Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Anyone belong to SAE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Anyone belong to SAE?

Really slow around here.... lets try and generate some discussion.

A couple years ago I bought a tech paper online from SAE, and signed up for their mailings. The advertisements for the tech seminars are really tempting. The latest sessions include:

-Powertrain selection for fuel econmy and acceleration performance

-Evaporative and refueling emissions control

-Improving fuel efficiency with engine oils

-Static and dynamic sealing

-Fundamentals of hybrid electric vehicles

-Automotive fuel cell systems

-Combustion and emissions for engineers

-Fundamentals of modern vehicle transmissions

The courses sound great, but the cost is on the high end at $1,115 - $1,465 for non-members, with a ~10% discount for members. They are either 2- or 3-day seminars, this time in Troy, MI.

Future topics include:

-Tolerance stack-up analysis

-Threaded fasteners and bolted joints

-Emissions-related OBD systems: a design overview.

I really regret not using my mechanical engineering degree by working in the automotive industry. Obviously, at this point in my life (retirement age) its too late to change careers. But I'd really like to expand my expertise in the automotive engineering field, even if its only for "hobby" use.

Any thoughts, pro or con?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Im a SAE member, only because I was on the Formula SAE team at Virginia Tech.

IMHO, unless you work in the field, they are not worth the cost. But since you are wanting to do it basically as information for a hobby, it really depends on if you want it or not.

For most people I would say not to do it. Simply because it is more advanced than most can comprehend. However in your case, Im sure you know it quite well and can really absorb the information given.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM

I am a S.A.E. member. There are other good things to do besides taking the classes. Going to seminars,dinners.and expositions are not nearly as expensive. The classes are priced for workers whose company foots the bill. A highlight was going to a morning talk,discussion, and question & answer show regarding the Performance Aftermarket Industry. The 3 speakers were John Force,Carrol Shelby,and Steve Saleen. At this Expo they had numerous displays of cool stuff - Aston Martin body stampings,Military prototype assault vehicles,V10 AC Cobra Concept, and a Red Ford GT that you could sit in (Lord I wanted the key bad,probably would of ended up in jail),etc,etc. Hook up with your local chapter and attend a dinner meeting (world class food and very informative).
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Good feedback!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM

SAE is best in Detroit

Fred
I was an SAE member for hmm probably 18 years, and let my membership lapse. SAE is very engine, electronics, suspension -centric, in that order.
My work is outside that realm, and I work for an OEM.

Autoengineer is good magazine (or whatever its called). I read the boss' copy still.
Seminars are definitely priced for a company to foot the bill. So many topics are niche discussions.

The Detroit chapter is probably the largest, but I don't live there anymore, so I can't report on how active. Used to do some neat talks, occasionaly tours when I was a kid (Dad was a member).

If there is an active chapter in your area, it might be worth joining (magazine, discount on papers) and local stuff, but the seminars are pricey, and the World Congress was not for me (due to my niche job).

The money for a seminar would be better spent directly on the Formula.

Regards
KenB

PS been years since we've corresponded on Fbody (FIREBIRD) boards.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 AM

i have been thinking about this also and i am looking forward to some feedback from someone who has attended

Last edited by dangalla; 08-18-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:48 AM

I downloaded the LT1 cooling system article and got the mailings after that. Some of the seminars look interesting but for the price I think a bit out of reach for the enthusiast.

PRI magazing has some intersting stuff in it, work started recieving it because among other things we do trade show fixtures, counters and such. We are NOT in the auto industry.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 AM

Re cooling LT1. I learned alot from Ray Bohacz HP books... "cooling systems" from Summit. He had alot of good ideas and data on engine cooling and heat transfer/ thermodynamics. I also converted my app to Evan waterless due to idea in his publication. I had to invent a mod for a LT style WP bypass, but, I lov the waterless Evans NPG stuff. Great for FI app. Anyway, Evanscooling.com has good info on the LT reverse cooling design. B.