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
maybe I have gone insane, but I think there was more to that lap than just some tires... 25 seconds is no joke and Porsche has a right to be miffed- the 911 is, simply put, the benchmark vehicle to hit. Nissan claims to be selling a car that is faster around the ring than the Porsche. 25 seconds isn't Porsche not using the gas pedal- it is a descrepancy worthy of "false advertising" if true. Nissan put that time up there and said it was faster than a 911 and many production vehicle tests versus the 911 show it's either really close or that the gtr is slower. End. Of. Story.

How does nissan admit to this folly? By listing every time, every detail, and every figure about that car and it's lap as a "pre-production vehicle". If it was what they say it was, why not put it in writing? They can't cause then they could get sued!

And the whole Japanese spec vs us spec crap can stop now. The differences of the 80s and 90s have been gone for years...

Nissan doesn't care either cause the hype& hysteria>the flak they will take for these stunts.
I was thinking the same thing earlier today but as I thought about it more, I realized that my autocross times will improve from 1.5 to 2 seconds on a single run when using R compound tires rather than street tires and that's on an obviously small course...the 'ring is somethng like 11 miles isn't it? If so, I don't think a 25 second improvement would be that difficult between street tires and something at or close to an R compound.

Edit: I don’t know if my experience/comparison is in any way realistic or appropriate…I’ve never driven the ‘ring on either street or racing tires! Perhaps someone who regularly does track events and has a better basis for comparison will elaborate.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 10-01-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM

I absolutely will not accept a “magazine” as a source for anything on this board any more as every time I’ve ever quoted a magazine as a source for anything; I’ve been beaten up unmercifully for being so “stupid” as to think a magazine can ever get anything right!

However, as I said above, if Nissan lied or withheld the truth, they deserve what they get for doing so.
I don't accept magazine times either... but the laws of physics - you can take those to the bank.

Watch the youtube vid of the GT-R and ZR1 running the long straight on the ring and try to figure out how a car with 150 less hp and 500lbs more weight can stay even on a straight line pull.

I think the GT-R is a great car... but it's claimed ring time doesn't pass the 'common sense' test. I don't know if Porsche is lowballing its time... but it's a helluva lot closer to a reasonable time given the specifications of the car than Nissan's time.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 PM

It would take a Nissan tech about 3 seconds, if that, to take the limiter off however I think it's a moot point anyway because at the time of the 'ring testing, I don't believe there were any U.S. spec cars in existance; at least not production models.
Yes but the only trouble was that Porsche were conducting the 'real world' test using Nissan's showroom car and the Nissan tech comment is most definitely a moot point.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:59 PM

plus you can disengage the limiter at known racetracks when the GPS-NAV detects that the car is at one.

Also it was probably easier for them to buy a US spec car. And since Porsche is more interested in the US market than the Japanese market, everything starts to come together.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
The rumor was that it was a Japanese spec car. As Nashville pointed out its easy to bypass the speed limiter.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 AM

Wow Robert, you obviously cannot see how bad you're embarassing youself. You have convinced no one that Nissan-corporate aren't cheats and liars.

Quick Reply: GT-R lap times exposed?