Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

G8 GXP. $39,995, including $1700 gas guzzler tax.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by LeadSled1
When I drove a lot of the G8 GTs here they were $29,995 including sunroof. The GXP with sunroof and manual trans is $41,590. The Camaro with the same motor and transmission is around $32,000.

Not comparing with the M5, I'm comparing it with something that has a lot of the same parts.
That $32k camaro you speak of doesn't even have leather seats. It's hardly fair to compare the 'stripped' camaro to the most loaded G8.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by robvas
I'll save the money and modify a regular GT myself.
While it's true the L76 responds very well to mods, with a modded car you risk losing warranty and resale value, so it's not always a clear financial winner versus buying the faster factory car.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:53 PM

I'd rather have the factory hot rod GXP, rather than void the warranty on a regular G8. And I think the price is fair considering other cars in its class are comparably priced, like the SRT Chargers and 300s.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Seems like an awfully expensive car to own... especially for a Pontiac.
What about for a Holden?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

especially for a Pontiac.
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Originally Posted by Plague
You need to see more cars
He said cars that he's been in, not cars that he's seen.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jakerobb
he said cars that he's been in, not cars that he's seen.
i r reading failure!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Why are people comparing a 2 door sports coupe to a 4 door sports/lux sedan? Sure the Camaro will be cheaper. It will also be lighter, louder, and rougher riding.

Most people that will buy the G8 won't cross shop it with a 2 door coupe.

Not everyone cares purely about speed, some people want the utility of having 4 doors and rear seats that are easily accessible (child safety seats anyone).

The GXP will be a limited edition high content vehicle above and beyond the G8 GT. It will be more impressive visually, handle better, and have more toys. GM can price it higher because it is worth it. They are allowed to make a profit on models aren't they.

Sh*t sometimes I get so annoyed by cheap @ss car enthusiasts who want everything in the world for $10,000 and yet don't understand why GM can't make a profit.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
What the heck is that supposed to mean?
Did you see what happened to VW when they released the 70k dollar Phaeton? Well let's just say the Phaeton isn't sold anymore despite the fact that by any measure it was a heck of a bargain for anyone that was considering an Audi A8 or even a Bentley Continental GT for that matter.

Now a Pontiac that costs over 40 grand isn't nearly as big of a jump as VW's Phaeton was to their prior brand's price span, but there's just certain prices you don't generally expect to see from certain brands, and 40k+ is a bit of a psychological barrier for people walking into a Pontiac dealer and walking up to a sedan.

I think Chevy could have a difficult time selling a 40k+ dollar sedan as well and at least the Chevy brand already has quite a few cars and trucks selling well past that price mark.

You may point to the Genesis and to an extent you'd be right... however I think one thing that helps the Genesis is that they've made that car with much bigger targets in mind and it shows... you take the badge off that car and stick it next to cars costing 50-100% more... even drive it side by side and you'd never realize it didn't belong with that group. Go put the G8 GXP next to an M5 and drive them and the differences will be numerous and significant. Does that mean the M5 is the better value? No way. But it does at least make it harder to make the case for "yeah it's 41.5 grand but it's 90% of an M5 for half price"... because it's not 90% of an M5. It may be 90% of an M5's performance and the same size as the M5... but other than that they are completely different driving experiences.

Last edited by Threxx; 12-18-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 PM

you take the badge off that car and stick it next to cars costing 50-100% more... even drive it side by side and you'd never realize it didn't belong with that group. Go put the G8 GXP next to an M5 and drive them and the differences will be numerous and significant. Does that mean the M5 is the better value? No way. But it does at least make it harder to make the case for "yeah it's 41.5 grand but it's 90% of an M5 for half price"... because it's not 90% of an M5. It may be 90% of an M5's performance and the same size as the M5... but other than that they are completely different driving experiences.
Have you had the opportunity to drive a G8 yet? If not, take one out for a spin. It's quite an impressive piece for its class or any class for that matter.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 PM

I did.
It can’t even compare (not even close) to my car (BMW 650), with is slower and less nimble than M5. Even my XJR would give it run for the $$$
For this price I wouldn't even considering purchasing GXP. I know that 335i is smaller car, but a lot of customers with cross shopping between those two, and the re-sale value alone will swing me to BMW side + no cost maintenance warranty and unbeatable chassis. I am sorry GM, but you wont get my $$$ this time.

S.
ps. Its great car, but just not for $40K.

Originally Posted by transam8
Have you had the opportunity to drive a G8 yet? If not, take one out for a spin. It's quite an impressive piece for its class or any class for that matter.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by scyzoryk
I did.
It can’t even compare (not even close) to my car (BMW 650), with is slower and less nimble than M5. Even my XJR would give it run for the $$$
For this price I wouldn't even considering purchasing GXP. I know that 335i is smaller car, but a lot of customers with cross shopping between those two, and the re-sale value alone will swing me to BMW side + no cost maintenance warranty and unbeatable chassis. I am sorry GM, but you wont get my $$$ this time.

S.
ps. Its great car, but just not for $40K.
I'm assuming you drove a GT? While I haven't compared it to an M5 or 335i or 650 for that matter...I did have the opportunity to compare it (GT) with a 04 330ci and an 07 Z4 M coupe and felt that it can more than hold its own for the dollars. I'm not saying that it's a better car...but do feel that it's at least very close imo and one of the General's best overall offerings in a long time. The gap has closed significantly again in my opinion. It should be interesting to get behind the wheel of a GXP and see what it really does when they come out.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 PM

You are right...Its good car, but not for $40k from Pontiac.
S.
Originally Posted by transam8
I'm assuming you drove a GT? While I haven't compared it to an M5 or 335i or 650 for that matter...I did have the opportunity to compare it (GT) with a 04 330ci and an 07 Z4 M coupe and felt that it can more than hold its own for the dollars. I'm not saying that it's a better car...but do feel that it's at least very close imo and one of the General's best overall offerings in a long time. The gap has closed significantly again in my opinion. It should be interesting to get behind the wheel of a GXP and see what it really does when they come out.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 PM

Next car fo sho.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Banned

I cross shopped the G8 GT, Acura TL Type-S and Infiniti M35 Sport. Now there was about a $10k spread in the vehicles (MSRP), but they're all of similar size. Hell, I had a deposit sitting on the GT for months before I pulled my money out after test driving it.

Yeah, it was quick and big. And yes, it was definitely the best interior I had ever seen in a Pontiac. But it wasn't close to the Acura or the Infiniti. It was just a few ticks faster than both.

However, I was still looking at about $31k for the GT out the door, about $38k for the Infiniti and about $33.5k for the Acura. Now I may have very well gone for the GT had it more features. No XM and no SatNav at the time. What gets me now, is that even for $40k, the GXP is still lacking features. I challenge anyone to find another performance sedan for $40k that doesn't at least have SatNav as an option. If you're talking $40k for a car, it had better have some options available for it. It takes more than a big motor in an average sedan for me to pony up that kind of cash. And don't even get me started on the residual value issue.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:30 AM

Did you see what happened to VW when they released the 70k dollar Phaeton? Well let's just say the Phaeton isn't sold anymore despite the fact that by any measure it was a heck of a bargain for anyone that was considering an Audi A8 or even a Bentley Continental GT for that matter.

Now a Pontiac that costs over 40 grand isn't nearly as big of a jump as VW's Phaeton was to their prior brand's price span, but there's just certain prices you don't generally expect to see from certain brands, and 40k+ is a bit of a psychological barrier for people walking into a Pontiac dealer and walking up to a sedan.

I think Chevy could have a difficult time selling a 40k+ dollar sedan as well and at least the Chevy brand already has quite a few cars and trucks selling well past that price mark.

You may point to the Genesis and to an extent you'd be right... however I think one thing that helps the Genesis is that they've made that car with much bigger targets in mind and it shows... you take the badge off that car and stick it next to cars costing 50-100% more... even drive it side by side and you'd never realize it didn't belong with that group. Go put the G8 GXP next to an M5 and drive them and the differences will be numerous and significant. Does that mean the M5 is the better value? No way. But it does at least make it harder to make the case for "yeah it's 41.5 grand but it's 90% of an M5 for half price"... because it's not 90% of an M5. It may be 90% of an M5's performance and the same size as the M5... but other than that they are completely different driving experiences.

The G8 GXP is a halo car, so it's silly to compare it with the Genesis V8 model from a volume standpoint. I don't think they expect to sell more than a couple of thousand. A well equipped SRT8 model can cost more, and I don't think the Dodge or Chrysler names have any more panache than the Pontiac name does.

Remember that this is a Holden with the same bits that the other G8s have. It's a great way for GM to cheaply offer a car here in a market segment they weren't previously covering.

Quick Reply: G8 GXP. $39,995, including $1700 gas guzzler tax.