Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GT-R lap times exposed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Surprise, surprise.....
Wasn't the Z06's time ~7:42? which means -- ta-da! It's still quicker than "Godzilla"!!.....
I wouldn't take Porsches 7' 54 time to the bank but I think the point is it isn't as quick as they are making it out to be. It's probably capable of a little better than the 7'54. Porsche is very confident that it isn't capable of 7'29 in stock form. I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan could squeeze another 10 seconds out of it (which would still make it slower than the Z06).
Old 09-30-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Surprise, surprise.....
Wasn't the Z06's time ~7:42? which means -- ta-da! It's still quicker than "Godzilla"!!.....
7:42 from a standing start on it's crappy factory tires and older stiffer suspension.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Wow, I love this kind of public, bare-knuckle 'competition' between manufacturers. No need to be nice when Nissan is cheating and lying.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3
Physics > GT-R
Old 10-01-2008, 01:30 AM

Nice
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by detltu
I wouldn't take Porsches 7' 54 time to the bank but I think the point is it isn't as quick as they are making it out to be. It's probably capable of a little better than the 7'54. Porsche is very confident that it isn't capable of 7'29 in stock form. I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan could squeeze another 10 seconds out of it (which would still make it slower than the Z06).
That was my line of thought, as well. They might not have driven it as well as they could have, but still...

Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
7:42 from a standing start on it's crappy factory tires and older stiffer suspension.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

Wow…all this vitriol against the GT-R and praise for the 911 Turbo, GT-2 and Z06; one would think the GR-R is the Anti-Christ based on the hatred.

What’s amusing is that all this comes mostly from folks who likely will never buy a current example of any of the vehicles mentioned above!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
Wow…all this vitriol against the GT-R and praise for the 911 Turbo, GT-2 and Z06; one would think the GR-R is the Anti-Christ based on the hatred.

What’s amusing is that all this comes mostly from folks who likely will never buy a current example of any of the vehicles mentioned above!
The "hatred" is because this type of blatant lying undermines the incredible achievements of performance cars like the Z06 and Porsche 911. This cannot be allowed to happen or it could lead to the credibility of all manufacturers claims being questioned. It can also wrongly tarnish the reputation of a manufacturer, which is likely Porsche's concern in this case.

Didn't their momma ever tell them, "liers go to hell!".
Old 10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZZtop
The "hatred" is because this type of blatant lying undermines the incredible achievements of performance cars like the Z06 and Porsche 911. This cannot be allowed to happen or it could lead to the credibility of all manufacturers claims being questioned. It can also wrongly tarnish the reputation of a manufacturer, which is likely Porsche's concern in this case.

Didn't their momma ever tell them, "liers go to hell!".
I think it's a bit of a rush to judgment (probably because people want it to be true) to assume that anyone lied just because Porsche didn't get the lap times Nissan claimed...I think it at least worth questioning exactly how Porsche's "tested" the GT-R.

I also wonder; why a U.S. spec car? I don't recall that Nissan said the car they ran was a U.S. spec did they?

When it comes to the tires used...if Nissan used and R compound tire is that against the rules? I don't know...do you?

Which begs the question of what are the "rules" about running the 'ring anyway??? As far as I know, there aren't any at least none that must be followed.

If Nissan did in fact lie then they deserve whatever blow-back comes from it but I can tell you this, the GT-R is one awesome vehicle as I had the chance to experience on the track first hand over the Labor Day weekend.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM

When it comes to the tires used...if Nissan used and R compound tire is that against the rules? I don't know...do you?

Which begs the question of what are the "rules" about running the 'ring anyway??? As far as I know, there aren't any at least none that must be followed.
If Nissan used an R-compound tire during their 7:29 lap, it's not really a fair comparison to the cars they claimed to beat, which used regular production-spec street tires. It's basically comparing apples to oranges.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM

I think it's a bit of a rush to judgment (probably because people want it to be true) to assume that anyone lied just because Porsche didn't get the lap times Nissan claimed...I think it at least worth questioning exactly how Porsche's "tested" the GT-R.

I also wonder; why a U.S. spec car? I don't recall that Nissan said the car they ran was a U.S. spec did they?

If Nissan did in fact lie then they deserve whatever blow-back comes from it but I can tell you this, the GT-R is one awesome vehicle as I had the chance to experience on the track first hand over the Labor Day weekend.
You are correct that there are no "rules". But their are common practices. One of which is using production stock tires, unless you specifically state otherwise. If Nissan used R compound tires, that would have been fine, as long as they stated it, which of course they did not.

It is a better assumption that Nissan lied based on Porsche's results than it is to assume the GTR could run those times. I mean come on, open your eyes. The same driver, on the same day, ran a 7:54 in the GTR and 7:30's in the two Porsche's. You might have a bit of an argument if the GTR was a Viper ACR or something else that takes lots of seat time to perfect, but the AWD, automatic, GTR, is FAR from that. After all, that is one of the beauties of the car. 25 seconds is an ETERNITY.

You do know Nissan has lied about track times in the past and been publicly humiliated for it right??? Anyone have the magazine article scan that was floating around a while back....
Old 10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skorpion317
If Nissan used an R-compound tire during their 7:29 lap, it's not really a fair comparison to the cars they claimed to beat, which used regular production-spec street tires. It's basically comparing apples to oranges.
Well, assuming that's what happened; if there are no "rules" governing such attempts; then anybody else could use whatever tire compound they wanted as well couldn't they?

If so...how is that unfair?

It might well be an important piece of information to have when making a comparison but I'm not sure it's unfair.

I know that when I take my vehicle to a track day or an autocross, I'm usually running something other that street tires but some people do use their stock/street tires...am I being unfair or am I just using the best equipment available to me?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZZtop
...You do know Nissan has lied about track times in the past and been publicly humiliated for it right??? Anyone have the magazine article scan that was floating around a while back....
I absolutely will not accept a “magazine” as a source for anything on this board any more as every time I’ve ever quoted a magazine as a source for anything; I’ve been beaten up unmercifully for being so “stupid” as to think a magazine can ever get anything right!

However, as I said above, if Nissan lied or withheld the truth, they deserve what they get for doing so.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Who cares about the GTR anymore? The ZR1 Vette and ACR Viper both beat it anyway
Old 10-01-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by z28 justin
Who cares about the GTR anymore? The ZR1 Vette and ACR Viper both beat it anyway
And the Z06 Vette....

Quick Reply: GT-R lap times exposed?