Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

G8 GXP. $39,995, including $1700 gas guzzler tax.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Well if the actual retail pricing varies so much then it is impossible to compare prices at all.
You can thank Chrysler and GM for this.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:57 PM

Given the future state of Pontiac....

Shouldn't this be re-badged and brought to the US as a Buick Grand National???
Old 12-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by muckz
Just curious, does it have a limited slip differential? Or equal half-shafts? I think that Neon SRT-4 had equal half-shafts to reduce torque steer.

No doubt it accelerates VERY well, I actually liked the TL for quite a while, not crazy about the current one, but I'm sure it's a really nice car. I am just pointing out there is always a difference between a V8 and a V6, no matter how powerful the V6 is. The low-end torque of the V8 is only approached by a turbo 6.
Limited slip.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jason E
Shouldn't this be re-badged and brought to the US as a Buick Grand National???
I'd be all for the G8 line being brought back as a Regal, but the Grand National submodel needs a turbo V6. I've been waiting for GM to build a turbo version of the 3.6 DI anyway.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I'd be all for the G8 line being brought back as a Regal, but the Grand National submodel needs a turbo V6. I've been waiting for GM to build a turbo version of the 3.6 DI anyway.
A 3.6 DI turbo would be intriguing. Ford's doing it with the Taurus (almost that exact type of motor).

This also brings up potential useage beyond family cars and crossovers. Ford is almost certain to use a EB V6 in the new Mustang (twin turbos and all). A turbo 3.6 in the Camaro has the potential of displacing the LS3, while getting better fuel economy.

The LS engines no longer get the great fuel economy they used to... the larger displacements and high horsepower took away that great fuel economy.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by guionM
The LS engines no longer get the great fuel economy they used to... the larger displacements and high horsepower took away that great fuel economy.
Um, I think that increasing vehicle weights and new EPA test procedures (which lowered the numbers without lowering the actual economy) did it.

The '08 Corvette's fuel economy numbers of 16/26 are very nearly the same as those in the '04 Corvette (17/26, adjusted for current test procedures). The simple fact that the TR6060 transmission in the '08 has different gear ratios than the T56 in the '04 could be blamed for that 1mpg difference in the city.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I know you that you have a lot of information about the auto industry but you are such a clear LS engine hater is getting absurd Guy. You talk about the Hemi being amazing when it really does get horrid gas mileage and then you poo poo on the LS series? Unreal man......
Old 12-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by grossesexy
You talk about the Hemi being amazing when it really does get horrid gas mileage and then you poo poo on the LS series?
Well, let's be fair. In similar applications, the new Hemi (Hemi2, as Guy calls it) gets more or less the same fuel economy as the latest LS engines.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Well, let's be fair. In similar applications, the new Hemi (Hemi2, as Guy calls it) gets more or less the same fuel economy as the latest LS engines.
It's just funny to me that Guy throws in a shot at the LS series of engines whenever possible yet can't hesitate to gush about the new hemi.

Congrats, GM made their cars several hundred pounds heavier and still have comparable gas mileage to the hemi equipped dodge cars. It's not much of a triumph for dodge as it is sad for GM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by grossesexy
It's just funny to me that Guy throws in a shot at the LS series of engines whenever possible yet can't hesitate to gush about the new hemi.

Congrats, GM made their cars several hundred pounds heavier and still have comparable gas mileage to the hemi equipped dodge cars. It's not much of a triumph for dodge as it is sad for GM.
Which cars are you talking about?

The best direct comparison I'm aware of is the G8 vs Charger R/T. The Charger weighs about 100 pounds more than the G8, probably due to the iron block of the hemi. The Charger gets 1mpg more on the EPA city and highway than the G8. But the G8 does not have VVT, while the Charger does. That helps the Charger get a little more power too.

I actually think that 16/25 on a 4100 pound car with 368hp is quite a triumph for Chrysler.
15/24 for a 4000 pound car with 361hp is also quite respectable, and better than many other V8 sedans.

Last edited by teal98; 12-27-2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: 390hp in truck version; 368 in Charger R/T
Old 12-28-2008, 03:50 AM

The G8 GXP is the car I hoped GM would produce!

As for the $40k price tag, folks seem to forget the Bonneville GXP listed at the same price, and was no where near the same car in 2004!

I opted for my Chrysler 300 SRT8 based on the performance and comfort level, but I pulled the trigger when I did because I got an incredible deal on it. If it wern't for the deal, I might have waited for the GXP. The only problem with that in early 2007 was the G8 was in development and the GXP was only a thought vice a plan.

The GXP is an incredible VALUE in performance. Look around; you have to spend a ton more to come close to the performance anywhere (except perhaps the SRT line-up).

Allen