Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The Big One GMAC Gone

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Banned

Re: The Big One GMAC Gone

We were up 52% last year. This year our focus shifted somewhat from building volume to increasing profit. Replaced used car mgr and sold off $400,000 of water in inventory without taking a loss.(rather than taking aged to auction, I marked them down to what we had in them and paid spiff which was offset by back end profit) Replaced parts mgr and got rid of $100K obscolence. Terminated both service writers for poor CSI. First replacement starts Mon. Added techs. Looking at Body Shop next. We're up roughly 10% new units so far. Profit and CSI soaring way above last year. Our focus will move toward volume again second half, been conserving marketing dollars for a big push. Forecast year end at 25% increase. Suski is happy, gave me nice bonus.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:29 PM

Good for you and your owner!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Buickman
By now, I know who's who here and will gladly share the info with those who offer constructive criticism, agreeing or disagreeing. The antagonists can take a hike.
Too bad the whole plan wouldn't take a hike. While I think it's a nice try, I don't think it has anything to do with 5th gens or even future vehicles. And it's not even automotive news. Maybe it would be accepted in the lounge. Can we get a mod on that? Maybe I'll start a poll. What do you guys think?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

Not auto news? Watch your TV the next few weeks and see. Don't forget, you've only seen the first twenty steps, there's more. These are just the quick fixes to give us time and arrest share decline. It will take more to bring the desired increases. I've sold over 13,000 retail autos, might just have a clue. And I'm doing it with the products so many feel need improving.

Last edited by Buickman; 06-09-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:36 PM

Just because something is on TV doesn't make it news. You're a good Buick salesman in a buick city, there is no doubting that. But you refuse to see the whole picture,and you refuse to see that you are not qualified to go to the top of a company and tell the boss that you know more than he does.

Last edited by MarineReconZ28; 06-09-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Banned

Where are you getting your info? I never claimed to know anywhere near what Wags does about running a muli-national. However, I guarantee I know more about selling cars. Also, I don't claim to want to run GM. I just am sure it's time to change pitchers, he's getting bombed. We could approach Tom LaSorda, or Dieter, possibly Carlos, but who would give up Paris for Detroit. There are others within GM, but I will refrain from naming them so as to not jeopardize their position with the boss. One possibility though would be Lutz, he's always wanted the pole position, give him a chance. Anybody but Wags, he's had his chance and FAILED.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:51 AM

Well the way I see it he didn't start this game with the bases empty and no score. He came into the game with a few runners on and he gave up a few runs. It's not the end of the world and the game isn't over yet. Let him settle down and when he gets out of the jam, we can see if his offense can come in and score a few runs.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:54 AM

All of these threads are getting ridiculous.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:18 AM

I've sold over 13,000 retail autos, might just have a clue. And I'm doing it with the products so many feel need improving.

Ah, here is a salesman at his finest. Pure spin.

First let me ask you a question. You say you are "doing it with the products so many feel need improving.", but are you increasing total sales volume or just taking sales from your competitiors? If you are just taking sales from competitors (which I'm willing to bet you are), then how does that refute the claim that the product lineup needs to be addressed? It doesn't.

Second, if you do feel that you can sell more units using the current lineup and the product is not the problem, then how is this Wagoner's fault? He's given you a product you yourself claim is adequate, the dealers just can't sell them. So then maybe the problem is not with Wagoner but with the dealership sales force. Of course maybe this is what you are after. Maybe you want a nice big, fat high $ consultant's job teaching the sales force the "Buickman's way".
Old 06-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Banned

Dealer sales and service is a tremendous area for growth for all manufacturers. It's true that many of my sales come at the expense of other GM dealers, however a fair amount take away from non-GM brands as well. I've never tracked it to say for sure the percentages. As to a "fat" consultancy, it will never happen after the call for Wags to resign. My intention is to help GM increase market share and convince them to stop interfering with the sales environment using their whiz bang gimmicks that make it very difficult for dealers to operate in a logical fashion. Not knowing what or when they are going to announce as the next big thing, proper ordering of inventory, and many other sound business practices, become a nightmare. I'll not be sharing The Plan with any other producer, it's not in my DNA.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Privateer454
Ah, here is a salesman at his finest. Pure spin.

First let me ask you a question. You say you are "doing it with the products so many feel need improving.", but are you increasing total sales volume or just taking sales from your competitiors? If you are just taking sales from competitors (which I'm willing to bet you are), then how does that refute the claim that the product lineup needs to be addressed? It doesn't.

Second, if you do feel that you can sell more units using the current lineup and the product is not the problem, then how is this Wagoner's fault? He's given you a product you yourself claim is adequate, the dealers just can't sell them. So then maybe the problem is not with Wagoner but with the dealership sales force. Of course maybe this is what you are after. Maybe you want a nice big, fat high $ consultant's job teaching the sales force the "Buickman's way".

A lot of good perspective there!

Buickman...... if you can sell so many units....... then others should be able to as well.

When you've had so much success, it's hard to bite the hand that feeds you and come out looking good.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:30 AM

Send this crap to the Lounge.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:01 AM

I've seen Buickman make some good suggestions on how to improve a dealership's level of service. What I have not seen is suggestions on how to get non GM customers to consider a GM car.

People seem to associate "GM" with "rental car." Why?

Maybe its due to:
1. Poor interior materials and construction. Have you seen the interiors of the average GM car? The average Hyundai driver would be embarrassed to sit in my Camaro.
2. Poor exterior finish (why the hell did the new black STS I saw last week have so much orange peel? )
3. Lack of perceived sophistication of their powertrains (I rented a Kia two weeks ago. It had a DOHC V6 with a five speed auto.)

On top of this, you have inertia to overcome. You've seen all the positive JD Power quality survey results GM has garnered in the past several years. Despite this, the average customer believes GM has poor quality. Why? The above three points consipire to create an atmosphere of cheapness when looking at, sitting and driving a GM car. The perception problem: if something looks and feels cheap, it surely can't be any good.

The only way to fight this perception problem is through improved product.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ed 2001 SS
1. Poor interior materials and construction. Have you seen the interiors of the average GM car? The average Hyundai driver would be embarrassed to

The only way to fight this perception problem is through improved product.

Interiors, Interiors, Interiors....

I can't stress it enough.

This is GM's biggest problem, IMO... they show some signs of turning the corner here. GTO is awesome, though GMNA had nothing to do with it... but LaCrosse, STS, and some others show promise.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with most of the layouts in a GM car... it's just the choice of materials they used. I screams CHEAP! when you touch or tap on just about any piece in out 04 Grand Prix... the sound of cheap, hard, hollaw, thin plastic on the dash is not something most people would equate with quality....
Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Disciple

Side bet?
The whole GMAC enchilada to an unrelated 3rd party, announced within 30 days? You're on.

I loose, I buy you dinner at Winnipeg's finest restaurant when you come to visit our beautiful province. You loose, you buy at the Excalibur in Southfield when I pass through.

Last edited by poSSum; 06-10-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: The Big One GMAC Gone