3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related
View Poll Results: Carb or EFI
Go carbed and save a few bux.
24.14%
Stick with the EFI, pinch my pennies and go in the original direction.
75.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

To carb or not to carb....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Re: To carb or not to carb....

Originally Posted by damien8618
exactly. so why were people laughing at me when I stated what you just stated earlier? fi is for street and carbs are for racing
Because that's NOT what he just said !
For Christ's sake, please just get out of my thread.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:25 PM

apparently damien8618 didn't understand my post . maybe when he gets out of school the light will go on and he'll say h
Old 02-11-2006, 06:26 PM

what did you say that was different from what I said? you guys are so ****ing anoying. heres a thought, point out the things i said that you dissagree with. this whole augument needs to be cleared up. we're like little kids fighting. I still dont understand what you found wrong with what I said.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:08 PM

I guess this is a street car too??? http://www.lethalefi.com/ And this one http://www.rpmag.com/coverstory/issu...story1104.html
Old 02-11-2006, 07:28 PM

i guess he put a carb on his car too.
you are sounding retarted. only reason a lot of racers put carbs on their cars is for $$$. they are way cheaper than a FI setup. So you are telling me my non emmisions legal. Holley Stealth Ram MPFI is for controlling emmisions.

like the others said. stay in school.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 PM

no, I said fi was created to control emissions and meet C.A.F.E. standards, and I'm right. No real drag racer is going to use a system that uses sensors located through out his engine. first of all its way too unreliable and second its way too easy to break. sensors are elctronic and electronics don't like heat, duh. these are drag cars: http://drag.race-cars.com/carsales/c...64961447pp.htm and http://drag.race-cars.com/carsales/c...25367492pp.htm and http://drag.race-cars.com/carsales/c...88141203pp.htm
Old 02-12-2006, 12:56 PM

the second car is a street car just but its a sweet street car
Old 02-13-2006, 01:28 AM

Even 50's vettes had a fuel injection option and it wasn't for emissions. It's much easier to fine tune a carberator, but FI is much more efficient. You can't justify your argument by providing a couple of pictures of race/street cars with carberators. He is another FI race car running 8.50s.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220418

Last edited by Sweetred95ta; 02-13-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:07 AM

Stay HSR, I hav run both a carb and a HSR back to back on the same day. The carb was tuned by a good friend of mine. I scrapped the carb project.

EDIT: Ugh, christ almighty. NO, Fuel injection is NOT for Emissions. Its for reliability. Fuel injection is MORE fine-tunable than a carb. If you haven't messed around with the parameters in the ECM of a fuel injected car, and have only "tuned a carb", well, then its apparent you're talking out of your ***. Relying on a linear function like vacuum/"The Vanturi effect" to be "accurate" is stretching things a bit. If your car needs x amount of fuel and x amount of timing at say 3500-4300 rpms how do you tune THAT with a carb? I know how to do it with fuel injection. You tell it to and it does it. Carbs are close, but fuel injection is dead nuts on.

Stay in school kids. Carbs are for saving money, Period.

Last edited by RedIrocZ-28; 02-13-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by damien8618
and nobody has answerd my question. why do you guys think fi is something that can be used in a real drag car?
Matt Harlan, Twin Turbo LS1, Fuel injected, 8.2 @ ~170mph. Now if thats not a real drag car, I don't know what is. Oh, $10 says Matt would drive it every day to work. Try that with a low 8 second carburated car
Old 02-13-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28
Matt Harlan, Twin Turbo LS1, Fuel injected, 8.2 @ ~170mph. Now if thats not a real drag car, I don't know what is. Oh, $10 says Matt would drive it every day to work. Try that with a low 8 second carburated car
I posted that link a couple of posts up. Just in case.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:53 PM

Just because a car runs 6 secs dosent mean its a race car. why do you guys think a fast car is a drag car? I've seen a scooter fitted with nitros almost smoke a trans am. does that mean its a drag car? A drag car is a car built for racing, is fast, and can run the 1/8 or 1/4 consistently with miminal breakdown for hundreds of passes. Go to any IHRA event and try to find a professional drag car running fi. you guys keep talking about strret drag cars while I'm talking about professional drag cars. I think thats why we're having this argument, we're not on the same page. Look at nascar, what does it run fi or carbs?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:34 PM

As far as Nascar goes, it would be impossible to control EFI and computer management in order to keep the cars equal.
I guess this guy isn't a professional > http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=6008516

You might want to read this one > http://www.ihra.com/news/2004/march/9hirata.htm

And this one> http://www.nhra.com/streetlegal/funfacts.html

This is at the bottom of the page >
Top Fuel Dragsters: The fastest-accelerating vehicles in the world, these are the most recognizable of all drag race cars. The 25-foot-long landlocked missiles can cover the quarter-mile in 4.4 seconds at speeds faster than 335 mph. The engine of choice is an aluminum version of the famous Chrysler Hemi. The supercharged, fuel-injected nitromethane-burning engines produce an estimated 7,000 horsepower.

A 7,000 HORSEPOWER non-professional STREET CAR????????
Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 PM

hey red irocz-28, have you ever heard of the air/fuel mixture screws on a carb? aparently not. a carb is alot more reliable then fi, because there is nothing to go wrong. everything is mechanical. its obvious u know nothing about carbs like evrybody else on this thread. you guys think carbs are antiques while in fact todays race carbs are alot more advanced then alot of fi. u guys think just because something is electronic its high tech. I agree fi is a nice setup and I'd like to build up a LS1 car sometime. But if I was a professional drag racer and wanted to win every weekend I wouldn't even consider fi. another thing about fi is its so limited. can u hook a comp up to ur fi and change the cfm? but u can bolt on a dominater 4500 series 1250 cfm on that would literly suck the hood down if you had the engine and wanted to.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 PM

you guys are so anoying, you keep trying to compare apples to oranges. nitro cars are not gasoline cars, duh. you cant put nitro through a carb. and the nitro is injected in three different places. the system is also mechanically controled, not electronic controlled. nitro cars are like dumping a engine full of nos at high rpm, lol. you dont even need to mix air with the nitro because nitro has 2 atoms of oxygen. these cars burn a gallon of nitro a sec! these cars dont even have gear boxes! lol these cars are just below a jet powered car. hmmm wonder if the jet cars run carbs, lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Quick Reply: To carb or not to carb....