3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Tranny possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Banned

Tranny possibilities

Well, what are viable tranny possibilities instead of my M5? I need something that will handle 300+hp.
Will sticking in an LS1 tranny (M6) work? How much is needed to make it fit in correctly?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:07 PM

Re: Tranny possibilities

To go to a LS1 M6 you'll need to change tranny crossmembers,get your driveshaft shortened (or just find an M6 LS1 D/S),and I think you'll need to buy something to convert the computerized speedo in the trans. to a mechanical speedo (cable driven) like the one in your 3rd gen. Not sure where to find it or what its called,but I've heard about them.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned

^Ah snap.. so it wont be easy?
How can I do this in an *easy* fashion?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
^Ah snap.. so it wont be easy?
How can I do this in an *easy* fashion?
you dont want the LS1 tranny you want the LT1 tranny. The 6 speed (called the t-56) out of the 93-97 LT1's is a virtual bolt in to your car all you really need is a custom crossmember which you can buy from spohn. The preffered years are 94-97 because they are stronger and have better gear sets.

Personally where i live it is virtually impossible to find a used t-56 and a new one is completly out of my price range. So i am opting for the Tremec (same company that makes the t-56) TKO 600 which is a 5 speed rated to even more horsepower then the t-56. You can buy the whole setup for around 1900 american. All you will need is an aftermarket bellhousing (the reccomended one if a lakewood bell as it is extremely safe and allows you to use all of the t-5 components), your torque arm will bolt right up, and supposedly the crossmember will also bolt up but you need a spacer and possibly to elongate some holes. You also need an aftermarket slip yoke and U-joint but the driveshaft does not need to be altered. Here is my post on tgo about the TKO http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hreadid=291297

for more info on the t-56 just do a search on thirdgen.org and you will find more info then you could ever want.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

^Thank you for the link Dough
I thought that the LS1 m6's were tougher than the LT1 m6's????
Can you point me in the direction of that custom crossmember from Spohn to make an LT1 T56 work in place of my T5?
Heck.. if the LT1 m6 is damn near a direct bolt-in, then I will look more into that Thanx for the insite
Old 04-20-2005, 03:39 PM

the LS1 tranny is better but there are a ton of things that make it basically impossible to bolt up to anything other then an ls1, no one does it cause its not worth the time.

here is the link to the spohn crossmember http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1316

I am 99% sure that everything else on your t-5 will work with the t-56. The bellhousing on the t-56 bolts up perfectly to your engine, and i believe all of the hydraulics/linkages/clutch work as well. Not 100% sure on if you can re-use the clutch but i think you can, although its probably time for an upgrade over stock anyways. Your driveshaft does not need to be altered and the torque arm bolts up perfectly. I think the only thing is the lt1 speedo is electircal and yours is mechanical so to hook up your speedo you have to buy a box from i have no idea where that costs a couple hundred bucks. I guess you could probably also just put an aftermarket tack in your car but im not sure on that.

Like i said use the search button on tgo to find more info you should get everything that you need. This is by far the easiest route to go, and youre generally looking for a 94-97 trans because they have better gearsets and are rated to 450 ft lbs as opposed to the 93 which i think is rated to 400. Dont worry too much about those numbers tho because lots of people are running 500+ hp through these trans with no problems.

I am choosing to go with the tko simply because i cant find any used t-56's here in ontario and its not worth shipping them over the border. I also like the tko because its 30 lbs lighter and rated to 500 ft lbs but no 6th gear.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

Thanx for the x-member link
Yes, the spedo is mechanical on the car, but I dunno about the tach. What is that black box called that I would need to convert it or whatever?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:18 PM

OOPS brain cramp i meant speedo not tach my mistake

gimme 1 sec and ill see if i can find on tgo where to get the box but you should be able to find it

EDIT: tons more good info http://www.skulte.com/T56.html

EDIT: EDIT: "No, it is different. Get the trans, bell housing, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics, shifter, and all hardware. You'll need them all."

apparently i was wrong you need all of those from the t-56. Seriously to a quick search on www.thirdgen.org/techbb2 (thats the link to the msg board) and you will easily find everything you need. I doubt ill know the answers to any of your other questions so if you can find answers by searching put up a post in the tranny section

Last edited by doug791; 04-20-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

But if I were to get a mechanical spedo, where would it hook up? WOuldn't I have to change EVERYTHING spedo-related over to accept an electronic spedo?

On second note, the more I look at this project, the more of a pain in the *** and more difficult it seems It really isn't a direct bolt-in. I would have to play around w/ the electrical, get different axles (i think I saw that in the article link you gave me..), pull the engine so I can screw arround with the flywheel and bellhousing, etc...
Isn't there a damn easier way? (lol)
Old 04-20-2005, 09:40 PM

You shouldnt have a problem doing the entire swap from underneath the cars.

With the Electrical speedo you can either buy the box that is plug and play but i think it costs 300 dollars, and then it will work with your mechanical speedo. Or you can just buy the autometer speedo specified in the skulte article.

There is very minimal in terms of actually having to wire up electrical stuff you have to do one or two things i think for the reverse light and reverse lockout (might be making up the lockout part) but not much there.

And you definitly dont need a different axel. The transmission is about as bolt in as they come. You just need to swap all of the t-56 transmission components onto your car and they all bolt up perfectly. You should be able to get all of the pieces from the same car that the trans came out of.

Really this is about as easy as it gets. All youre doing is a full transmission swap where everything bolts up perfect, no fab work, and a tiny tiny tiny bit of electrical work that if you are capable of swapping out all of the mechanical parts will be really easy to do if you can follow instructions. If you dont feel comfortable with this youre not going to be able to swap any transmission into your car, and should aquire all the parts and have it done by a professional.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Banned

^Very good post bro
But where would the electrical gauge hook up too? I looked at autometers website via linky on skultes webpage, but I dont know the diameter of the gauge in my car
What diameter spedo is in my car?
And will the autometer gauge fit rigt in the dash?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:05 PM

other then just buying the 300 dollar box to make it plug and play i have no experience with aftermarket gauges. Either someone else will have to chime in or might be worth starting a new post. I wouldnt be too worried about it until you get a bit more serious about the swap tho. Once you find a transmission and all the parts you need you can worry about your speedo cause it wont be that big of a deal
Old 04-21-2005, 03:56 AM

Hi...well i just finished doing what you want to do to my 89. You have to get a bellhousing to fit your motor and the T56. I had to research alot on the internet to find the man who sells them.. www.weirhotrodproducts.com
He will sell you the bell housing you will need. The speedo you have a three options....auto meter sells one, dakota digital sells one and Year One sells the black box type you may be looking for. I bought mine out of CA and ill retrieve that name for you soon.It was alot less then what year one wants for theirs.You will need a aftermarket torque arm with the T56 and a drive shaft from LS1 or LT1 camaro. The T56 comes in a mechanical and a hydraulic version. I would recommend you get the mechanical (least modifications). You can find good deals on T56 trannies on Ebay. I got mine there with a Centerforce clutch for $1100. I hope this helps you some in your decisions....Good Luck!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

^masiroc566, the easiest way to do the spedo is prolly just getting an electrical one, right? Where would I plug the elec. spedo into?
Wont the stock T56 bellhousing fit in my 305? I really dont wanna spend a whole lot on the spedo portion, so whatever would be the cheapest way (prolly the elec. spedo way, as I can find gauges for very cheap)
Old 04-21-2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
^masiroc566, the easiest way to do the spedo is prolly just getting an electrical one, right? Where would I plug the elec. spedo into?
Wont the stock T56 bellhousing fit in my 305? I really dont wanna spend a whole lot on the spedo portion, so whatever would be the cheapest way (prolly the elec. spedo way, as I can find gauges for very cheap)
Okay...heres the name where i bought mine...it was less than $200....www.abbott-tach.com
go to products and what you are seeking is the cable X....the cable goes to your speedometer...and you will have to get a electrical pigtail from the tranny speedo to the cable x box. Im not sure if that bell housing will fit...the reason i went through Weir is becuz I put a 1 piece real main seal motor in mine. http://www13.brinkster.com/scbaeb/camaro/Mods/Upgrade/ this site will basically show you what you will need...

Quick Reply: Tranny possibilities