New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

New girl with new car and new problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:13 PM

New girl with new car and new problems

Hi, import girl here, now with some american muscle!

I bought a Camaro after I sold my 04 infiniti G35 6mt wich had a leaking head gasket. ( I couldn't afford to fix it)

Well with the money, I bought a 95 z28 camaro automatic from its original owner for 4 grand.
the shop where the owner (female ) had all the maintenance and repairs done on it for the last 10 yrs facilitated the sale for her. The owner of the shop who's name is Jeff, (but we started to called hefe as you will soon see why )assured me I was getting a quality vehicle and the owner was very meticulous and took good care of the car. Hefe also boasted that the car has a remanufactured engine from Jasper engine company that was installed June 2013 that was still within its 3yr warranty. Oh and he just replaced the water pump....
As soon as I got there and they brought the car out... from a cold start the fans were on... I was asking him about it and Hefe simply said " I dunno, they are computer controlled. They have been like that for awhile. .."
wtf?, He said "it's definitely not a fault in the cooling system, probably just a wiring flaw. She just came back from a long trip to Tahoe in it no problem a few weeks ago..
"
Umm... ok Hefe , are you the mechanic, or the janitor ? Whatever.. so he gave me the key and said go ahead and drive it, its insured..
and me and my bf (who is an auto tech) beat the **** out of it and played with it to try and get it to overheat or get the fans to go off. The car ran good. So I bought it. Figured it was a relay or something. Drove the car to work, when I got off, I drove it home, and as soon as I pulled up to my house, it overheated and several minutes later after I had already turned it off, a bunch of coolant started running out of the bottom. Fml.... (but it's totally not a cooling system problem. remember. .. Jeff said so himself. ..)
had it towed to the shop (wich was a hassle) put it up on the rack and found a radiator line to be leaking slowly and ... the new water pump as well... (good job hefe...)
there is also oil coming from the drain plug and to top it off, the mechanic thinks the engine is not running in all 8 cylinders....
once again... fml
oh and it needs brakes and rotors and the struts are leaking. oh and it appears to have a fairly recent radiator.
Waiting for the shop the do the work and test the car, and then compression test the engine and let me kno.
I'm a little disappointed, not in the 20yr old chevy (which btw is emmaculant inside and out otherwise ) but more so in Jeff , or now known as hefe who has outstanding yelp reviews for his business and long term clients and seems to be the most upstanding of citizens .... what the hell happened then in this situation?
I'm gonna call hefe just to let him know that he's slippin and I feel kinda cheated here even tho this was a private seller no warrenty kinda thing... I'm not expecting anything, but just want him to hear this...
anyway, I also joined camaro forums 2 days ago after I bought it and posted just introducing myself and then explained the issues and asked if anyone has had any experience with Jasper engines. And no replies at all. But tons of views, so... Def not feeling the love lol....
I will probably get more answers for the maro from the old G forum I was on. Lol...
so maybe I will try here, has anyone else had any experience with Jasper remanufactured engines? They seem to have mixed reviews online, alot of complaints about engines going out and them replacing them again in 40k miles. .. I really hope that's not the case for Me.
And btw I still plan on getting another 6mt G or maybe a 370z in the near future ... but for now I got the chevy because it's cheaper to fix and still fun to drive.
Thanks for hearing me out guys , and info. .. it's much appreciated.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Re: New girl with new car and new problems

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

Always good to see another LT1 on the site... I like to think that's our strong point.

You have a wide array of problems, and the best thing to do is break your post down into manageable packages. Then we post them in the appropriate "tech" forums, since you aren't likely to get as much help on "New Member Intro" as you will in the tech forums.

By the way.... the cooling fans run at startup if there are certain trouble codes set in the PCM. Have you scanned the PCM for codes? Or maybe someone has hard wired the fans to run all the time - not a good idea. Normally, the fans come on at low speed at 226*F and move to high speed at 235*F.

With regard to the overheating, did the "low coolant" light on the dash come on?

The suggested breakdown would be:

Engine specific questions/issues in "LT1 Based Engine Tech"

Suspension and brake questions/issues in "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes".

As interesting as the colorful story is, the more brief and concise you can make your descriptions and questions, the more people are going to be willing to read it and try and help out.

Good luck, and I'lll check back to see how you are doing with the various problems.

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-02-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:39 PM

Thanks

Sometimes I get carried away with my stories.

i posted the fans and overheating issue in (hopefully) the right forum.

There were no lights on in the dash at all. I wonder if there is a cleared code stored in it. Im not sure if they have scanned it, probably not.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:05 AM

Not sure about California but i live in Florida and my friend bought a car from the dealership used with no warranty and her engine failed, turns out there is a law called "the lemon law" which in Florida even if a car is sold as is you are protected 14 days by the lemon law. The dealership ended up giving her a new car with a real warranty after she threatened them, she said it applies to private sellers to in Florida.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:24 AM

I'm from the bay area as well and yes we have the same "lemon law" if she comes back on here I could help her out or point her in the right direction and save her money.

Let me know.....