Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Message from Red Planet

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 09:54 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Post Message from Red Planet

Good afternoon, all,

While I have been off the board for a while, I went on last evening to “check the pulse” and was surprised to see what some had to say about my absence.

Apparently some feel that I was on the board only to sell new Camaros – and that once we scheduled the last car, I disappeared.

Nothing can be further from the truth.

I will always be passionate about Camaro and Firebird –regardless of what the future holds. This has been more than just a job for me – it has been a lifelong passion – and those that know me can attest to that fact. I am a “Camaro Junkie.”

So, no, that is NOT the reason I have not posted on this site in a while.

I believe in CamaroZ28.com and I support it as much as possible. I talk about it to the media – I put it in our retail training information to let the salespeople in our dealerships know that there are some very enthusiastic people out there that need to find a good salesperson……..I put CamaroZ28 in our Camaro Legends Tour video…..and I send “Camaro Stuff” out to Jason and Chris for editorial content on the site. I try to meet with Jason once a month or so for dinner –just to talk shop…..he and Chris do a great job with this site. However, there are a LOT of Fbody sites out there….and quite frankly, I have a very full schedule at GM. Furthermore, I travel just about every weekend to an Fbody event…..on my own time …..because I believe that it is important to support our enthusiasts…..moreover, there is no better way to get feedback than talking to enthusiasts ‘one-on-one’ or in small groups. (sorry, but the internet is NOT a great way to get feedback…in my humble opinion, there is a delayed ‘give and take’ – additionally, it is too easy to be misunderstood. And finally, I want to know who it is that is giving me feedback….who they are, what they drive, what they do, etc……..and that is simply not possible on the internet. don’t believe me? Look at some profiles some time….you know who I am, but I haven’t a clue as to who you are….or what your level of expertise is….)

I have not disappeared and have no intentions of doing so…but I only have so much time in a day…and I cannot post all the time. And I do try to get to most of the sites....

Many do not like what I post….perhaps it is because I will not give them a glimpse into the future. --- and I am not going to because I will not put my job in jeopardy. Or perhaps it is because I do not agree with their point of view…..or perhaps it seems that I give way too many excuses as to the ‘whys’ and ‘why nots’ of GM and the other U.S. Manufacturers.

The automobile business is NOT an easy business. Government mandates have complicated this business. Additionally, consumerism, while having its good points also taxes our abilities at times. On top of this, the United States has opened its doors to the world…anyone that wants to build and export cars and trucks to the United States can do so….tariff-free. It is difficult to compete with countries that pay a small fraction for labor….and don’t get me wrong…I have no problems for the most part with the UAW…..the money they are paid is spent in the local economies of where the membership lives and works – and that is a good thing for the U.S. Economy in my opinion.

One of my goals when posting is to educate. For example, my expertise is in automobiles. It is NOT in computers and software. I personally have problems with Windows Millenium – and while there are features that I do not like, I am certainly not going to tell Bill Gates – or those of you who are software guys how to fix Windows Millenium…because it is not my area of expertise.

So….

With all that said, I am still out there – lurking – reading, nodding my head sometimes, shaking it more often than nodding it….. I may sometimes struggle with the urge to strike back when getting flamed...however, it would be unprofessional of me – and further, I believe that much of the anger and frustration that I read is because you genuinely love the Camaro and Firebird….and you are furious that GM apparently walked away from the market…never to return. (Don’t jump to conclusions on that last one………….)

And lastly, do I believe that GM is a great company? You betcha! I have been approached by three different manufacturers to go to work for them…for more money….but I won’t do it. I truly believe in the future at GM. (and there is more to life than just money…..) Do I believe GM does everything right? Hell no! Never has, never will …nor will any other company…that’s just the way things work.

I believe two very important events took place in the recent past that will impact the future very brightly – One…Ron Zarella left. Two, Bob Lutz came back. Mr. Lutz has allowed many creative people to do what they love to do….design, build, manufacture, and market great cars--- but remember, you cannot turn this thing around over night. Moreover, one person cannot change the entire company…it will take thousands of talented people working countless hours to undo some of the damage done by ‘outsiders’ that were not car guys and gals.

OK – ‘nuff said.

Who’s coming to Huntington Beach, CA this weekend – or Keystone Camaros in Pittsburgh next weekend – or SLP day in Columbus the following weekend????
Old 06-12-2002, 11:13 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome back, Red Planet. You're always welcome here. Thanks for the kind words. I'll be the first to admit that I get mad at GM easily these days because my childhood dream car (the Camaro) was killed off. FWD ugly V6 Impala SS?? Of course, you've given me hope that it won't be for good and that there will be a turnaround at GM. Thank you for that. Keep doing what you do. It is very appreciated.

------------------
'95 Camaro Z28 A4
Oynx Black, 3.23 gears, T-tops, RKSport CA-300 ground effects, 17X9.5" polished 2000 C5 wheels on P275/40R17 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A rubber, Flowmaster 80 Series exhaust with chrome rolled edge quad tips, aftermarket two-tone leather seats (got the original cloth ones recovered), "diamond clear" clear corners, blackouts on taillights, chrome CAMARO letters on rear and "chrome" painted Z28 logos (looks like shiny silver) and vents on the hood, 97+ Camaro console, interior changed from Light Gray to Dark Gray.
My Camaro webpage

First, check Brent's Appearance Guide then check
SuperDave's supplement Appearance Mods pics for more 4th gen F-Body pics.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:15 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And lastly, do I believe that GM is a great company? You betcha! I have been approached by three different manufacturers to go to work for them…for more money….but I won’t do it. I truly believe in the future at GM. (and there is more to life than just money…..) Do I believe GM does everything right? Hell no! Never has, never will …nor will any other company…that’s just the way things work.</font>
As long as a performance car enthusiast like RP is working for GM, has an idea of its future, and is making comments like this, I will believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:47 PM

RedPlanet... I would like to say thank you for instilling in me the confidence I need to be passionate to GM. Yes it is true that GM has sort of turned their back on the enthusiasts I understand why, I have too many solutions to their problem... and it includes the Corvette and a simple platform.. but forget about that. All I want to say is that you are doing a great job and no matter how much you get flamed, I GOT YOUR BACK *flame suit on for the posers* so anyone that wants to mess with RP, has to get through me..

[This message has been edited by ced8 (edited June 12, 2002).]
Old 06-12-2002, 03:34 PM

RP, all I can say is that you are not alone, You're never alone.

Kyle
Old 06-12-2002, 04:37 PM

RP, your Camaro (f-body) faithful are still behind you all the way.

We will not be swayed like the posers who jump ship. Some people need to attain knowledge and patience before jumping to conclusions.

See you in Bowling Green...

-Rich

------------------
2002 Camaro SS
35th Anniversary Coupe
Hurst, CAGS eliminator, SLP Air lid w/ K&N, Hotchkis STB
317 RWHP 329 RWTQ
1987 Monte Carlo SS 355
13.81 @ 100mph
268 RWHP 342 RWTQ
Old 06-12-2002, 06:54 PM

Hmm... Of the Huntington Beach event wasn't on Sunday, and not Saturday I'd be there. This Saturday is move out day here at school, so I won't get home until 5pm or so. I'll keep my eyes out for the next So Cal event though.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:25 PM

Question

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by INTENSS:
RP, your Camaro (f-body) faithful are still behind you all the way.

We will not be swayed like the posers who jump ship. Some people need to attain knowledge and patience before jumping to conclusions.

See you in Bowling Green...

-Rich

</font>
What knowledge & patience exactly are you speaking of?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:38 PM

Knowledge of the industry as a whole, how things get done in it, hierarchy, what consumers want, etc....

Patience meaning waiting a little while for what you want to come out. Sometimes you just have to wait for things. Whether you like it or not, our market niche doesn't make alot of money for the manufactuers right now - family cars/SUV's do.

I dont know if that pertains to you exactly...but it does to the majority of people who rant and rave on here. We all get pissed, however some of us need to learn restraint when faced with lack of knowledge and patience.

Just my $.02

-Rich
Old 06-12-2002, 09:47 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by INTENSS:
Knowledge of the industry as a whole, how things get done in it, hierarchy, what consumers want, etc....

Patience meaning waiting a little while for what you want to come out. Sometimes you just have to wait for things. Whether you like it or not, our market niche doesn't make alot of money for the manufactuers right now - family cars/SUV's do.

I dont know if that pertains to you exactly...but it does to the majority of people who rant and rave on here. We all get pissed, however some of us need to learn restraint when faced with lack of knowledge and patience.

Just my $.02

-Rich
</font>
Hey Rich,

That would be great advice if we were trying to nurture children or grow tomato plants.

Old 06-13-2002, 12:13 AM

Hey...whatever works, ya know?

-Rich
Old 06-13-2002, 02:37 AM

For the love of god upgrade to Windows 2000! Burn your ME CD and then **** on the ashes, that steaming pile of ****.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:03 AM

Thumbs up

Hey RED PLANET im only new to this board and I'm aussie , what do you think of the Holden , great news isnt it????? being the GTO and all...
Old 06-13-2002, 06:34 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chuck!:
For the love of god upgrade to Windows 2000! Burn your ME CD and then **** on the ashes, that steaming pile of ****.</font>
I have been trying to help him with this...damn old Celeron computers..I think thats his problem
Old 06-13-2002, 01:23 PM

Seriously get rid of ME, it sucks.

As the song goes by Mr Jon Bon Jovi "Keep the faith" and that is what we have to do.

Thanks for everything you do.

Tom

Quick Reply: Message from Red Planet