Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

500hp GTO picutres

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:31 PM

Re: 500hp GTO picutres

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby

I stand (sit) corrected (again). I just learned something. You're welcome.
Funny thing is, I switched to Fenders in the late 90's. Like the Corvette, nothing else feels like a Stratocaster.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:53 PM

Good tuners start having problems with FI motors around 600rwhp. You are forgetting that lSx motors also have a MAP. Any decent tuner will stay keep a stock MAF or the LS6/ 6L truck MAF. The problem isnt the MAF its the ability of the stock PCM to regester the value given to it by the sensor. You can put whatever sensor you want on the car it wont read past a certain value. Problems have been with injector size limitations but GM PCMs can now use up to 70 lb/hr injectors. The limitation of the GM PCM seems to be around that 600 rwhp mark with the correct set up. After that you can force the PCM into closed loop but then it cant adjust. This is why Im going with a Accel GEN 7 DFI. with the pigy back harness so my ALDL connector still reads and I can pass a plug in emissions test as well as keep my stock guages.

Last edited by Evil Turbo SS; 08-18-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 PM

This thread (if you skip over PacerX and Bob Cosby's posts) seems to indicate that the look of this concept is right - although just a touch over the top. It's more like what a modern GTO ought to be IMHO. So much for the gotta-be-like-a-BMW theory!

This is Pontiac the way we know and love it!!!

But, will it ever see the light of a dealer showroom?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:48 PM

Jesus, take it to PM!

Rice? Yeah...all that rice in them..ahh...500hp engine..

I love how this GTO is rice, yet that Mustang GT-R....pure American Muscle?
I see how that goes. Just wanted to make sure that I had my "rice" down.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:04 PM

Just a very quick comment on this maf thing (sorry to derail the thread again), but did you guys ever think it could be running maf-less. Any Aussie tuner worth his salt can tune a maf ls1 car to maf-less, it will make more power and the maf is no longer a restriction
Old 08-18-2004, 10:12 PM

Every day I must slip further away from the majority's opinion on what looks good.

That thing looks completely horrible to me. It's hideous Are there enough high schoolers out there with that much income to make such a car successful?
Old 08-18-2004, 10:45 PM

The 5th gen section just turned into the lounge.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 PM

A car shouldn't need tons of throw-on stuff to make it look good. This car has so much tack-on additions it makes a person wonder how dull the original must have looked. Although I would agree that, in order for the GTO to be exciting, it might help to have an after-market hood, hoodscoops, new wheels, a drastic body kit with wheel bulges, ground effects, tail-lamp blackouts, a spoiler, side vents, front bumper vents, fog-lights, a huge front air dam and a bright orange paint-job that screams "LOOK AT ME!".
I like the new GTO concept quite a lot. It has the attitude of a WS6, and more... yet it also has a modern, ergonomic interior. I like how it has touches from the 99 concept GTO, but not too many. Even if they toned this latest concept down some for production, it would turn a lot of heads and sell well IMHO.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:31 PM

Quite a lot better...........still doesn't make me want one.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:11 AM

I like that car. It is far more distinctive that the one on sale currently. Like it or not, it has a "presence" that the production car sorely lacks.

Chrysler took a huge risk with their 300 and Magnum. No doubt they had their detractors during development / clinics etc, but more people obviously liked them than disliked them. If you try to cater to everyone, you are left with a car that looks exactly like today's production car. Offensive to nobody, Inspiring to nobody. I think the concept has a degree of inspiration thats missing from Pontiac these days. Sure you'll turn off a few people who refuse to accept anything new or different, but far more will be turned "on" by it.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by crYnOid
Just a very quick comment on this maf thing (sorry to derail the thread again), but did you guys ever think it could be running maf-less. Any Aussie tuner worth his salt can tune a maf ls1 car to maf-less, it will make more power and the maf is no longer a restriction
Aussie's aren't the only folks doing that

Besides, it is not running MAFless, there are clearly 2 MAFS downstream of the "air boxes"
Old 08-19-2004, 08:51 AM

*drool*
Old 08-19-2004, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ed 2001 SS
I like that car. It is far more distinctive that the one on sale currently. Like it or not, it has a "presence" that the production car sorely lacks.

Chrysler took a huge risk with their 300 and Magnum.
It's all just a matter of opinion and that's all we are giving is our opinions.

While I don't find the 300 or Magnum all that attractive, they do have "presence". I wouldn't necessarily call them ugly. In fact I think they have an air of classiness to them.

This GTO seems outright gaudy to me. It would sure have presence, but the wrong kind of presence.

A Civic with a 5 foot rear wing and an 8" exhaust tip has presence, but I wouldn't call it stylish or attractive. Clean lines, maybe some subtle flares, and creases in all the right spots get the point across better than adding bulges and holes all over the car. I think they did a great job with the C6 in this department. It's clean, functional, and looks great.

My yardstick has always been "will that look good years from now?" The 3rd gen Camaros have an almost timeless look, many of the Corvettes do, the late great ImpalaSS did. These are the cars I think look good without looking overdone. I like that

If that's what sells, then that's what they gotta do. I just don't find it pleasing to the eye at all.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:07 PM

That GTO looks soooo much better than the regular ones! It does remind me of an '03 Cobra though

TONY
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Buttercup
My yardstick has always been "will that look good years from now?" The 3rd gen Camaros have an almost timeless look, many of the Corvettes do, the late great ImpalaSS did. These are the cars I think look good without looking overdone. I like that
Thats the whole problem with discussions of this type. All we can offer are our opinions. I love my 3rd Gen Camaro. I've had it for 12 years. A substantial number of people have told me that it is too square, boxy and old looking. Somtimes I wonder if they are talking about the same car I am.

Ultimately the car maker just has to go with a gut feeling and roll with it.

Quick Reply: 500hp GTO picutres