Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

First Five Silverado SS Pilot vehicles being built today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 08:42 PM

The Silverado "SS" is an extended cab, 4 wheel drive pickup with 20" wheels & special bumpers? Not exactly down my line, but still 345 horsepower in a pickup is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

We all knew for some time that this truck wasn't going to compete with Lightning or the Ram PVO, so it is somewhat amusing that some thought GM was trying to pull some sneeky business by creating a deception that this truck would be a surprize.

Just the same, I still view it as another pimping of the SS name. At the risk of of being repetitious, the "new" Impala SS & now this Silverado SS should help settle that dumb SS vs Z28 debate as to what name is more special and has more meaning to Camaro. :P
Old 06-19-2002, 08:48 PM
Prominent Member

Question

So the Lightning is a 400hp rear wheel drive.......with obvious traction concerns........and we get a 345 hp ALL wheel drive with concievably NO traction problems.....and winter drivability.....hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Old 06-19-2002, 08:49 PM

Red face

I guess I'll never understand the appeal of a performace pickup truck...

I would think slapping the hollowed SS moniker on a pickup would be considered as blasphemous to some as the new Imapala SS apparently is...

Remember the 1994-96 (or so) S-10 SS..??? That was a beast
Old 06-19-2002, 08:53 PM
Prominent Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Xed:
I guess I'll never understand the appeal of a performace pickup truck...

I would think slapping the hollowed SS moniker on a pickup would be considered as blasphemous to some as the new Imapala SS apparently is...

Remember the 1994-96 (or so) S-10 SS..??? That was a beast
</font>
All the more reason to give us back a REAL Z/28!!!! (remember those threads!! LOL)

Old 06-19-2002, 08:58 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doug Harden, Pres CICC:
All the more reason to give us back a REAL Z/28!!!! (remember those threads!! LOL)

</font>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;AMEN!!!!!&lt;& lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt ;

Old 06-19-2002, 09:17 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by guionM:

We all knew for some time that this truck wasn't going to compete with Lightning or the Ram PVO
</font>
...Which brings me to my question: What exactly is the point in producing this thing? If it doesn't undercut the Lightning by at least a few grand, it won't sell at all because everyone knows there's something on the market that does what it's supposed to do--better, for similar money. In fact, how much do you wanna bet that this thing will sticker for more than an L?

"But look, it's an extended cab, it's more useful!"

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:53 PM

I think it will sell just fine.

I find it hard to believe that prospective buyers will reject it because it's not the fastest truck on earth.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:18 PM

Talked to some people...

It will be the same engine in the Escalade...different exahust and gearing though. Also keep in mind that the engine is underrated like most GM engines. Sadly I doubt it is under rated 50-60 HP

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!

Standing tall for V6 F-body owners everywhere!
Old 06-20-2002, 12:46 AM

Make it 400hp, AWD, with a T56 and you'd see a lot of attention shift from the Lightning.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:52 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:

"But look, it's an extended cab, it's more useful!"

</font>
The supercharged 360 hp Harley F-150 has 4 full size doors and the 20" wheels .

------------------
Derek 95 Trans Am convertible
K&N fipk , CSI h20 pump , hooker lt's , mufflex 4" , LT1edit , ET streets , 373's , !A/C , !smog
Best Et 12.771@106.89
Best 60ft. 1.820
MTI/GTP stage 3 LT4 heads , cc306 , hyra-rev , 1.6's , r lifters , full manual 700r4 , ST3500 verter , roll bar and more all in the garage waiting for install .
Old 06-20-2002, 07:31 AM

The concept from the 99 SEMA show i think it was, had a 480hp and 495tq output from a stroked 6.6 ltr engine, couldn't they adapt something like that, and this is supposed to be the first official product from the stupid Special products team, if this is what crap they are producing then i'm sorry but they will not compete with the chevy's maybe the Cadillac's (CTS with the LS6 and the TT Escalade but nothing else so far) but it looks like GM has truned it's back on chevy. JOn Moss gave so many hints taht the concept would be almost the same thing as the production model but alas. The reason i am so mad is that it is the 10th year anniv. for the 454SS that was a legend in it's own. I would have thought they would have brought it back for this since the old L and 454 used to duke it out back in the days.. anyways underrated or not it doesnt impress..... GM it's time to shape up for goodness sake i don't want to have to get that Cavalier "ss" and loose to a crappy SVT FOCYS
Old 06-20-2002, 07:43 AM

Question

Can I ask this seriously, and get your guys' honest responses? (This is not a flame... I just don't get it)

If you want a high-performance vehicle.... Why would you want it to be one that weighs over two tons, has the aerodynamics of a brick, is HUGE yet won't fit a bunch of your friends comfortably, and it's pickup bed is virtually useless for what it was designed for in the first place(hauling stuff!) ????

[This message has been edited by Darth Xed (edited June 20, 2002).]
Old 06-20-2002, 07:59 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Xed:
If you want a high-performance vehicle.... Why would you want it to be one that weighs over two tons, has the aerodynamics of a brick, is HUGE yet won't fit a bunch of your friends comfortably, and it's pickup bed is virtually useless for what it was designed for in the first place(hauling stuff!) </font>
Well I think one of the things that make the lightning so attractive is that it can haul the same as a regular F150 in the bed. Plus if you wanna pull your race car to the track no problem.. All that plus it handles well and has awesome power..

------------------
1997 Viper GTS
1996 Cobra Superchaged
1995 SVT Lightning
1995 Saleen S351R
1989 Mustang GT
1987 Mustang Coupe
1986 Mustang SVO
1986 Mustang Coupe
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/atl/m/e/mechafin/
Old 06-20-2002, 08:09 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mchafin:
Originally posted by Darth Xed:
If you want a high-performance vehicle.... Why would you want it to be one that weighs over two tons, has the aerodynamics of a brick, is HUGE yet won't fit a bunch of your friends comfortably, and it's pickup bed is virtually useless for what it was designed for in the first place(hauling stuff!) </font>
Well I think one of the things that make the lightning so attractive is that it can haul the same as a regular F150 in the bed. Plus if you wanna pull your race car to the track no problem.. All that plus it handles well and has awesome power..

OK, well that is one thing I did not know about the Lightning... that it can handle the same payload as a regular F150. Well, that helps a bit, but I still think a Pickup would fall short in a 'performance vehicle' setting...

Honestly, I've never driven a Lightning, so I am not speaking from experience here... just trying to get people thoughts on the whole concept.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:10 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z284ever:
I think it will sell just fine.

I find it hard to believe that prospective buyers will reject it because it's not the fastest truck on earth.
</font>
My question is, who are the perspective buyers? It's a half-a$$ed attempt at a performance truck so I doubt it will steal Lightning/SRT-10 sales. Basically, a Silverado with a bit more powerful engine and a body kit. Which will cost more than the other Silverados which people buy for more conventional reasons. Follow me? It's basically too little for the performance truck crowd and too much for everyone else.

Darth, I agree that performance pickups are an oxymoron. I am not very interested in them, but that isn't the point. If Chevy is going to get into the sport-truck segment, it should COMPETE!

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.

Quick Reply: First Five Silverado SS Pilot vehicles being built today!