Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 05:15 PM

12 bolt

I have a 93 Z and am currently in the process of building it into a street/strip car. One of the first things to go is the stock 10 bolt with new 3.73 gears. My girlfriend's dad has a 12 bolt in good condition that he tried to sell me when I redid my gears. I don't know what its out of, but I assume an early 90's chevy pickup. I will ask him next time I see him. My question to you guys is can I use it in my camaro? Would it be possible to use the pumpkin 12 bolt and reuse my axle housings? If so, how many mods and how hard would it be to make it work? I am looking to do this cheaper than new, but if I have to go new then I am looking at 9 inchers. Please help me out. Everyone I have talked to has no idea.

John
Old 05-17-2003, 07:25 AM

Sorry for the lack of info earlier guys. The 12 bolt is out of a full size chevy blazer. I don't know the year, but most likely mid 80's. It has a 3.42 Posi, but I'm not sure about the axles. Is there a way that I could weld on brackets for the torque arm and get the axles and axle housings shortened and welded back together to fit the camaro?

John
Old 05-17-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by always2fast4u
Sorry for the lack of info earlier guys. The 12 bolt is out of a full size chevy blazer. I don't know the year, but most likely mid 80's. It has a 3.42 Posi, but I'm not sure about the axles. Is there a way that I could weld on brackets for the torque arm and get the axles and axle housings shortened and welded back together to fit the camaro?

John
Anything is possible, but you face a number of problems. Without listing them, the bottom line is that unless you can do the work yourself, it won't be cost effective copmpared to buying a unit ready to bolt in, IMHO. If you have the tools and skills, I am thinking you wouldn't be asking here.

Besides the obvious issues of mounting the springs and torque arm and getting it to fit, there's the brakes to consider. Another is the need to eliminate the C-clips used to retain the axles on the stock unit. Also, if the thing is from an 80's car, most likely the posi is shot and the gears quite worn, so will need replacement anyway.

Rich Krause
Old 05-17-2003, 09:22 AM

My girlfriends dad was gonna check on it today when he goes to his shop. I was planning on going with either 3.73 or 4.10 anyway. I have 3.73 now and heard that 4.10 work nicely on M6. What all would I have to do to get it to work? I am around a lot of guys with tools and ability. Especially ability. Would I use anything off the 10 bolt?

John
Old 05-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Administrator

What all would I have to do to get it to work?
Rich outlined what you have to do to make it work:

Solve the width issue:

-either reuse your existing axle tubes, with the ends modified for C-clip eliminators. Will need new axles to match the truck carrier, and obviously the torque capacity of the 12-bolt.

-Or, have the width of the truck setup narrowed or widened, whichever is necessary with new tubes, c-clip eliminators and adopt the brake mounts. Will need new axles as above.

Solve the mounting issues:

-add a TA mount

-If you are reusing the old axle tubes, you will have the mounts for the springs, torque arm, shocks and panhard rod.

-If not, strip all old clips of the truck tubes, and weld on your old TA, LCA, shock and panhard rod mounts

Solve the "condition" issues:

-Are the gears any good? Are they the ratio you want?

-Is the carrier a posi? If it is, does it need a rebuild? If it is, is it a heavy duty unit?

-Do you want to keep your ABS? If so, add reluctor gear to carrier and sensor to housing.

-new bearings, etc.

You might want to try a "search" here on Advanced Tech, or on "LT1 Tech", since this subject has been covered many times in the past.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:45 PM

Most cost effctive way to install a 12 bolt...Buy an axle and housing kit from Moser or Strange

Right now you can get a complete Moser from Randy's Ring & Pinion REAL cheap

Call them and use EXT# 5579