Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

$1MM of Mustangs Burned in Railcar Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by SMUJeremy
Osorio said there was $500,000 in damages to the rail car and $500,000 in damage to the Mustangs. He said the cars were probably heading to an auto dealer in Los Angeles, but did not know for sure.
You know guys, I was just thinking about this... It doesn't sound right to me.
$500,000 damage for a RAILCAR?!?!
WTF... It's nothing but a big steel box with steel wheels under it?!?!
How does fire and smoke "damage" a steel box?
Unless I'm missing something here - I just don't see it.

And that was supposed to be "damage" - it didn't say it was a total loss.

I think the fireman was a little too engrossed in his "15-seconds" of fame.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
You can rivet charred VIN plates to other cars all you want. It's still one less '69 Super Bee in the world.
Roy Rogers made a fortune dealing in real estate and development. One of his interview quotes that has stuck in my mind for over 20 years is the following...
"Yup, real estate is perhaps the best investment a man can partake of. It complies directly with the law of supply and demand, and they ain't makin' no more of the stuff. It's all here, right now. So start dealin'."

I have found the same applies to certain cars. Vettes. Camaros. Firebirds. Mustangs. Super-Bees. RoadRunners. GTOs. Baracudas.
Just about any of the classics or musclecars have demand, and the supply is now fixed - in fact dwindling, because everyday there is one lost in a wreck, a house fire, a boxcar fire(?), or whatever reason.

I just COULDN'T be the guy that operates a car crusher or shredder at a recycle center... I don't think I could physically send American muscle iron into a melter.
I'd have to OD on Prozac every night when I got home.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by ProudPony
I just COULDN'T be the guy that operates a car crusher or shredder at a recycle center... I don't think I could physically send American muscle iron into a melter.
I'd have to OD on Prozac every night when I got home.
I'd buy them all for the price of scrapmetal, (what is it about a nickel per pound?).....put them all in one place and call it, Z284ever's Vintage Boneyard.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:24 PM

I agree totally. How could you sleep at night knowing that you just destroyed a piece of automotive history
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
I'd buy them all for the price of scrapmetal, (what is it about a nickel per pound?).....put them all in one place and call it, .
Wanna business partner?!?!

Instead of "Z284ever's Vintage Boneyard", how about

"Spare American Muscle"

We can section the lot off into quadrants for Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, and Mopar.
Guess which section I'll be setting prices for...

It needs to be somewhere near Pennsylvania IMO... near Carlisle or the Kentucky boarder... there just seem to be SO MANY CAR SHOWS in that area every year.

So when do we draw up our contract?

PS - I know of a closed junkyard down here in NC - about 3 miles from my office in fact - that is LOADED with old iron of all makes. The lot opened @1962, and was closed when the owner died in 1990 - yup, 1990. It sits back away from the highway - not easily seen. Nobody has been allowed inside ('cept ME!) and all the goodies are still there. I found a Cobra Jet Cougar XR7, about 10 '65/'66 Mustang convertibles (one is an A-code 4bbl), original square Bronco's and Blazers from the '60's and '70's, oh just about everything you can imagine. It has GM stuff too, but I wasn't looking at that stuff as hard as the Ford stuff. I spotted a '69 Mach 1, 351-4v, 4spd, Wimbledon White with deluxe red Mach 1 interior. Saw '70's model Berlinettas and LT's, and a couple 2nd gen Z-28's. I recall a split-bumper or two in there too. There's about 35 acres stuffed FULL of old cars. Most of them still have the engines and interiors still in them - many not even wrecked. He - the dead owners' son - just doesn't care about cars... plain and simple. We could probably get the whole she-bang for free - just to haul them off his property for him!

The owner told me if I found anything I liked, he'd sell it to me right. Just make him an offer.
I'm angling for a move on the CJ-XR7 Cougar and the '69 Mach... how does $500 for both sound?
He's sold 1 or 2 cars to friends for $200 or so a piece already.

Sorry for getting off track... I get giddy when I start talking about hidden treasures like that!

Last edited by ProudPony; 05-05-2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:35 AM

Wanna business partner?!?!

Instead of "Z284ever's Vintage Boneyard", how about

"Spare American Muscle"

We can section the lot off into quadrants for Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, and Mopar.
Guess which section I'll be setting prices for...

It needs to be somewhere near Pennsylvania IMO... near Carlisle or the Kentucky boarder... there just seem to be SO MANY CAR SHOWS in that area every year.

So when do we draw up our contract?

PS - I know of a closed junkyard down here in NC - about 3 miles from my office in fact - that is LOADED with old iron of all makes. The lot opened @1962, and was closed when the owner died in 1990 - yup, 1990. It sits back away from the highway - not easily seen. Nobody has been allowed inside ('cept ME!) and all the goodies are still there. I found a Cobra Jet Cougar XR7, about 10 '65/'66 Mustang convertibles (one is an A-code 4bbl), original square Bronco's and Blazers from the '60's and '70's, oh just about everything you can imagine. It has GM stuff too, but I wasn't looking at that stuff as hard as the Ford stuff. I spotted a '69 Mach 1, 351-4v, 4spd, Wimbledon White with deluxe red Mach 1 interior. Saw '70's model Berlinettas and LT's, and a couple 2nd gen Z-28's. I recall a split-bumper or two in there too. There's about 35 acres stuffed FULL of old cars. Most of them still have the engines and interiors still in them - many not even wrecked. He - the dead owners' son - just doesn't care about cars... plain and simple. We could probably get the whole she-bang for free - just to haul them off his property for him!

The owner told me if I found anything I liked, he'd sell it to me right. Just make him an offer.
I'm angling for a move on the CJ-XR7 Cougar and the '69 Mach... how does $500 for both sound?
He's sold 1 or 2 cars to friends for $200 or so a piece already.

Sorry for getting off track... I get giddy when I start talking about hidden treasures like that!

I would love to just spend a day walking through that place! Just awesome.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
I would love to just spend a day walking through that place! Just awesome.
We (my dad and I) started at 3:30pm, and walked until it was so dark we couldn't see anymore. We saw MAYBE 1/2 to 2/3 of the yard quickly, taking a few minutes to look at certain models we were particularly interested in. I was so torn-up when we left, I had NO APPETITE for dinner that night. I ate a peice of bread at the dinner table, and talked to wifey about what I saw and what it was worth while she ate - honest to goodness.

A VINTAGE Mercury Marauder big block 4bbl car - like 1965 or so - and it was an orange/red color.
Buick Gran Sport (I think it was anyways, I didn't scope it too much)...
Chevelles...

OK, finishing the story - my neice is getting married 22May04, and she wants to do it at MY HOUSE. While I am flattered that she wants to do it there because of the view, the "pretty" factor, etc, IT IS KILLING MY HOBBIES!!! For the last couple months now, I have done yard work, paint, hung 17 new window shudders, worked on the deck, moved furniture... you name it.
Easter weekend, I offered her $1000 to elope - she said her dad offered her $5000 to do the same! She was holding out for $10k! :in joking voice:
Anyhow, after the wedding and everything settles down, I'll be back in Gene's junkyard choosing my pickins.

I seriously thought about buying his whole yard from him before it rots away, and actually paying a couple gearheads to sell the cars or strip parts to sell commercially or on the internet. I talked myself out of it because I was afraid it would take up too much of my time and become a full-time job, and also because I was too afraid that the guys would rob me blind when I wasn't there to keep an eye on them.
I have NO DOUBT that there's over $1-million in cars and parts in that yard - IF they were marketed to the right buyers.

What IS a guy to do?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmmm, next time I am in the area I'll have to look you up. I love scrounging through old junkyards!

I used to have a couple of ones I'd like to visit when I lived in Alaska that were a lot like you describe. They don't use salt on the roads in most places there, so none of the bodies had hardly any rust either. It's kind of scary to think how much money I could dump into restoring some of those cars. Well, scary to my wife.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:54 AM

What IS a guy to do?
What's a guy to do?

If the price is right....buy it dude!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:29 AM

Just an update on the railcar.

The 2005 Mustang begins production in the begining of July and actually goes on sale September 7th.

Seems the claim of 2005 Mustangs being on the railcar is false or at least a typo.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by guionM

The 2005 Mustang begins production in the begining of July and actually goes on sale September 7th.

Seems the claim of 2005 Mustangs being on the railcar is false or at least a typo.
PaperTarget - are you there?
Guy just spilled the beans.

FWIW, there will be Mustangs on the street in August, but not on dealer's lot's with window stickers.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by guionM

Guy, No newspaper articles or photos to be found on the railcar?

I've probably wasted an hour or two searching LA area newspapers online, and found nothing but the same old words.

Help me out here...
If the police are investigating, would there be any public record or accident reports I could access?
Old 05-05-2004, 03:52 PM

PaperTarget - are you there?
Guy just spilled the beans.

FWIW, there will be Mustangs on the street in August, but not on dealer's lot's with window stickers.
LOL, yeah I'm here, still want more information though. When did this change Yet, this is good news
Old 05-06-2004, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by PaperTarget
LOL, yeah I'm here, still want more information though. When did this change Yet, this is good news
It never "changed".

I have a copy of an (internal?) Ford memo to rental agency fleet buyers dated months ago... it spells it all out nice and pretty! Order dates, production dates, available delivery dates, etc.

SO I guess that little wager is DEFINITELY not going to happen now, eh?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 AM

But why is Job1 still listed as September 7th? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means they don't start building in mass until then.

Quick Reply: $1MM of Mustangs Burned in Railcar Accident