Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

First Five Silverado SS Pilot vehicles being built today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 01:14 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
My question is, who are the perspective buyers? It's a half-a$$ed attempt at a performance truck so I doubt it will steal Lightning/SRT-10 sales. Basically, a Silverado with a bit more powerful engine and a body kit. Which will cost more than the other Silverados which people buy for more conventional reasons. Follow me? It's basically too little for the performance truck crowd and too much for everyone else.

Darth, I agree that performance pickups are an oxymoron. I am not very interested in them, but that isn't the point. If Chevy is going to get into the sport-truck segment, it should COMPETE!

</font>
They sell a crapload of teh S-10 Extreme and it really has no performance upgrades at all

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!

Standing tall for V6 F-body owners everywhere!
Old 06-20-2002, 01:19 PM

My question is, who are the perspective buyers?

</font>

Hey, don't ask me. I am not into this "performance truck" thing at all.

Trucks make good work vehicles, tow vehicles and parts chasers...why anyone would think a fast 3 ton truck is fun to drive is beyond me.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:20 PM

Cool

My question is, who are the perspective buyers? It's a half-a$$ed attempt at a performance truck so I doubt it will steal Lightning/SRT-10 sales. Basically, a Silverado with a bit more powerful engine and a body kit. Which will cost more than the other Silverados which people buy for more conventional reasons. Follow me? It's basically too little for the performance truck crowd and too much for everyone else.

Darth, I agree that performance pickups are an oxymoron. I am not very interested in them, but that isn't the point. If Chevy is going to get into the sport-truck segment, it should COMPETE!

</font>
I don't know about where you live, but over here in Texas EVERYONE is putting 20 inch rims on their truck, dropping it, and adding body kits. If done tastefully, it looks bad@ss. These guys don't race their trucks either. Harley F-150s sell like hotcakes and are all over town, while I always see 3-4 Lightnings sitting at the SVT Ford dealership. Majority of truck buyers don't compare quarter mile times, but do compare looks and usefulness. I think thats why its gonna have an extended cab. Oh yeah, I am really considering getting one.

[This message has been edited by alex94z (edited June 20, 2002).]
Old 06-20-2002, 02:30 PM

Maybe it has a Ram Air kit like the Extended Cab concept in "Sport Truck" magazine.

------------------
"THE F_O_G HAS RISEN, AND WITH IT BEGINS THE DAWN OF A NEW ERA."

1967-2002, Thanks for 35 years of prestige and performance...... We look forward to the FUTURE.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:57 PM

The extreme doesn't have competition like the ranger, it has a solid market where the younger kids buy those pickups and keep it for the looks, the SS is supposed to beat the L in performance, that is the reason it gets the "SS" moniker, if it was design it should have been the Silverado RS. I/'m from Texas and all we see are trcusk, everyday I see at least two L's on the street and they look good, If only Chevy came out with BOTH a Single cab config with a HD tranny and a pumped engine to take on the L and an ext. cab for the people that need AWD and 20's (BTW 20-s ads even more weight to the body kit and the AWD system, so i'm sure performance is not the goal here....
Old 06-20-2002, 05:45 PM

Talking

At the Chicago auto show they had a black stepside reg cab with understated flames stuffed with a 502 GMPP crate engine (A John Moss creation perhaps?) . I remember saying to myself that this would kick some serious L___ and SRT @ss. GM, give us something to win with, we know you can.

------------------
Lew
Old 06-20-2002, 07:48 PM

Does anyone know for sure that the SS will have the 345 HP version of the 6.0L, or is everyone just assuming?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:39 PM

...it's for sure.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:56 PM

Red face

Hey Did anyone see that Dodge ( i hate to say that word!) on I think Car and Driver? It had a Viper V10 in it and was a regular cab with 5 or 6 on the floor! It also had I think 22 or 23 inch rims. I hate to say it but that truck was Bad ****! I think that it was just a prototype but they said something similar would probably come from it, But I still won't buy a dodge! I just traded in my 2001 reg cab, pewter Z71 with the 5.3 for my SS. I always wanted one, but I think I'll buy a truck again when I can afford both!! If anyone knows what I'm talking about, mabey they can give more insight about the Dodge I saw. Later

------------------
2000 SS
White w/black
cloth, M6, SLP
Air Box Lid,
!CAGS, MORE TO
COME!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:39 PM

White2000SS...the Ram you saw is the SRT/10, shown on the auto circuit last year, and it IS going into production with the Viper's 500 HP V10.

The Xtreme S10 is a good point. The Xtreme S10 was also a John Moss creation that in concept form had a nice small block in it. In production form it boasts the whopping 2.2 which pushes it down the 1/4 in about 18 seconds. Do you sense a re-occuring theme here? One of my biggest complaints the last few years is the fact that Moss and Co. have come up with some awesome stuff that is dumbed down to the point where you can't take anything seriously anymore. Funny you don't see Ford or even Dodge "dumbing down" their concepts....

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:44 PM

I'd honestly say that Lightning is the only truck I'd consider driving. It's extremely fast for an automatic anything (let alone a truck), and it looks great inside & out.

But I value handling as much as acceleration, so I never got one. But though I considered Lightning, Silverado SS just doesn't seem interesting.

Now, if Chevrolet came out with a modern LS1 powered, 6 speed ElCamino, that would be a very very different story.