Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

This could be a problem for the new Tahoe Persuit Package...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Are we talking about the Persuit Tahoe here or all SUVs?

I haven't done any surveying personally, but i have been involved with many aspects of construction and know what they do. With the exception of the off-road ability, which the Persuit Tahoe would be basically worthless at since it's 2WD, a minivan or full/mid size van would probably be just fine. Although surveyors undoubtedly need a 4WD vehicle for some jobs, I see many jobs where they are simply expanding existing roads and others where their vehicles never even leave the pavement. Regardless, I was simply using the surveyors as an example and don't think that they should be banned from having SUV's, just the Persuit Tahoe.

As for diagreeing on who exactly needs them, I would much rather see patrol officers and other LE officials have them than surv..., ahem, I mean bean counters and the like.
The Persuit Tahoe has a relatively small target consumer base IMO, and the off-road ability of it doesn't seem to be a primary function of it. It is aimed at police and LE and that's about it. The proposed legislation seemingly wouldn't have any effect on it's sales because the people who actually need it will buy it and those who don't won't. If the bill keeps the Persuit Tahoe out of the hands of a couple organizations that don't require it then fine.

Last edited by 95 Z/28 LT1; 06-16-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:29 AM

They could use the HUMMER!!

Only reason I say that is a news story I saw this morning. This man caught some guys stealing his car and chased them down in his HUMMER!! Well....he caught them and the picture they showed on the news today from the end of the chase had the Hummer ON TOP OF the car!! The two crooks were severely injured and sent to the hospital.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:11 PM

Well that's California for you. Obviously the same nut jobs that want to repeal the smog exemption for vehicles 30-years old and earlier. These politicians are living in the dark ages when it comes to automotive technology and have no freakin' clue as to the positives ethusiasts bring to the table. I'm sure they've never even heard of GM's new "Displacement on Demand" technology.

Let's see, Friday I drove from the Bay Area to Chico (north end of the state). On the way home yesterday, I finally had to put some fuel in about halfway home. Damn Tahoe LS is such a gas guzzler!

BTW - Smoked a few imports in the process... people seem to pull over when you're bearing down on them at 95 mph+ in a big red Tahoe.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:13 PM

"We're trying to send the message that fuel-efficent cars are cool and sexy."
Old 06-16-2003, 05:16 PM

The bill is to decrease the amount of state workers driving around in state-paid luxury SUVs. This is not something to make the forest service drive around in Cavaliers.

The issue is with people who have a state paid vehicle for transportation purposes only and are buying Excursions and whatnot.

But yeah, you know CA with their backwards hippie rules.